Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion No H8 M8 Just Gr8

The Anti-Targ

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Man, there are a lot of leaked clips going up and getting taken down from youtube and similar sites. I'm surprised. I don't remember this happening with previous Marvel movies or even the new Star Wars ones. I mean they're all blurry cell phone clips but the movie hasn't even come out yet. 

Half of them are Ruffalo's from the premiere. :P

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Man, there are a lot of leaked clips going up and getting taken down from youtube and similar sites. I'm surprised. I don't remember this happening with previous Marvel movies or even the new Star Wars ones. I mean they're all blurry cell phone clips but the movie hasn't even come out yet. 

Well, here in Serbia, the movie has been available for selected audience since 24th. Today, 25th and tomorrow, 26th, will be a lot of screenings and on 27th, it will be released fr everyone. I think that's why there's a lot of leakages. A lot of people has already seen the movie.

The initial reviews I've read seem in line with my expectations. Lots of destruction and doom, witty quips and an overall clunkiness to how the whole cast is tied together. Haven't read anything about how fleshed out Thanos is as a character (and if his motivation and philosophy come through well). I'm not willing to venture any deeper into any review to find out though. The biggest challenge for me will be trying to watch the movie without dealing with a massive crowd but also before some internet asshole spoils it for me. 

Eh I think the leaks are from that small group of alt righters that are all butthurt Black Panther made money,

14 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

The initial reviews I've read seem in line with my expectations. Lots of destruction and doom, witty quips and an overall clunkiness to how the whole cast is tied together. Haven't read anything about how fleshed out Thanos is as a character (and if his motivation and philosophy come through well). I'm not willing to venture any deeper into any review to find out though. The biggest challenge for me will be trying to watch the movie without dealing with a massive crowd but also before some internet asshole spoils it for me. 

I;ve heard very good things about Thanos character development.

Wow, we have been auspiciously quiet about this movie... No posting reviews, interviews, nothing...

Have we decided to put a moratorium on IW discussions until 27th? :D

So things have been crazy hectic lately, and I haven't yet been able to see Black Panther. Without giving any spoilers, and considering that Infinity War comes out tomorrow and that I'll most likely go see it next week, is the consensus that BP is a "must-see" in order to grasp all the plot threads, or is it one that not seeing it before seeing Infinity War won't materially impact what's going on in IW? 

For example, I'd consider Thor: Ragnarok must see to explain why Thor and GOTG are suddenly pal-ing around, or CW and the reveal that Bucky is being held in Wakanda.

10 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

So things have been crazy hectic lately, and I haven't yet been able to see Black Panther. Without giving any spoilers, and considering that Infinity War comes out tomorrow and that I'll most likely go see it next week, is the consensus that BP is a "must-see" in order to grasp all the plot threads, or is it one that not seeing it before seeing Infinity War won't materially impact what's going on in IW? 

For example, I'd consider Thor: Ragnarok must see to explain why Thor and GOTG are suddenly pal-ing around, or CW and the reveal that Bucky is being held in Wakanda.

You can likely see IW without seeing BP, but I'd watch BP anyway. It seemed like among the best of Marvel movies to me, perhaps about third. The main thing that might confuse you if you don't see BP is you may not know some of the characters that surround the King and that will be in IW. 

I haven't seen Thor: Ragnarok yet and won't get to before I see IW. I think I'll be mostly all right. I'm going Friday likely to IW, best I can do this week.

Other than not knowing who some of the characters are there's nothing must see about Black Panther for IW. (it's still a really good movie though, and you should see it)

55 minutes ago, Risto said:

Wow, we have been auspiciously quiet about this movie... No posting reviews, interviews, nothing...

If you've already seen it you should just make a spoiler thread like we normally do for big movies. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

If you've already seen it you should just make a spoiler thread like we normally do for big movies. 

Not until tomorrow, well, 26th. There is an associated event and I am "covering" it for a blog here in Serbia.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I've created the spoiler thread.

Us Australians get to see things earlier sometimes, I guess - dying to hear what other people thought about it.

5 hours ago, Risto said:

In a general MCU thread there should never be spoilers for a movie that's not released globally yet, nor anything spoilery for at least 2-3 weeks after globally release. If you wanna talk spoilery-like then a IW (open spoilers) thread should be made.

2 minutes ago, Jeor said:

We are from the future!

Australia is the past. WE are the future.

Interestingly, if BP holds according to form, the MCU will be the first (I think) movie franchise to have 2 movies simultaneously in the USA top 10 at the box office. It was 8th last weekend and it could say 8th or only drop to 9th or 10th this weekend.

This is killing me not being able to discuss it yet! Hopefully some other Australian posts in the spoiler thread eventually.

Based on the presales it looks like Infinity War is going to be the biggest at the box office for 2018. However, given the massive budget (reputedly 300-400 million) and what I've heard is an industry rule of thumb of the box office gross needing 3-4 times budget in order to make a profit, they're really banking a lot on this one.

2 hours ago, Jeor said:

and what I've heard is an industry rule of thumb of the box office gross needing 3-4 times budget in order to make a profit,

Whaaaaaaat. That can only be Hollywood accounting. The most extreme I've ever heard is that big movies typically spend the equivalent of their budget on marketing so they have to double their money to start making bank. But even that sounds a bit much to me tbh.

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In a general MCU thread there should never be spoilers for a movie that's not released globally yet, nor anything spoilery for at least 2-3 weeks after globally release. If you wanna talk spoilery-like then a IW (open spoilers) thread should be made.

I was talking more of a general sentiment than this thread. It's like fans has reached unanimous agreement not to spoil each other. And I find it rather noble.

Archived