Part 5. Varys.

AlaskanSandman

Part 5.

Aegon-F/aegon, Varys and Illyrio.

part-1-the-blacks

part-2-dragons-and-starks

part-3-rhaegar

part-4-mirror-mirror-stark-stark-stark

2. Is Varys truly a eunuch, or is it just another of his many disguises?

Guess we won't know till someone takes a peek inside his breeches.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1202/

A Game of Thrones - Eddard XV

From outside his cell came the rattle of iron chains. As the door creaked open, Ned put a hand to the damp wall and pushed himself toward the light. The glare of a torch made him squint. "Food," he croaked.

"Wine," a voice answered. It was not the rat-faced man; this gaoler was stouter, shorter, though he wore the same leather half cape and spiked steel cap. "Drink, Lord Eddard." He thrust a wineskin into Ned's hands.

The voice was strangely familiar, yet it took Ned Stark a moment to place it. "Varys?" he said groggily when it came. He touched the man's face. "I'm not … not dreaming this. You're here." The eunuch's plump cheeks were covered with a dark stubble of beard. Ned felt the coarse hair with his fingers. Varys had transformed himself into a grizzled turnkey, reeking of sweat and sour wine. "How did you … what sort of magician are you?"

A Dance with Dragons - Epilogue

He wanted guards, Ser Kevan thought. I should have sent him guards. Could Cersei have been right all along? Was this his nephew's work? "Tyrion?" he called. "Where …?"

"Far away," a half-familiar voice replied.

He stood in a pool of shadow by a bookcase, plump, pale-faced, round-shouldered, clutching a crossbow in soft powdered hands. Silk slippers swaddled his feet.

A Dance with Dragons - Epilogue

"Aegon?" For a moment he did not understand. Then he remembered. A babe swaddled in a crimson cloak, the cloth stained with his blood and brains. "Dead. He's dead."

"No." The eunuch's voice seemed deeper. "He is here. 

A Clash of Kings - Tyrion X

. "My lord, you once asked me how it was that I was cut."

"I recall," said Tyrion. "You did not want to talk of it."

"Nor do I, but . . ." This pause was longer than the one before, and when Varys spoke again his voice was different somehow.

2. Is Varys truly a eunuch, or is it just another of his many disguises?

Guess we won't know till someone takes a peek inside his breeches.

And Daenerys is a Stark on both sides through Mance and Lyanna. So, why would Varys and Illyrio be helping Aegon, son of Elia Martell and Rhaegar Targaryen?

A Game of Thrones - Eddard XV

"Surely you did not think I'd forgotten about your sweet innocent, my lord? The queen most certainly has not."

"No," Ned pleaded, his voice cracking. "Varys, gods have mercy, do as you like with me, but leave my daughter out of your schemes. Sansa's no more than a child."

"Rhaenys was a child too. Prince Rhaegar's daughter. A precious little thing, younger than your girls. She had a small black kitten she called Balerion, did you know? I always wondered what happened to him. Rhaenys liked to pretend he was the true Balerion, the Black Dread of old, but I imagine the Lannisters taught her the difference between a kitten and a dragon quick enough, the day they broke down her door." Varys gave a long weary sigh, the sigh of a man who carried all the sadness of the world in a sack upon his shoulders. "The High Septon once told me that as we sin, so do we suffer. If that's true, Lord Eddard, tell me … why is it always the innocents who suffer most, when you high lords play your game of thrones? Ponder it, if you would, while you wait upon the queen. And spare a thought for this as well: The next visitor who calls on you could bring you bread and cheese and the milk of the poppy for your pain … or he could bring you Sansa's head.

Aegon is real. Varys when talking to Eddard seems genuinely sad and upset about the death of Rhaenys and doesn’t mention Aegon dying at all. To which he later tells a dying Kevin Lannister that he saved Aegon and swapped him for another baby. This is twice, that Varys seems to be telling the same thing in one way or another to a dying man.

While on the other hand, many have speculated that Aegon is somehow descended from the Blackfyres on his mother’s side. With Varys possibly being a brother to this mother. This would be Serra the wife of Illyrio and explain some of their closeness.

Though it must be said, that Varys came to Westeros to serve under Aerys II Targaryen before Aegon was born to Rhaegar and Elia. So if Varys’ plan is simply installing a swap for babies that havnt even been born yet, it’s weird. Or to come out to protect the future Aegon. How could Varys and Illyrio have been responsible for Rhaegar choosing to marry Elia Martell of Dorne? Something we know is questionable to begin with as it angered Rhaegar’s father.

Though Varys warns Aerys of Rhaegar trying to usurp him at Harrenhal, so it’s hard to say unless he’s just pitting them against each other to destabilize them. Perhaps Faegon is a year or two older than the real Aegon? Kind of a stretch but who knows.

A Clash of Kings - Tyrion X

"Nor do I, but . . ." This pause was longer than the one before, and when Varys spoke again his voice was different somehow. "I was an orphan boy apprenticed to a traveling folly. Our master owned a fat little cog and we sailed up and down the narrow sea performing in all the Free Cities and from time to time in Oldtown and King's Landing.

"One day at Myr, a certain man came to our folly. After the performance, he made an offer for me that my master found too tempting to refuse. I was in terror. I feared the man meant to use me as I had heard men used small boys, but in truth the only part of me he had need of was my manhood. He gave me a potion that made me powerless to move or speak, yet did nothing to dull my senses. With a long hooked blade, he sliced me root and stem, chanting all the while. I watched him burn my manly parts on a brazier. The flames turned blue, and I heard a voice answer his call, though I did not understand the words they spoke.

"The mummers had sailed by the time he was done with me. Once I had served his purpose, the man had no further interest in me, so he put me out. When I asked him what I should do now, he answered that he supposed I should die. To spite him, I resolved to live. I begged, I stole, and I sold what parts of my body still remained to me. Soon I was as good a thief as any in Myr, and when I was older I learned that often the contents of a man's letters are more valuable than the contents of his purse.

"Yet I still dream of that night, my lord. Not of the sorcerer, nor his blade, nor even the way my manhood shriveled as it burned. I dream of the voice. The voice from the flames. Was it a god, a demon, some conjurer's trick? I could not tell you, and I know all the tricks. All I can say for a certainty is that he called it, and it answered, and since that day I have hated magic and all those who practice it. If Lord Stannis is one such, I mean to see him dead."

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion II

"How is it that the Spider became so dear to you?"

"We were young together, two green boys in Pentos."

"Varys came from Myr."

"So he did. I met him not long after he arrived, one step ahead of the slavers. By day he slept in the sewers, by night he prowled the rooftops like a cat. I was near as poor, a bravo in soiled silks, living by my blade. Perhaps you chanced to glimpse the statue by my pool? Pytho Malanon carved that when I was six-and-ten. A lovely thing, though now I weep to see it."

"Age makes ruins of us all. I am still in mourning for my nose. But Varys …"

"In Myr he was a prince of thieves, until a rival thief informed on him. In Pentos his accent marked him, and once he was known for a eunuch he was despised and beaten. Why he chose me to protect him I may never know, but we came to an arrangement. Varys spied on lesser thieves and took their takings. I offered my help to their victims, promising to recover their valuables for a fee. Soon every man who had suffered a loss knew to come to me, whilst city's footpads and cutpurses sought out Varys … half to slit his throat, the other half to sell him what they'd stolen. We both grew rich, and richer still when Varys trained his mice."

"In King's Landing he kept little birds."

"Mice, we called them then. The older thieves were fools who thought no further than turning a night's plunder into wine. Varys preferred orphan boys and young girls. He chose the smallest, the ones who were quick and quiet, and taught them to climb walls and slip down chimneys. He taught them to read as well. We left the gold and gems for common thieves. Instead our mice stole letters, ledgers, charts … later, they would read them and leave them where they lay. Secrets are worth more than silver or sapphires, Varys claimed. Just so. I grew so respectable that a cousin of the Prince of Pentos let me wed his maiden daughter, whilst whispers of a certain eunuch's talents crossed the narrow sea and reached the ears of a certain king. A very anxious king, who did not wholly trust his son, nor his wife, nor his Hand, a friend of his youth who had grown arrogant and overproud. I do believe that you know the rest of this tale, is that not so?"

"Much of it," Tyrion admitted. "I see that you are somewhat more than a cheesemonger after all."

So Aerys didn’t trust Rhaegar, Tywin, and Rhaella. Why Rhaella?? Rhaella may have had an affair with Ser Bonifer Hasty, and Rhaegar may be the child of Ser Bonifer. Which may be why Aerys doesn’t trust Rhaella or Rhaegar. That or there is something else that we don’t know.

Also it is interesting that Varys picked out Illyrio, and not the other way around. Illyrio may just be another piece in Varys’ plan. Whatever that plan is.

What we are told though is that he was an orphan and that he shaves his head. So he is either a Blackfyre or a Targaryen. All the Blackfyre males supposedly died, so it may be that he is a secret Targaryen. Yet idk who he could be. I would have to do some looking around to try to find any missing children from im assuming the reign of Aegon V. As Jaehaerys didn’t rule for very long before Aerys took the throne. Though it’s hard to say how old Varys is. Is he of an age with Rhaegar, or Aerys? If Aerys, it could stretch back to the reign of Aegon V. So maybe Varys is the secret child of Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar? Or quite possibly someone else. I will try to look into this more.

Further, Varys says the man who bought him as a mummer owned a cog that would sail up and down the narrow sea when he was a child. So maybe there is mention of a Cog during the reign of Aegon V or Jaehaerys II?

Yet, Tryion says Varys was born in Myr to which Illyrio goes with. Yet

A Game of Thrones - Eddard V

"I have heard it said that poison is a woman's weapon."

Pycelle stroked his beard thoughtfully. "It is said. Women, cravens … and eunuchs." He cleared his throat and spat a thick glob of phlegm onto the rushes. Above them, a raven cawed loudly in the rookery. "The Lord Varys was born a slave in Lys, did you know?  Put not your trust in spiders, my lord."

Pycell seems to think he is from Lys. While Varys never actually told Tryion Myr, just that Myr is where they stopped at when the sorcerer bought him.

Varys was brought to Aerys's court at some point after the death of Lord Steffon Baratheon in 278 AC.[20] 

Yet Aegon wasn’t born until 281Ac or 282ac.

After this in early 279 AC, Rhaegar was formally betrothed to the Dornish princess, Elia Martell, the younger sister of Doran MartellPrince of Dorne. They married the following year in 280 AC, a lavish ceremony was held at the Great Sept of Baelor. His father did not attend the wedding as he was paranoid about an assassination attempt and nor did he permit the young Prince Viserys to attend. Rhaegar and his father's relationship was straining at this point, and he and his new bride took up residence on Dragonstone instead of King's Landing. Rhaegar and Elia had their first child, a girl named Rhaenys,[8] in 280 AC.

So Steffon goes to Essos seeking a bride for Rhaegar, then Varys gets word of Aerys and comes to Westeros and Steffon never returns alive. So right after Varys comes to Westeros, Rhaegar is betrothed to Elia Martell of Dorne. Of whom Varys claims to have protected the child to Kevan Lannister, and left out Aegon dying when talking to Eddard, only mentioning Rhaenys having died.

So it may be that Varys’ whole plan has to do with Aegon being real. Is Aegon who Varys believes is the Prince that was Promised?

So let’s back up here a moment and try and figure out who Varys could come from as an Orphan sold young to a mummer’s guild.

Well how old could Varys be? Well he came out to Westeros in 278 and id imagine he was at least 13 when he came out so perhaps he was born 265 or earlier. This would make Varys 34 in 299Ac. Though this seems a little young for him but perhaps not, it is just hard to imagine Aerys putting a 13 year old as master of whispers.

Yet in 259 there was the Tragedy of Summerhall. Now if Varys was born at least back in 259 then he would be 40 by 299ac and 19 when he came to court, which is a little more believe able no?

So who? Who could be his parents? Well, we have absolutely no good possibly candidate in the Blackfyre branch. Daemon had two daughters but we don’t know who they wed if at all or if they even had kids. Last we here of is Maelys who didn’t leave any children that we are told of. So let’s look to House Targaryen. Well there are a couple missing people who may have had kids.

Maegor, son of Aerion Brightflame.

Vaella the Simple, daughter of Daeron the Drunken.

Both existed in the right time frame and are the only unaccounted people.

Other than one other possibility.

Prince Duncan and Jenny of Old Stones. Who fall in love in 239ac and die at Summerhall together in 259Ac. This means that they were together for 20 years and very likely had children.

Varys was sold into slavery young as an Orphan and we don’t know how he became an orphan. Only that he shaves his head like Egg and chose a protector in Illyrio like Duncan the Tall.

We know that Varys came to Westeros the same year Steffon went to Essos seeking a bride for Rhaegar, possibly tipping Varys off through word of his Mice.

Upon coming to Westeros, the next year Rhaegar is betrothed to Elia Martell and wed the next year having Rhaenys. Then having Aegon in 281 or 282ac depending on how you see the events.

When talking to a condemned Eddard, Varys mentions Rhaenys’ death while seeming actually mournful, while not mentioning Aegon having had died.

Then Varys later tells a dying Kevin Lannister that Aegon is actually alive and that he rescued Aegon in time and raised him in Essos.

We know that Varys and Illyrio know of Daenerys and Viserys and leave them to wander for years. While taking them in finally for half a year to sell Daenerys to her likely death, and seemingly goating Viserys into his own death.

Then upon hearing of her survival and hatching dragons, finally include her in their plans to marry Aegon.

Could Varys actually be protecting Aegon’s true son and trying to prevent Eddard’s kid with Ashara Dayne from taking the throne from Aegon? Could Varys know the truth of who Daenerys is and what happened at the Tower of Joy? Could Varys and Illyrio been the ones who killed Darry and drove Dany into exile from the House with the Red Door and Lemon Tree. The House like her aunt Allyria’s in Dorne.

Varys is a mystery. Let me know your thoughts and hope your enjoyed this long out of the box analysis of some of the books :)

3 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

It's interesting but I think you could have taken this farther and done another 3 or 4 parts after this 5th one.

You seem to only be throwing out these same type of comments any more and im just kind of weeding out people who aren't constructive. Just saying

34 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

And Daenerys is a Stark on both sides through Mance and Lyanna. So, why would Varys and Illyrio be helping Aegon, son of Elia Martell and Rhaegar Targaryen?

Sorry, I must have missed something. Care to elaborate on this a bit? 

Ok, well i unblocked you to see what you had to say. No offense but you've been pretty rude lately and im kind of tired of all the rude people. Disagreeing doesn't have to be rude, just sayin :) 

As to that, this is part 5 after all, may want to start with part 1. The question you ask is answered there. Starting with where Rhaenyra comes from and leading into Rhaenys, Laena, Laenor, Lucerys, Jaecaerys, Joffery, and Daemon. Most of the people who make up the Black faction of the Dance of Dragons have blood ties to House Stark possibly. 

18 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Sorry, I must have missed something. Care to elaborate on this a bit? 

So if im right in part 1. If even Rhaenyra alone is part Stark and that's why her son is the Dragon's Bane. Then Daenerys is a Stark on either side. 

Mean while, Rhaegar may not be. As Rhaella had a relation with Ser Bonifer Hasty that ended when she wed Aerys. Rhaegar born close enough to that time to be Bonifers. Further Aerys and Rhaella's next kid was 5 years later. Then every year after that. And it's said that Aerys didn't trust his wife. 

So Rhaegar may have old Valyrian blood back in him through Bonifer Hasty some how. Who then wed Elia Martell possibly due to Vary's meddling, who then had Aegon, whom Varys is protecting. While trying to stall or kill Daenerys. To which im implying is because Varys knows the truth and that Daenerys isn't a Targaryen. Mean while Varys is a secret Targ disguised like Aegon V was, bald. Having chose Illyrio to protect him as Aegon had Dunk. I may be wrong about some of this, but some of it is definitely intriguing i think. Like weather Duncan and Jenny in their 20  years together ever had any children.

7 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Ok, well i unblocked you to see what you had to say. No offense but you've been pretty rude lately and im kind of tired of all the rude people. Disagreeing doesn't have to be rude, just sayin :) 

As to that, this is part 5 after all, may want to start with part 1. The question you ask is answered there. Starting with where Rhaenyra comes from and leading into Rhaenys, Laena, Laenor, Lucerys, Jaecaerys, Joffery, and Daemon. Most of the people who make up the Black faction of the Dance of Dragons have blood ties to House Stark possibly. 

No, I haven't been rude. I understand you didn't like a comment I made on an assumption you made about Rhaegar being gay and mentioning his harp playing, but maybe you should have phrased it differently. Because the way you did phrase it made it seem like that was the connection: harp playing = gay, and I could not possibly disagree more w/ that. Again, I understand that's not what you were going for, but as I said you should have phrased it differently. 

As to Dany being a Stark through Mance and Lyanna, I am still reading part 1, so maybe I'll find the explanation I'm looking for in there. 

And a quick heads up: don't tell people you have/had them on ignore as this may be taken as unnecessarily snarky, and posters here have earned warning points for doing it. :)

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

As to Dany being a Stark through Mance and Lyanna, I am still reading part 1, so maybe I'll find the explanation I'm looking for in there. 

Fer sure. And Daenerys is a Stark not just because of Mance or Lyanna. She's a Stark even if she's the child of Aerys. The Targaryen's after Aegon III are Stark by blood.

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Good luck with that… I still have to understand how Rhaenyra could be seen as Stark when at best her grand mother was a Stark (in this theory).

13 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

There are five parts to this theory of yours and you apparently want to make it required reading for people to read the earlier threads before commenting on the later ones so please help everyone out and put links to all five parts in the opening posts of all five parts.  It will make navigation easier for your readers. 

1 minute ago, White Ravens said:

There are five parts to this theory of yours and you apparently want to make it required reading for people to read the earlier threads before commenting on the later ones so please help everyone out and put links to all five parts in the opening posts of all five parts.  It will make navigation easier for your readers. 

Its at the top boss. In each thread.

3 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

Thanks champ.

Trying my best haha This last part is a look at the Blackfyres possibly not being a factor. That Varys who came right before Rhaegar's marriage, who is supposedly protecting Rhaegar's son, may have planned it all. Being the lost child possibly of Prince Duncan and Jenny of Old Stone. Varys knowing that Daenerys isn't actually a Targaryen, Through parts 1 and 2 and what he is actually doing in accordance to this information changing the picture. 

Archived