Daenerys Targaryen's Power Plays

Mon ami

On 3/18/2018 at 11:04 PM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

The Dothraki only respect the strong.  It didn't take Dany long to figure that out and start doing something about it.  Doreah was a great help.  What a pity the Lyseni didn't make it.  

A pity indeed, because Doreah was helpful to our favorite girl.  She was the most useful of the hand maids.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:48 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:
  1. At the gates of Meereen.  Dany sent Belwas to answer the challenge from Oznak.  
  2. Aggo, Jhogo, and Rakharo kept her khalasar together and they were her best scouts.
  3. "If I ignore this longer, my own people will think me weak"
  4. Without Daario, she had no hold on the Storm crows.
  5. "They are pissing on slaves to show how little they fear of us"
  6. "Tell Strong Belwas I have need of him"
  7. "Strong Belwas was a slave here in the fighting pits.  If this highborn Oznak should fall to such, the Great Masters will be shamed.  If Oznak wins it is poor victory for one so noble."
  8. Belwas was the man she could most easily spare.  

I loved Dany's thought process here.  I would be scared to face her troops on the battlefields.  This is subtle but totally badass move.  I loved it.

That was awesome.  Dany made the decision to send Belwas and it was the smart thing to do.  Dany is the smartest of the young people in the story.  

On 2/2/2018 at 2:43 AM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Good points. I think her motivating other slaves to rise up could be a contributing factor on how she could liberate Volantis. It's said that there is five slaves for every freedman living in Volantis. If she could inspire on uprising there it would be another impressive move towards defeating her enemies and ending the slave trade.

Dany doesn't need to do anything except give the slaves of Volantis the signal of approval and they will take the city from their masters.  The lady of the waterfront, who comes across as one of the leaders of the oppressed, already support Dany.  Tell the mother we're waiting. 

On 2/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, Widowmaker 811 said:

Sticking to the same volume, my choice is taking her khalasar through the red waste and onto to VT to Qarth.  She knew she had to be strong for the sake of the khalasar and even for Ser Jorah.  That's admirable leadership.  I think she has natural leadership abilities.  Many females have this ability but unfortunately are taught to stand behind the men.  I would like to think there is a little bit of Daenerys in a lot of women just waiting for a chance to come out.

:agree:

On 2/2/2018 at 7:46 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I can write about this subject endlessly and never get tired.  Mine took place near the beginning of our story and got me hooked on Dany's story line.  Here it is for your enjoyment, the passage from Dany's wedding to Khal Drogo.

What a beautiful moment, beautifully and lovingly written by George R. R. Martin.  What a lovely character he created in Daenerys Targaryen.  I know it's not exactly a "power play" but Dany's confidence with her filly literally gave her wings and this is the start of her blossoming. 

That passage of the Daenerys-Drogo wedding was the first clue that this is one special girl.  That was a lovely moment when she rode her filly for the first time.  

3 hours ago, Mon ami said:

A pity indeed, because Doreah was helpful to our favorite girl.  She was the most useful of the hand maids.

The way of the seven sighs!!!!!!!  :rolleyes:

Though Xaro has a girl in his service who can give Doreah a run for her money.  

Dany finds a way to win, with or without dragons.  I love how she used what she had at her disposal to win over Drogo and the Dothraki.  

• 4 weeks later...

Dany is not leaving the bay of dragons until the slave masters are broken.  I look forward to that power move.  That could be the move that wins the Battle of Fire for the good guys.

On 5/3/2018 at 10:17 PM, Bullrout said:

Dany is not leaving the bay of dragons until the slave masters are broken.  I look forward to that power move.  That could be the move that wins the Battle of Fire for the good guys.

Winning the Battle of Fire is not the end to slavery.  It will break the masters' backs for sure but slavery will continue until the Dothraki can be convinced to buy into Daenerys Targaryen's issued Emancipation Proclamation for all slaves.  Slavery is supported by supply and demand.  The Dothraki khalasars harvest slaves from throughout Essos.  Stopping the supply of slaves will necessitate stopping it at the source.  But yeah, should this happen it will be her next great achievement.  The Emancipation will outlaw the owning of slaves and thus curb the demand.

There is no one else who can do this besides her.  If we look closely at her allies and servants (Jorah, Daario, Barristan, Tyrion), none of these men are too motivated to fight slavery except that they do it because she tells them to.  Only Greyworm but he doesn't have the skill set to bring on social change of this size.

On 4/8/2018 at 2:23 PM, Mon ami said:

Dany doesn't need to do anything except give the slaves of Volantis the signal of approval and they will take the city from their masters.  The lady of the waterfront, who comes across as one of the leaders of the oppressed, already support Dany.  Tell the mother we're waiting. 

Vogarro's Widow is the old woman's nickname.  The slaves outnumber their masters.  The leader of the church, Benerro, supports Dany.  Volantis is as good as Dany's.  

On 5/11/2018 at 2:45 AM, 867-5309 said:

Vogarro's Widow is the old woman's nickname.  The slaves outnumber their masters.  The leader of the church, Benerro, supports Dany.  Volantis is as good as Dany's.  

Volantis is as good as hers.  IF SHE WANTS IT.  Or not.  But she may decide to go there anyway and help the slaves because she is Mhysa.  I would also add Braavos to that friends list because many in that city oppose slavery.  

On 2/18/2018 at 10:47 PM, Sea Dragon said:

LOL! I love this scene. It always gives me the chills. I like how you gave some good ideas to what the different book lines mean. I agree. 

I loved that scene too.  What a way to end the first book.  

On 2/18/2018 at 5:54 AM, Bowen 747 said:

Rarely do you get a direct quote from George.  Still, Dany's instructions were very precise for it to be an accident.

Daenerys - "I thank you, Mirri Maz Duur, for the lessons you have taught me."  [that death pays for life, to be wary of trusting someone with a grudge, to be more careful in the future, etc.]

Mirri - "You will not hear me scream."  [the witch showing defiance and contempt]

Daenerys - "I will, but it's not your screams I want, only your life." 

Yes, I do believe Daenerys knew what she was doing.

Whoever betrays her in the future will get burned too.  Lighting a fire means burning a betrayer.  Equally interesting is who or what will come back to life from the future burnings.

I am thinking Dany doesn't get back to Meereen until after the battle of fire is over.  Victory in this battle only saves Meereen but it doesn't stop the trading of slaves.  She has to take control of the Dothraki khalasars to stop the slave trade.  She could even take a side trip to Volantis before getting back to Meereen.  

On 5/17/2018 at 5:40 PM, Gabbie Roxas said:

Volantis is as good as hers.  IF SHE WANTS IT.  Or not.  But she may decide to go there anyway and help the slaves because she is Mhysa.  I would also add Braavos to that friends list because many in that city oppose slavery.  

I would put Volantis and Braavos on her Friends List. I do wonder about places like Mantarys.  Doubtful there is enough pages left in the two last books to include every city.  There will be freedom for Volantis, the former Slaver's Bay, and many others.  Stopping the trade in human flesh and the enslavement of the weak is far more important than saving Westeros.  At least it is to me because I don't care too much for the story lines at the wall, King's Landing, and the north.  

Archived