Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion No H8 M8 Just Gr8

The Anti-Targ

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

Not sure where to put this... so I'll just throw it in here.  There's word on the intrawebz of a Venom trailer coming out tomorrow.  

I'm still understandably wary of a Venom movie not featuring Spidey, but I'll check out the trailer of course.

And here it is. It is seriously not very impressive.

A well acted, generic horror with a "hero" who has actual super powers is not a bad formula for a successful movie, if executed well.

I hope Sony is looking at a $500 million global box office max and set the production and marketing budgets accordingly. Sony can't be looking over at Deadpool thinking "Hey, Venom can achieve that!" because the key difference between Venom and Deadpool is that Deadpool was very comedic than that was worth a lot of $$, whereas going for the serious horror angle is not going to draw as big of an audience.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

A well acted, generic horror with a "hero" who has actual super powers is not a bad formula for a successful movie, if executed well.

I hope Sony is looking at a $500 million global box office max and set the production and marketing budgets accordingly. Sony can't be looking over at Deadpool thinking "Hey, Venom can achieve that!" because the key difference between Venom and Deadpool is that Deadpool was very comedic than that was worth a lot of $$, whereas going for the serious horror angle is not going to draw as big of an audience.

I do like that they are going for an October release with the horror focus.  Shooting for the Halloween crowd.

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

I can't decide whether to see Black Panther on opening night or wait for the inevitable "fan edit" with no black people. 

Depends. If you’re short on time the fan edit is surely your best bet :P 

7 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I have no comment on the Venom trailer...it's literally not worth commenting on.

This is cool, though.

I agree about the Venom trailer.  Nothing there yet.

After watching that video I just have to go back.  When I was a young man of 10 or 11 and loved reading Captain America and Iron Man, I never could have imagined or even dreamed that one day we would get 10 years of them.  I know people talk about the Marvel/Superhero fatigue, but I for one do not have that.  I enjoy everything they have put out so far and think I will continue to enjoy them as long as the quality is still there.  The two things I would ask of Marvel is:  get the rights to Dr. Doom and Green Goblin and make those characters right.  Fix my two favorite villians, please.

Took me a while to find a decent high res version, this one's about 11k x 6k

http://deadline.com/2018/02/marvel-cinematic-universe-class-photo-2018-anniversary-1202281813/

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/marvel-class-photo.jpg

So I was looking through the image to try and work out who everyone was, and was trying to work out where I knew the woman next to Sean Gunn from, (turns out it's from Killjoys) and she's playing Ghost in the Ant-Man and the Wasp, which is pretty cool.

I also didn't realise Michelle Pfeiffer was Janet van Dyne.

Vague stream of consiousness no one asked for:

Love Michael Rooker just not caring. What the hell is Vin Diesel wearing? Dave Bautista is outrageously big. Kurt Russel's head is outrageously big. William Hurt in real life is like a dorky grandparent. How does that voice come out of a man who looks like James Spader? Brie Larson looks hella uncomfortable. The guy next to Sebastian Stan looks like he's having a flashback. Frank Grillo's fucking arm veins! Joss Whedon seems to have had a rough few months... Did Taika Waititi purposefully frame his name like that? I can never tell if Michael Douglas is happy or sad. Googling it, Karen Gillen's wig is made from her own hair. Pom Klementieff looks like she came off the set of Miami Vice.

26 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Don't think that's Spader.

As an aside, I'd love to see all the names added to this photo. Some of those writers/directors/producers are going unknown.

This article identifies everyone:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alliehayes/marvel-studios-released-a-10th-anniversary-class-photo?utm_term=.flQ5JW025#.bxR7rKpN7

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

It seems somewhat appropriate that Louis Leterrier is right at the far end, given that I think The Incredible Hulk is probably the Marvel Studios film people are most likely to forget is part of the Universe.

I feel like I should know this... what was Lawrence Fishburne in the MCU?

I was thinking he was editor in Spider-Man... but then I remembered that he was Perry White in Superman. :dunno: 

Archived