Daenerys Targaryen's Power Plays

Mon ami

On 2/2/2018 at 0:43 AM, Helena Kyle said:

Most of her moves are epic.  For something on a smaller scale it's harder to find something better than coming out of the Palace of Dust after outsmarting the undying warlocks in Qarth.  Dany's pages made A Clash of Kings exciting for me. 

yes

On 2/2/2018 at 6:52 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Lots of the one she mentioned are grand in scale, but my favourites are actually those where Dany makes a personal step forward. So I think I will go with either:

1) Leaving her brother in the Dothraki sea to walk behind the khalasar

2) Telling Viserys he has no right to wear braids because he has won no victories and hitting him with the belt.

Viserys is a tragic and complex character in his own right, and I have my sympathies for him, but it was wonderful to see Daenerys develop her independence from him

It's the smaller moments that give a pleasant surprise to me too. 

On 2/3/2018 at 9:28 AM, Sigella said:

This for me as well. A truly vertigo-inducing gamble. 

With great risks come great rewards.  So they say.  Dany put it all on the line to rescue the eunuchs.  One of the few real plot twists. 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Are there any quotes from the book to support this? I thought it was pretty clear she expected to die. 

Rarely do you get a direct quote from George.  Still, Dany's instructions were very precise for it to be an accident.

Daenerys - "I thank you, Mirri Maz Duur, for the lessons you have taught me."  [that death pays for life, to be wary of trusting someone with a grudge, to be more careful in the future, etc.]

Mirri - "You will not hear me scream."  [the witch showing defiance and contempt]

Daenerys - "I will, but it's not your screams I want, only your life." 

Yes, I do believe Daenerys knew what she was doing.

16 hours ago, Bowen 747 said:

Rarely do you get a direct quote from George.  Still, Dany's instructions were very precise for it to be an accident.

Daenerys - "I thank you, Mirri Maz Duur, for the lessons you have taught me."  [that death pays for life, to be wary of trusting someone with a grudge, to be more careful in the future, etc.]

Mirri - "You will not hear me scream."  [the witch showing defiance and contempt]

LOL! I love this scene. It always gives me the chills. I like how you gave some good ideas to what the different book lines mean. I agree. 

"to be wary of trusting someone with a grudge"

I can only hope the kid learned that lesson.  I'm 50/50 on whether a reasonable adult would have trusted MMD.  The witch played her part almost as well as the Freys did prior to the R.W.  You would think the witch is pissed about what the Dothraki did to her village.  Otoh, Dany saved her and showed her kindness so you would think the kindness would be reciprocated in return.  I can understand why MMD would hate Drogo and maybe she did do what somebody said elsewhere on the boards, condemn the man to live like a veggie for the rest of his life.  Veggie as in mute, immobile, and helpless.  It was not said but perhaps the khal even lost control of his bowels.  How humiliating for someone like Drogo to live that way if he still had consciousness.  Anyways it's no justification to kill an innocent baby.  I know it's probably the practical thing to do ala what Gregor did to Rhaegar's family as a favor to Robert.  But morals require us to take risks instead of making an offensive first move to avoid a future threat that may not happen.  That's one difference between the good person and the one who is self serving.  It's easy to put morality ahead of all consideration though because we're debating this over the internet in the comforts of our homes. 

On 2/18/2018 at 5:54 AM, Bowen 747 said:

This is what I wrote

Okay, here's what I think.  It will be evident from the start of the funeral ceremony what could happen.  Dany didn't jump into the fire.  She calmly walked into the fire.  Calmly, no screaming.  I'm saying, whatever her intentions might be, it becomes clear to her whether she would burn or not.  Just getting close to the fire and feeling the heat.  She knew when she got close to the fire whether she would burn or not.  Her vest burned but she herself was not burning.  That would clue anybody in whether they're immune to that fire.

in the subject "Dany's Suicide" in the below link

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/150406-danys-suicide/

On 2/2/2018 at 11:18 PM, Allardyce said:

HotU was a triumph for Dany and Drogon.

Very much so.  Dany came away with knowledge that can prove themselves useful later on. 

I wonder if it was Pyat's his job to look after the undying.  Like the children looked after the greenseers in the cave. 

This comes from Clash.

"Blood of my blood", she told the three of them, "I have need of you.  Each of you is to choose three horses, the hardiest and the healthiest that remain to us.  Load as much water and food as your mounts can bear, and ride forth for me.  Aggo shall strike southwest, Rakharo due south.  Jhogo, you are to follow shierak qiya on southeast."

"What shall we seek, Khaleesi?" asked Jhogo.

"Whatever there is," Dany answered.  "Seek for other cities, living and dead.  Seek for caravans and people.  Seek for rivers and lakes and the great salt sea.  Find how far this waste extends before us, and what lies on the other side.  When I leave this place, I do not mean to strike out blind again.  I will know where I am bound, and how best to get there."

Dany kissed Jorah lightly on the cheek.  It heartened her to see him smile.  I must be strong for him as well, she thought grimly.  A knight he may be, but I am the blood of the dragon.

Good leadership, I say.  Lame compared to her other power decisions but the Op asked for the small stuff.

On 2/5/2018 at 0:16 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Truly a beautiful scene to be hold. I think the fact Dany had saved Tyrion from the lions foreshadow Daenarys saving Tyrion from his own kinsmen(the lions of Casterly Rock). Though severely flawed she is still capable of great compassion especially to those who've nothing.

Very good observation but I disagree on the severely flawed part.  She is the least-flawed out of all the young people in the story. 

Moving on to the lions and the Lannisters, yes, it may foreshadow Daenerys saving Tyrion from Cersei and Jaime.  It does not have to be literal though.  Tyrion is a broken man right now.  A man who murdered his father.  A cynic given to drinking too much.  Perhaps meeting Daenerys will give Tyrion someone to believe in and he can find redemption by dedicating himself to the service of someone, Dany, greater than himself. 

On 2/14/2018 at 0:26 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

I'm reading a quote from a quote from another thread but so be it.  The pale swords are reminiscent of Dawn.  It is possible that those men were related to the Daynes.  Milkglass is how Dawn was described.  

We do have to ask a few questions.  The men are in their later years.  Their clothes have faded.  Are they trapped somewhere?  Imprisoned?  It is one of the more interesting visions in book 1.

Thanks. Apologies because we have gone to the side of the road and veered to the left of the topic.  But this is still about Dany so I feel it's fine to proceed.  So those old men with the swords of fire.  They were Azor Ahai and the vision doesn't paint a picture of men who were in their primes and the tattered clothes probably meant they had not changed for a long time.  What could make kings wear faded and worn clothing?  The more I think on this and the more I read people's comments the more I refine my original ideas.  The clothes are faded because they were living through the long night!  Lack of food, spare clothing, gaunt, pale.  All point to people who lost civilization.  And their bespoke tailors!  

So if Azor Ahai won, why did the long night last so long?  Answer: He didn't win.  History is often wrong so why not legends.  Those Azor Ahais could not turn back the darkness.  They had to wait it out until the long night passed.  This is consistent with Nan's story of a knight that lasted for a lifetime.  They also killed their wives. 

I don't have much to base this on except the post "Targaryen Madness Is An Exaggeration" and 'Will Jon Snow Go Mad?" posts.  I believe those kings went mad.  They were the ancestors of the Targaryens and they were all Azor Ahai.  They went mad.  Male Targaryens are susceptible to madness.  Think about this.  Madness can't be common among the 40 ruling families of old Valyria.  So just maybe it's not a Valyrian thing, it's a Targaryen family curse.  Call it genetics.  Whatever the case may be, many male Targaryens go mad.  

What is their interest in our young hero?  They were cheering Dany on like a squad of retired male cheerleaders.  Run, run away from the darkness.  Wake, wake the dragon.  They were encouraging Dany because she is the only hope to defeat the long night.  Why?  Because she's the first female Azor Ahai.  She's not susceptible to madness.   Azor Ahai is now female and she has three dragons.  She is the Prince Who Was Promised.  The prophecy used the word "prince" and it has been explained because dragons are gender neutral.  But we have to remember, the prophesied person comes before the dragons.  The word choice is not "prince' because dragons are gender neutral but because all the other Azor Ahais before were male.  But this time around is different and this is the game changer that everyone has been waiting for.  AA is born a female this time and instead of a magic sword she has three dragons!  English is not my strongest point so I am not getting my ideas across as well as I would like.  But I believe those old guys were AAs of ancient times, they lost the battle for the long night, they murdered their wives because they went insane, they only had swords to fight with, they have been waiting all this time for the Prince Who Was Promised, they needed a female AA to avoid the madness, they needed a female to hatch dragons, and that female Azor Ahai is Daenerys.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/145805-targaryen-madness-is-an-exaggeration/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 7:46 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I can write about this subject endlessly and never get tired.  Mine took place near the beginning of our story and got me hooked on Dany's story line.  Here it is for your enjoyment, the passage from Dany's wedding to Khal Drogo.

What a beautiful moment, beautifully and lovingly written by George R. R. Martin.  What a lovely character he created in Daenerys Targaryen.  I know it's not exactly a "power play" but Dany's confidence with her filly literally gave her wings and this is the start of her blossoming. 

She was a young filly, spirited and splendid.  Dany knew just enough about horses to know that this was no ordinary animal.  There was something about her that took the breath away.  She was grey as the winter sea, with a mane like silver smoke.

Hesitantly she reached out and stroked the horse's neck, ran her fingers through the silver of her mane.  Khal Drogo said something in Dothraki and Magister Illyrio translated.  "Silver for the silver of your hair, the khal says."

"She's beautiful," Dany murmured.

"She is the pride of the khalasar," Illyrio said.  "Custom decrees that the khaleesi must ride a mount worthy of her place by the side of the khal."

Drogo stepped forward and put his hands on her waist.  He lifted her up as easily as if she were a child and set her on the thin Dothraki saddle, so much smaller than the ones she was used to.  Dany sat there uncertain for a moment.  No one told her about this part.  "What should I do?" she asked Illyrio.

It was Ser Jorah Mormont who answered.  "Take the reins and ride.  You need not go far."

Nervously Dany gathered the reins in her hands and slid her feet into the short stirrups.  She was only a fair rider; she had spent far more time traveling by ship and wagon and palanquin than by horseback.  Praying she would not fall off and disgrace herself, she gave the filly the lightest and most timid touch with her knees.

And for the first time in hours, she forgot to be afraid.  Or perhaps it was for the first time ever.

The silver-grey filly moved with a smooth and silken gait, and the crowd parted for her, every eye upon them.  Dany found herself moving faster than she had intended, yet somehow it was exciting rather than terrifying.  The horse broke into a trot, and she smiled.  Dothraki scrambled to clear a path.  The slightest pressure with her legs, the lightest touch on the reins, and the filly responded.  She sent it into a gallop, and now the Dothraki were hooting and laughing and shouting at her as they jumped out of her way.  As she turned to ride back, a firepit loomed ahead, directly in her path.  They were hemmed in on either side, with no room to stop.  A daring she had never known filled Daenerys then, and she gave the filly her head.

The silver horse leapt the flames as if she had wings.

When she pulled up before Magister Illyrio, she said, "Tell Khal Drogo that he has given me the wind."  The fat Pentoshi stroked his yellow beard as he repeated her words in Dothraki, and Dany saw her new husband smile for the first time.

I'm with you.  Beautifully written by Mr. Martin.  

On February 23, 2018 at 4:44 PM, Quoth the raven, said:

Very good observation but I disagree on the severely flawed part.  She is the least-flawed out of all the young people in the story. 

Moving on to the lions and the Lannisters, yes, it may foreshadow Daenerys saving Tyrion from Cersei and Jaime.  It does not have to be literal though.  Tyrion is a broken man right now.  A man who murdered his father.  A cynic given to drinking too much.  Perhaps meeting Daenerys will give Tyrion someone to believe in and he can find redemption by dedicating himself to the service of someone, Dany, greater than himself. 

No. That distinction I feel goes to Pod. 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:48 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Thanks. Apologies because we have gone to the side of the road and veered to the left of the topic.  But this is still about Dany so I feel it's fine to proceed.  So those old men with the swords of fire.  They were Azor Ahai and the vision doesn't paint a picture of men who were in their primes and the tattered clothes probably meant they had not changed for a long time.  What could make kings wear faded and worn clothing?  The more I think on this and the more I read people's comments the more I refine my original ideas.  The clothes are faded because they were living through the long night!  Lack of food, spare clothing, gaunt, pale.  All point to people who lost civilization.  And their bespoke tailors!  

So if Azor Ahai won, why did the long night last so long?  Answer: He didn't win.  History is often wrong so why not legends.  Those Azor Ahais could not turn back the darkness.  They had to wait it out until the long night passed.  This is consistent with Nan's story of a knight that lasted for a lifetime.  They also killed their wives. 

I don't have much to base this on except the post "Targaryen Madness Is An Exaggeration" and 'Will Jon Snow Go Mad?" posts.  I believe those kings went mad.  They were the ancestors of the Targaryens and they were all Azor Ahai.  They went mad.  Male Targaryens are susceptible to madness.  Think about this.  Madness can't be common among the 40 ruling families of old Valyria.  So just maybe it's not a Valyrian thing, it's a Targaryen family curse.  Call it genetics.  Whatever the case may be, many male Targaryens go mad.  

What is their interest in our young hero?  They were cheering Dany on like a squad of retired male cheerleaders.  Run, run away from the darkness.  Wake, wake the dragon.  They were encouraging Dany because she is the only hope to defeat the long night.  Why?  Because she's the first female Azor Ahai.  She's not susceptible to madness.   Azor Ahai is now female and she has three dragons.  She is the Prince Who Was Promised.  The prophecy used the word "prince" and it has been explained because dragons are gender neutral.  But we have to remember, the prophesied person comes before the dragons.  The word choice is not "prince' because dragons are gender neutral but because all the other Azor Ahais before were male.  But this time around is different and this is the game changer that everyone has been waiting for.  AA is born a female this time and instead of a magic sword she has three dragons!  English is not my strongest point so I am not getting my ideas across as well as I would like.  But I believe those old guys were AAs of ancient times, they lost the battle for the long night, they murdered their wives because they went insane, they only had swords to fight with, they have been waiting all this time for the Prince Who Was Promised, they needed a female AA to avoid the madness, they needed a female to hatch dragons, and that female Azor Ahai is Daenerys.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/145805-targaryen-madness-is-an-exaggeration/

I feel your idea is better than mine but we all love to shamelessly promote our own hypothesis.  Here it comes.  Those ancient kings were the emperors of the Great Empire of the Dawn.  Maybe they're also Azor Ahai but it doesn't matter in my theory.  They want Dany to rebuild the old Empire.  It's like asking someone to rebuild Atlantis.  Dany is the only person capable of doing it and it is the hope for mankind.  The first empire lifted man out of a hunting and gathering existence.  The new empire should pick up the pieces after the long night ends. 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:32 PM, Peter Peckerton said:

I feel your idea is better than mine but we all love to shamelessly promote our own hypothesis.  Here it comes.  Those ancient kings were the emperors of the Great Empire of the Dawn.  Maybe they're also Azor Ahai but it doesn't matter in my theory.  They want Dany to rebuild the old Empire.  It's like asking someone to rebuild Atlantis.  Dany is the only person capable of doing it and it is the hope for mankind.  The first empire lifted man out of a hunting and gathering existence.  The new empire should pick up the pieces after the long night ends. 

Dany will unite the khalasars into one Dothraki nation.  She will need to add the Ghiscari and some other people to make an empire though.  Making Westeros a part of that empire can help that land recover from the ice age.  The east can feed the west until it can grow food again.

On 2/15/2018 at 0:19 AM, Jono of Oldtown said:

I always thought Danny 3 AGOT was her first victory, her first conquest if you will. Not as epic as Astapor or some of her others but this was the first step in going from a scared girl to a Player.

Summery of Chapter:

Daenerys learns to embrace her life in Drogo's khalasar, and stands up to Viserys for the first time. Afterward, when Drogo arrives to have sex with her, she rides him instead of being taken from behind and becomes pregnant

The Dothraki only respect the strong.  It didn't take Dany long to figure that out and start doing something about it.  Doreah was a great help.  What a pity the Lyseni didn't make it.  

On 2/2/2018 at 2:43 AM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Good points. I think her motivating other slaves to rise up could be a contributing factor on how she could liberate Volantis. It's said that there is five slaves for every freedman living in Volantis. If she could inspire on uprising there it would be another impressive move towards defeating her enemies and ending the slave trade.

Volantis is waiting for a leader.  Give the slaves a leader and they will take it from there.  This is where the red priests can be of service.  They can provide social stability during the upheaval.  You can't make a social change of this size without an equal amount of upheaval.  

On 2/1/2018 at 7:04 PM, Mon ami said:

I have been and always will be a Daenerys admirer.  So looking back at her character development from thirteen-year-old bride to Khal Drogo to Queen of Meereen, (and by rights the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men), Most Beautiful Woman in the World, and Mother of Dragons;  I cannot help but be awed by her many power plays.  I know the big moments are what most of her other fans think about but she made a few subtle but important plays early in her rise to power that are also almost as impressive.  Winning the love of Khal Drogo and establishing herself as the Khaleesi is very impressive concerning she was very young and forced to adapt to a hard, nomadic culture.  I want to know your favorite Daenerys power play.  Do you have any more examples of her subtle but effective power moves?

The night Dany rode Khal Drogo.

There is no privacy in the heart of the khalasar.  Dany felt the eyes on her as she undressed him, heard the soft voices as she did the things Doreah had told her to do.  It was nothing to her.  Was she not khaleesi?  His eyes were the only eyes that mattered, and when she mounted him she saw something there that she had never seen before.  She rode him as fiercely as ever she had ridden her silver, and when the moment of his pleasure came, Khal Drogo called out her name.

The Dragon mounted the Dothraki that night!  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 6:00 PM, Targaryen Restoration said:

The night Dany rode Khal Drogo.

There is no privacy in the heart of the khalasar.  Dany felt the eyes on her as she undressed him, heard the soft voices as she did the things Doreah had told her to do.  It was nothing to her.  Was she not khaleesi?  His eyes were the only eyes that mattered, and when she mounted him she saw something there that she had never seen before.  She rode him as fiercely as ever she had ridden her silver, and when the moment of his pleasure came, Khal Drogo called out her name.

The Dragon mounted the Dothraki that night!  

This is another awesome move by our brave and resourceful heroine.  This may foreshadow the future where Daenerys takes control of the Dothraki and unite them into one mighty khalasar.

Archived