Tyrion and Penny in the pit (SPOILERS)

justanotheruser

Why would the those in charge over the pit fightings send lions on Tyrion and Penny who happens to be Yezzan's property? I don't think he would approve in which case it would be a huge offense against him. I just don't see the point of it or felt convinced. It would be entertaining (from their perspective) but it would also be an assault on Yezzan unless he permitted it which I don't find likely.

• 2 weeks later...

He might have. He would realize too that their show will grow stale pretty quickly, so when Yunzak convinced him (probably with a hefty payment) that it would help the peace deal to give them up, he may have gone along with it. And as the overseer says:

"Though the noble Yezzan is loath to lose his little treasures..." which seems to indicate that the overseer knows they are not coming back, which means that Yezzan probably does too.

Good point and hard to say.  Now, was the Master not very ill at that point or did that happen later?  In any event, various possibilities are plausible:

- Yezzan knew but Tyrion and Penny were a new addition and not awfully exotic, just dwarfs.  He had other more exotic "treasures" that look further away from a normal human form than them, so mayhaps they were expendable.

- Yezzan didn't know and Nurse brokered a deal with the pits for his own profit - if ever questioned by Yezzan, they fell prey to someone else...

- Yezzan was too sick to care or know

I could go all conspiracy theory and wagger on someone identifying Tyrion and making a great financial deal with his slavers but I personally think this was a plot device for George to show Tyrion (well the readers...) that he had to get the fuck out of there sooner rather than later and also to put him in a dilemma as to break Penny's naivety with the whole truth or not...

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I think Yezzan must have known because he was the slave-owner.  The part that fascinated me most of all is that Danaerys has never properly met Tyrion and still she was the one who called off the lions and saved him.  I think that already leaves an impression of the possibility of a good alliance between the two of them.  It’s evident that even Tyrion doesn’t mind if a Targaryen enters Westeros and claims back the family right to the throne.  Although he’s a Lannister, he would gladly hand it over to Aegon or Danaerys.

I’m doubt Cersei would react as hospitably to the news of a Targaryen reclaiming that throne.  She goes to such great, brutal lengths to defend it.  We’ll have to wait for Winds of Winter to find out.

However, having read the books, something a different story seems to be happening on the TV show.  I think Ser Barristan Selmy has died on the TV series.  I wonder if this same fate awaits him in Winds of Winter.

However, Tyrion is a great man - and you can see this from the way he would blend in with the rest of society and conceal his true identity.  He’s one of the people.  But I wouldn’t say the same of Cersei.. 

Archived