Winter Olympics, where small countries can win big!

BigFatCoward

I don't understand the tiebreaker system in mixed doubles curling.  After the round robin stage, 3 teams are tied for 3rd place having a 4-3 record -- Russia, Norway, and China.  Yet, Russia was ranked 3rd in the knockout stage, and Norway and China must have a playoff to determine who receives the 4th and final spot in the knockout stage.  What stat was used to determine that?

Jace doesn't watch much Puckball, but I can't remember seeing players flick the puck at each other so casually before.

Bitches be just leaving the puck and skating away for someone else to get it.

I dig it! It's like watching the Patriots play the Colts. Tommy B just dropping change like he doesn't need it.

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

So we had a rather disappointing first day of these games, with only three silver and a bronze. Bummer. 

Luckily, today normal service is resumed. Gold, silver and bronze on the 30k skiathlon for men. All is well.

And that was without Klaebo performing. I think you can bank the men's XC relay now. Boe v Fourcade will hopefully be immense for the whole biathlon programme, in the sprint you have to make Boe favourite though. 

My Norwegian family allows me to live vicariously through them every winter Olympics, worried about the women's XC team, normally expect at least 4 or 5 golds there, they may have to settle for 2 or 3 this time round. 

19 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

And that was without Klaebo performing. I think you can bank the men's XC relay now. Boe v Fourcade will hopefully be immense for the whole biathlon programme, in the sprint you have to make Boe favourite though. 

My Norwegian family allows me to live vicariously through them every winter Olympics, worried about the women's XC team, normally expect at least 4 or 5 golds there, they may have to settle for 2 or 3 this time round. 

Relay should be okay. Klæbo finishing, and a terribly strong team backing him on the first legs. Would really back us to get several gold in the men’s end. The women are more unreliable this time around, but hey - we’re coming from the absolute peak, so the sport is probably best served by us not winning (though I do enjoy us winning!).

Biathlon could be fun. I think it helps - sort of - that Marthe Olsbu won silver yesterday. Gets the team a good start, when an outsider suddenly performs, and wins a medal. Then again, Fourcade does know how to win... I’m really excited!

Oh, and worth mentioning: Sverre Lunde Pedersen lost the silver medal in the men’s 5000 m speed skating by 2/1000 of a second. Brutal.

29 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Biathlon could be fun. I think it helps - sort of - that Marthe Olsbu won silver yesterday. Gets the team a good start, when an outsider suddenly performs, and wins a medal. Then again, Fourcade does know how to win... I’m really excited!

Olsbu performing well also bodes well for the mixed relay. 

This season Fourcade has been very consistent, but races he won have often been about JTB losing as well. His ski speed is far better than Fourcade, though Fourcade may have been specifically peaking for this. We will have to wait and see.  

55 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Oh, and worth mentioning: Sverre Lunde Pedersen lost the silver medal in the men’s 5000 m speed skating by 2/1000 of a second. Brutal.

On the one hand brutal, on the other the first Norwegian skating medal for men in ages. So well done for him regardless.

edit: not quite as long ago as I thought, I missed one.

10 minutes ago, Seli said:

On the one hand brutal, on the other the first Norwegian skating medal for men in ages. So well done for him regardless.

edit: not quite as long ago as I thought, I missed one.

Certainly well done, and he was happy with a medal, so I can’t complain much :)

Big ups to the kid, Red Gerard, siccc run(slopestyle), especially going from last to first on his last run..........it's sad snowboarding still gets shafted by the IOC(or whoever determines if weather conditions are to bad), the women should not have had their finals yesterday, the wind was nuts, 41 of 50 women rekt in their runs. Still, big ups to Jamie Anderson defending her 2014 gold and repeating. Halfpipe up next

11 hours ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

it's sad snowboarding still gets shafted by the IOC(or whoever determines if weather conditions are to bad), the women should not have had their finals yesterday, the wind was nuts, 41 of 50 women rekt in their runs. Still, big ups to Jamie Anderson defending her 2014 gold and repeating.

I'm not going to claim to have any understanding of the sport, but the wind did seem to make it a complete lottery. The BBC commentators were getting increasingly irate at it, one of them complained that he was basically commentating on the timing wind gusts rather than the competitors.

21 hours ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Big ups to the kid, Red Gerard, siccc run(slopestyle), especially going from last to first on his last run..........it's sad snowboarding still gets shafted by the IOC(or whoever determines if weather conditions are to bad), the women should not have had their finals yesterday, the wind was nuts, 41 of 50 women rekt in their runs. Still, big ups to Jamie Anderson defending her 2014 gold and repeating. Halfpipe up next

I don't watch much snowboarding but the men's slopestyle is the best event I've seen so far and that kid Gerard was a lot of fun. I particularly loved that the last thing he did before he dropped into the course for his final run was to yell good luck over his shoulder to one of his fellow competitors who was also a buddy of his.

Like, "Well, I'm down in 12th place and about to do my last run of the final in a sport where you can break your neck if you mess it up so I better switch on and focus hard because here I go in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 oh look, there's my buddy Carlos who's going after me, 'Hey Carlos, good luck brother!' ... and I'm off!"

Then after messing up all day this one is the near-perfect run and he wins gold.

After all the big BBC build up Elise Christie crashes out again in the short track racing. In fairness she never really looked in contention.

The South Korean’s been disqualified too which won’t go down well. It’s hard to see what she did there.

3 hours ago, Davrum said:

I don't watch much snowboarding but the men's slopestyle is the best event I've seen so far and that kid Gerard was a lot of fun. I particularly loved that the last thing he did before he dropped into the course for his final run was to yell good luck over his shoulder to one of his fellow competitors who was also a buddy of his.

Like, "Well, I'm down in 12th place and about to do my last run of the final in a sport where you can break your neck if you mess it up so I better switch on and focus hard because here I go in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 oh look, there's my buddy Carlos who's going after me, 'Hey Carlos, good luck brother!' ... and I'm off!"

Then after messing up all day this one is the near-perfect run and he wins gold.

Yea that's what the sport is, FRIENDS trying to one up each other and having fun doing it.......the way he won it was just epic, falls during first two runs and only has one shot to nail it for any medal and winds up taking the gold, just epic........then Chloe Kim absolutely murders the halfpipe last night, this girl is lightyears ahead of anyone else and she's only 17 like Red, she's the next Shawn White, she won gold on her first run, then throws down a 98.25 just for fun, she's siccc, big ups to Chloe Kim......next up, mens halfpipe tonight, Shawn White killing it in qualifiers 

Archived