Winter Olympics, where small countries can win big!

BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Cross country sprints went to script. Klaebo has the potential to smash every record in not only XC but winter Olympics. 

He was simply different class. 

Our national broadcaster (who does not have the TV rights this time) tried to build some sceptisism after the qualification round. Well, that’s their prerogative..

28 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

He was simply different class. 

Our national broadcaster (who does not have the TV rights this time) tried to build some sceptisism after the qualification round. Well, that’s their prerogative..

For the first time in years at a major championships the Men look like they will out perform the Women, obviously having Johaug missing has an impact on this as she would have been favourite for the skiathlon, 30k and the 10k. Other than the relay i don't see any obvious Golds. 

Klaebo is like Northug at his best, without being such a dick, though he has never won a 50k, but being so young he still has time to develop this as well. 

11 hours ago, ljkeane said:

After all the big BBC build up Elise Christie crashes out again in the short track racing. In fairness she never really looked in contention.

The South Korean’s been disqualified too which won’t go down well. It’s hard to see what she did there.

I agree Christie didn't look like challenging for gold, although if she hadn't crashed she might have got the bronze. I agree I don't understand why the South Korean was disqualified, it looked more like the other skater who was at fault.

18 hours ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Yea that's what the sport is, FRIENDS trying to one up each other and having fun doing it.......the way he won it was just epic, falls during first two runs and only has one shot to nail it for any medal and winds up taking the gold, just epic........then Chloe Kim absolutely murders the halfpipe last night, this girl is lightyears ahead of anyone else and she's only 17 like Red, she's the next Shawn White, she won gold on her first run, then throws down a 98.25 just for fun, she's siccc, big ups to Chloe Kim......next up, mens halfpipe tonight, Shawn White killing it in qualifiers 

I love, love, love the half pipe so much. So much technique, so much showing off, so much peril. And I was so gutted that the men's final was on at 1.30am and I am too old to sit up to watch it and then be up for work before 6am. Gah. It is pretty frightening how good Chloe Kim is when she is just a baby. Although they do talk about 34 year old snowboarders as being LIKE SO OLD! Also, that Aussie dude, like, how is this his third olympics at 23 years old? This is nuts!

Chloe Kim and Shaun White, what can you say other than Rock Star performances.

Enjoyed some Netherland dominated Speed Skating earlier. I'm watching Mens Nordic Combined with both Jumping and XC (15K) racing events (combined).

Due to the Womans Alpine getting postponed, NBC was saying we will have like 10 or 11 Skiing events over the next 10-11 days. Lot of Skiing coming up, im psyched for those events.

12 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Chloe Kim and Shaun White, what can you say other than Rock Star performances.

Pretty good! I watched the men's halfpipe as Scotty James was a good chance for a medal. One of my friends used to be his teacher, how crazy is that? :o

The scoring system in snowboarding is interesting. Did you know that it's only possible for the last competitor to get a 100? There's no standardised scoring; a 80 in one event for a run can score 95 in another.

Shiffrin and Svindal win the 2 alpine events, no surprises at all. She in particular is an absolute monster. Any records Vonn retires with will be obliterated within a few years.

A very unexpected gold for Norway in the womens XC, good day so far, hopefully the biathletes can up their game as they have been dogshit so far. 

And just noticed the Korean skeleton rider has an iron man helmet. 

Even the greatest can still have off days. Martin Fourcade hit 18 out of first 20 shots in biathlon. Even if he hit one of the last 2 he still wins, but he choked big time. The sort of thing some lesser people may not ever recover from. 

Big day for Norway. Gold and silver in downhill (first Olympic gold for Norway in downhill ever, I think), Gold to JTB in the 20 km biathlon, Gold  and silver for two Ragnhilds in XC and biathlon respectively, and a bronze for Bjørgen in the XC. 

Was surprised to see Sven Kramer completely bottle it on the 10 000. I don't follow the sport as closely as I used to, but I remember him being untouchable. Has there been a big change?

8 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Big day for Norway. Gold and silver in downhill (first Olympic gold for Norway in downhill ever, I think), Gold to JTB in the 20 km biathlon, Gold  and silver for two Ragnhilds in XC and biathlon respectively, and a bronze for Bjørgen in the XC. 

Was surprised to see Sven Kramer completely bottle it on the 10 000. I don't follow the sport as closely as I used to, but I remember him being untouchable. Has there been a big change?

Quick correction first: second Ragnhild is an alpine skier - Giant slalom being the silver.

Today, another bronze (Jansrud) and silver (Hegstad Krüger again), so this looks okay in total. Medals in just about every event we are competitive in.

Did anyone watch the women's super-G? To the best of my knowledge, it's unheard of for somebody from beyond the first 25 to win -- after the 20th skier or so, American TV declared Veith the winner and cut to figure skating. Ledecká wasn't even there primarily for the skiing; she's much more of a snowboarder.

2 hours ago, Altherion said:

Did anyone watch the women's super-G? To the best of my knowledge, it's unheard of for somebody from beyond the first 25 to win -- after the 20th skier or so, American TV declared Veith the winner and cut to figure skating. Ledecká wasn't even there primarily for the skiing; she's much more of a snowboarder.

Apparently she also had to borrow some skis from Shiffrin. 

XC relay should be an absolute banker for Norway, however Sweden have a chance with Kalla and Nilsson being in top form. 

Womens biathlon mass start could be amazing, but Dahlmeier really does peak well for major champs and could walk away with it.  

if Elise Christie crashes out or is disqualified today she should just call it a day. 

Archived