NFL 2018 Superb Owl Edition: Is There A Way To Tell If Gronk Is Concussed?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I finally got to sit down and watch the 30 for 30 on Parcells and Belichick -- "The Two Bills."

This is the first time these two have been interviewed together since 1991. There's clearly been a lot of water under the bridge for these guys. And the interview happened in Giants Stadium.

It's riveting stuff. Right from the start. Sitting in Belichick's car as he drives to the interview, and the interviewer asks him how he'd describe his relationship with Parcells.

"A friend... A competitor..."

"An enemy?"

"(Long pause) ... A competitor."

There's some great old Giants stuff, including Lawrence Taylor now talking about how skeptical he was of Belichick when he got the DC job in New York, and how Belichick earned his respect. Couldn't help but notice that after they beat the 49ers 49-3 in the 86 playoffs, the defense gave Belichick a Gatorade shower, and then they carried him off the field after they shut out Washington the next week in the NFC title game.

Another interesting perspective, which I hadn't considered before, was that Belichick took the Browns job right after they beat the Bills in the Super Bowl, and then Parcells quit the Giants a few months later when he got a bad heart diagnosis, and a number of Giants players and coaches from those days talked about how they wished Belichick could have taken over from Parcells, and LT said that's when he felt like he was done playing.

Telling moment... Parcells is talking about  how he came to leave the Pats, and they replayed some of the very tense "shopping for the groceries" press conference where he complained about not having personnel control. Parcells, speaking today, says he maybe should have been a little smarter, more diplomatic... "I think it probably would have worked out much like -- maybe not to the extent that it did for Bill -- I just think that it could have worked out better." Heh. Okay Big Bill.

That was a pretty interesting section in general as Kraft talks about how he came to mistrust the league office after Parcells bailed for the Jets during their Super Bowl run. What a weird farce that was, and I barely understood it at the time -- that Parcells couldn't officially accept another head coaching job until Kraft relented in his grievance, so until they agreed on the compensation package, the Jets hired Parcells as a "coaching consultant" and Belichick as the titular HC.

Of course the awkwardness went the other way when Belichick bailed on the Jets, but even then there was some shady shit going on, with the Jets pretending not to see a fax from Kraft (and Scott Pioli now talking about how he got the fax and brought it to Parcells) before Parcells quit as coach to promote Belichick, and that Belichick had wanted a chance to talk to Kraft. It's great to see the press conference footage where Belichick resigned from the Jets. You see him justifying his move, talking about how he'd been subject to Parcells waffling about quitting in the past, and he's animated and a little sarcastic, almost like the Mona Lisa Vito press conference during Ballghazi. And then comes Kraft with a shit-eating grin, "I thought it was a great press conference." You see where so much of Belichick and Kraft's bad blood with the Jets and the league office come from, and the Parcells tension in all of it.

The best part is watching their faces as they talk about each other. Belichick, talking about the Giants days, is deferential to his old boss, and you can see the satisfaction in Parcells' eyes when Belichick tells a flattering story about him. It's actually Trumpian in a way. It's more tense when they talk about the Jets coaching situation, but there's a bit of a reconciliation when Belichick gives Parcells credit for breaking the impasse at the time and brokering the compensation to release Belichick's contract. Then cut a few years later to Belichick and Parcells having a chilly stare across the field each other when Parcells was with the Cowboys... The two of them in the room together were pretty interesting. Belichick acknowledged he made mistakes, Parcells looked really tight-lipped and resentful through it. But apparently they reconciled over golf on Nantucket by making fun of Scott Pioli together (though neither would acknowledge there was really a feud).

One last amazing scene: Parcells and Belichick visit the Giants' trophy room. They look at the four trophies and rings, and Belichick points out the rings, "Those are our two. Those are the two we gave them."

Parcells responds, "You never should have lost that one game. Tyree."

Then they both resist the tour guide trying to take them to the Jets' locker room. "Let's end on a high note," says Parcells.

Overall just a great piece of detailed, insider football history.

Should there not be more traffic in here?

This might be my first ever watched from start to finish without falling asleep superbowl, i'm on Night shift, so unless someone gets murdered i'm watching the whole thing in my office while clearing my emails. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Should there not be more traffic in here?

This might be my first ever watched from start to finish without falling asleep superbowl, i'm on Night shift, so unless someone gets murdered i'm watching the whole thing in my office while clearing my emails. 

Knock on wood. 

Archived