NFL 2018 Superb Owl Edition: Is There A Way To Tell If Gronk Is Concussed?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The last few pages have been comedy gold.

Also, one thing that hasn’t been brought up. Is it possible that one of the motivations for McDaniel’s decision was that he got more information about Luck’s injury and got cold feet? It seems like a crazy idea to turn down the Colts’ job if Luck is healthy, even if it’s only at 90%.

Maybe, although you'd think the Colts would be guarding that information pretty carefully.  I think it's more likely that they have some sort of informal arrangement with the Patriots for McD to take over when Belichik leaves, and that is expected in a year or two.  It's quite possible that Bill's appetite for coaching the post-Brady Patriots left with Garappolo. 

13 hours ago, Rockroi said:

I kinda did.  I kinda predicted it a day ago.  

You predicted that McDaniels would accept the job, the Colts would send out press releases and a live stream event, hire assistant coaches already, and then McDaniels will change his mind?

Daaaaamn

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Maybe, although you'd think the Colts would be guarding that information pretty carefully.  I think it's more likely that they have some sort of informal arrangement with the Patriots for McD to take over when Belichik leaves, and that is expected in a year or two.  It's quite possible that Bill's appetite for coaching the post-Brady Patriots left with Garappolo. 

You could very well be right, especially about Luck’s situation. The only push back I’d give is that any prospective HC would want to know more than what’s publicly known about Luck’s health. And I do believe that McDaniels will be the next HC in NE. The die is mostly cast on that one.

The one thing I don’t get though is why would McDaniels want to put his future in the hands of Brady age 42 or 43 rather than 28 year old Luck? Seems like a monster gamble, especially if Brady shows more signs of decline, which he probably will.

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Another Colts HC option I haven’t seen discussed: Why not take a one year Jim Tomsula ride?

Thoughts Jace?

Great idea, right?

Pagano still has a couple years left on his contract, right?

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Another Colts HC option I haven’t seen discussed: Why not take a one year Jim Tomsula ride?

Thoughts Jace?

Great idea, right?

While I'm sure she enjoys a good mustache ride as much as the next Colts fan, sadly... its not meant to be... he shaved his mustache while working with the Redskins. :( 

The Colts requested to interview Saints TEs coach/assistant head coach Dan Campbell for their head-coaching vacancy.

Campbell, 41, was the Dolphins' interim head coach in 2015 after the team fired Joe Philbin. He's been in New Orleans with Sean Payton ever since and interviewed for the Vikings' OC job a couple weeks back. Campbell is a riser in the coach ranks and joins Eagles OC Frank Reich in the Colts' new search.

-rw
Eesh.

I'm starting to actually get bothered now. I sat up all night waiting for the morning shows and first PFT wasn't on TV for some reason even though I'VE WATCHED IT BEFORE.

Then I watched the Good Morning Football morons declare how LOYAL McDaniels is to his FAMILY and HIMSELF.

Literally brushing off the three families he stabbed in the nuts like the accessories to brain fuckery that they are.

And the Colts? Eh.

That's all we are. Another Eh team.

Andrew Luck is never playing again (that's not why McD backed out), there's no coach. The coach will have a D-Coordinator and offensive staff he doesn't know. Chris Ballard is a fucking loser, all Colts fans have been put back in the toybox where we belong.

And the worst part is that nobody cares. The coverage, the PROFESSIONAL COVERAGE, of the news has weighed like 4-1 in the direction of celebrating McDaniels and the Patriots instead of wondering what happens to Indy now.

The fucking Bucs are a more nationally respected team.

This really kind of hurts.

I wasn't joking when I said I could handle McDaniels backing out the other day, I just didn't expect that the narrative would be Chris Ballard standing limp wristed in front of a podium 'declaring' that the 'rivalry is back on'.

FUCK THAT LOSER

There hasn't been a rivalry since '0fucking9

Rivalry my sweet white ass. I suppose my battle with substance abuse is also a 'rivalry' even though I haven't won a contest in a decade.

I'm actually wounded.

Well, there is at least some immediate fallout for McDaniel's pulling the Lucy to the Colts' Charlie Brown. 

McDaniels' agent has dropped him as a client.

One odd fragment of Josh McDaniels leaving Indianapolis in the lurch was the revelation that the offensive coordinator shared an agent, Bob LaMonte, with Colts GM Chris Ballard.

Shared. Past tense.

LaMonte confirmed to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo that he terminated his relationship with McDaniels. ESPN first reported the split.

"My word is my bond. Once you break that, there's nothing left," LaMonte told Garafolo.

Going forward, it will be interesting to see how toxic McDaniels will be. He'd better hope that the Pats are more honorable than he is because it doesn't seem that there is anything in writing that he is the heir apparent. So if Kraft changes his mind, would ANYONE else be willing to hire him? I doubt it. Plus, you have to wonder if he will have issues hiring assistants once BB retires. The national narrative this past season was that McDaniels had proven he had grown up after all that happened in Denver. He looks even worse now. 

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

The Colts are fully committing to a 4-3 transition.

Before finding a new HC.

Why?

Because they already hired a fucking DC and he comes from a Tampa 2 background.

Tampa 2

The scheme Tom Brady put in the fucking ground 11 years ago.

Tampa 2

Let's take this 'Ed Reed' comparable safety we acquired and just have him chill out deep halv'n all game.

Tampa 2?

Does this mean Leslie Frazier?

Tampa 2?

I... I don't want this.

Tampa 2!?!

WHY?

Tampa 2!?!

GOD WHY? WHAT DID WE DO? WERE OUR SINS SO GREAT!?!

I'm just going to put it out there, because everything else (DAN CAMPBELL!?!) is on the fucking table.

Michigan had a horrible national signing day.

That's it.

No prediction, no hope. Just pointing out that I thought of it too, just in case.

And at this point who gives a fuck? It's all terrible.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

You predicted that McDaniels would accept the job, the Colts would send out press releases and a live stream event, hire assistant coaches already, and then McDaniels will change his mind?

Daaaaamn

Hence the word "kinda."  I said that McDaniels had not informed the Pats that he was taking the Colts job, thus keeping the door open for his return to the Pats. The fact that that then got stretched out over the full day kept me on that.  I am not AT all surprised by this turn of events.  

So, yeah, I kinda did.  

1 minute ago, Rockroi said:

Hence the word "kinda."  I said that McDaniels had not informed the Pats that he was taking the Colts job, thus keeping the door open for his return to the Pats. The fact that that then got stretched out over the full day kept me on that.  

So, yeah, I kinda did.  

To be fair, in hindsight a lot of people 'kinda' saw this coming. Including me seconds after the confetti fell.

Since apparently rehiring washed up SB winning coaches is all the rage, Brian Billick is still available...

In terms of non-trolling possibilities, Kris Richard was the Seattle defensive backs coach (2012-14) and then defensive coordinator (2015-17).  I'm still not sure why he not only hasn't gotten any real HC buzz, but apparently was not rehired in Seattle and is now the Cowboys defensive backs coach?!

I dunno, maybe he's a jerk or something, but his resume is pretty solid.  I've thought for years that he should have gotten a shot at a head job, and he's only 38.   

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Since apparently rehiring washed up SB winning coaches is all the rage, Brian Billick is still available...

In terms of non-trolling possibilities, Kris Richard was the Seattle defensive backs coach (2012-14) and then defensive coordinator (2015-17).  I'm still not sure why he not only hasn't gotten any real HC buzz, but apparently was not rehired in Seattle and is now the Cowboys defensive backs coach?!

I dunno, maybe he's a jerk or something, but his resume is pretty solid.  I've thought for years that he should have gotten a shot at a head job, and he's only 38.   

Actually this crossed my mind last night. I wouldn't be mad at that. Bring him in, let him know that he ain't on no leash but we all know what went down here.

What is there to lose? Get Minkah Fitzpatrick and see if god speaks through this man with the equivalent of Ed Reed(lite) and Derrick Brooks(maybe better?) on the field at the same time.

Like, you all was joking about Tomsula. But is anyone gonna blame the Colts if they Patsy somebody? And are they gonna blame the Patsy?

If ever there was a Jim Zorn moment...

This all falls on Ballard, the best thing the organization can do is to be realistic about this shit and just try not to irrevocably set back the franchise for the next 15 years.

If Luck is truly never coming back, we could be back in contention in 3 or 5 years of nice picks and a new HC to replace TBD.

If Luck is never coming back, we could also end up in a death spiral of a mediocrity spearheaded series of coaches that ultimately ends in a J-E-T-S type of situation. We aren't looking at Browns level shit, but suddenly the division is fucking terrifying and there's one sister who is starting to look awfully lonely on this cold ass street corner.

50 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Well, there is at least some immediate fallout for McDaniel's pulling the Lucy to the Colts' Charlie Brown. 

McDaniels' agent has dropped him as a client.

Going forward, it will be interesting to see how toxic McDaniels will be. He'd better hope that the Pats are more honorable than he is because it doesn't seem that there is anything in writing that he is the heir apparent. So if Kraft changes his mind, would ANYONE else be willing to hire him? I doubt it. Plus, you have to wonder if he will have issues hiring assistants once BB retires. The national narrative this past season was that McDaniels had proven he had grown up after all that happened in Denver. He looks even worse now. 

So, for starters, the Pats cannot promise McDaniels the job because that would violate the Rooney Rule (unless McDaniels was already a minority, because Dungee did that exact thing with Caldwell).  Therefore, the Pats made it seem like 1) Belichick would groom him to be a coach at some point in the future (who knows when or where?????) 2) the usual blah blah blah about the kids and the schools and other lies people believe- like that one about Robert Mathis who claimed he was taking a fertility drug so he could have kids- even though his wife was ALREADY 7 -moths pregnant and the drug was never authorized to be used by men - but was actually taking it to mask his PED use?  Good times!  People always believe stupid things about kids.  

But there is no doubt that McDaniels could never accept this job unless he was promised the NEXT job.  Because he HAS to know he would never again get another job in the foreseeable future in the NFL.

I actually think this is a GREAT move for Josh.  He gets a great job in a functioning, adult and well-established organization with little dysfunction.  Sources are saying that the meeting he had was attended by Robert and Jonathan Kraft, McDaniels and Belichick.  So EVERYONE is on board.  No doubt Belichick told him that he was going to play out his contract runs after the 2018 season and then retire.  So Josh has the job.  There is also the chance that Belichick retires before the 2018 season (waiting for the Butler backlash to die down).  They also gave Josh an extension and for a much longer period of time so he has plenty of money regardless.  

His agent left him.  Well, that agent is also the Colts' GM's agent.  And they have parted ways before.  I don't think this is a factor at all.  And he looks bad, but he is also going to be the Pats' head coach so he does not need to look good for anyone.  Had McDaniels gone to Indy and failed (which looked more and more probable give the fact that Andrew Luck's bones seem to have the consistency of Silly Putty), he wouldnot have gotten another head coaching gig anyway.  This was a great move for the Pats and for McDaniels.  

1 minute ago, Rockroi said:

So, for starters, the Pats cannot promise McDaniels the job because that would violate the Rooney Rule (unless McDaniels was already a minority, because Dungee gave Caldwell that job).  Therefore, the Pats made it seem like 1) Belichick would groom him to be a coach at some point in the future (who knows here?????) 2) the usual blah blah blah about the kids and the schools and other lies people believe- like that one about Robert Mathis who claimed he was taking a fertility drug so he could have kids- even though his wife was ALREADY 7 -moths pregnant and the drug was never authorized to be used by men - but was actually taking it to mask his PED use?  Good times!  People always believe stupid things about kids.  

But there is no doubt that McDaniels could never do this job unless he was promised the job.  Because he HAS to know he would never again get another job in the foreseeable future in the NFL.

I actually think this is a GREAT move for Josh.  He gets a great job in a functioning, adult and well-established organization with little dysfunction.  Sources are saying that the meeting he had was attended by Robert and Jonathan Kraft, McDaniels and Belichick.  So EVERYONE is on board.  No doubt Belichick told him that he was going to play out his contract runs after the 2018 season and then retire.  So Josh has the job.  There is also the chance that Belichick retires before the 2018 season (waiting for the Butler backlash to die down).  They also gave Josh an extension and for a much longer period of time so he has plenty of money regardless.  

His agent left him.  Well, that agent is also the Colts' GM's agent.  And they have parted ways before.  I don't think this is a factor at all.  And he looks bad, but he is also going to be the Pats' head coach so he does not need to look good for anyone.  Had McDaniels gone to Indy and failed (which looked more and more probable give the fact that Andrew Luck's bones seem to have the consistency of Silly Putty), he wouldnot have gotten another head coaching gig anyway.  This was a great move for the Pats and for McDaniels.  

You DICK

YOU DICK YOU DICK

Archived