What Westerosi Standard Would You Fight Behind?

Pride of Driftmark

A hybrid; just a bit like Harry the Heir does for his own purposes (i.e. to make himself acceptable for being Lord Arryn) but not for the same reasons.  There is too much disunity in Westeros and I think the end of the series will see a healing process involving alliances and marriages amongst former enemies.  I am not against other possibilities but I will say, definitely a double banner (like Joffrey or Tommen took) but for a more pacifying and restoring the peace motivation.  I would go for Stark and Lannister (honour and cleverness).   Both houses have their issues but this seems like a fair combination to me.  Failing that, Stark/Targaryen (fire and ice).  Okay basing the latter on the fact that I think a lot of the final conflict resembles the Seelie and Unseelie Courts of the fairies in Celtic mythology, where there need to be a balance between summer and winter.  If I were on the throne, or what is left of it lol by the end Stark/Targ; as a Lord or Lady trying to heal the realm after the event... Lan/Stark...  Just my two cents.  Also, if you were asking purely from an aesthetic perspective, love the lion sigil, the direwoolf hell yes and the 3 headed dragon. ;)

I’d be a sellsword but wouldn’t work for certain types unless I had no other choice. No way would I swear to anyone. You find a good lord that you could be loyal to then he up and dies and the next one is cruel or a doofus and then you’re stuck.

1 hour ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Okay basing the latter on the fact that I think a lot of the final conflict resembles the Seelie and Unseelie Courts of the fairies in Celtic mythology, where there need to be a balance between summer and winter.

I never put this together before! This seems to be a big part of Karen Marie Moning's Fever Series which creates her own version of the Seelie and Unseelie courts. It does a good job of showing that the extremes in themselves are bad including the beautiful and summery Seelie which is something which hasn't really come across well to ASOIAF's fandom either by design or accident. I believe GRRM compared the Others to Ice Fae.

49 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I’d be a sellsword but wouldn’t work for certain types unless I had no other choice. No way would I swear to anyone. You find a good lord that you could be loyal to then he up and dies and the next one is cruel or a doofus and then you’re stuck.

I never put this together before! This seems to be a big part of Karen Marie Moning's Fever Series which creates her own version of the Seelie and Unseelie courts. It does a good job of showing that the extremes in themselves are bad including the beautiful and summery Seelie which is something which hasn't really come across well to ASOIAF's fandom either by design or accident. I believe GRRM compared the Others to Ice Fae.

Wow, yeah, a kindred spirit on this one! ;)  I haven't read Karen Marie but will check it out.  Another fantasy series that touches upon this is "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher but it is more of a modern urban fantasy.  Not idea if your cup of tea or not but yes, touches on this Summer -v- Winter and the fact that no one can be an overall winner.  I think GRRM hints at the fact that what we have now is an unbalance...  not sure on which side though, since we have dragons back again and WWs.  My wagger is that WF historically played a large role on the peace treaty at the time... and that this will end with the Others accepting  to keep out of the way and the dragons dead or asleep...

Now, as a commoner, I probably will lawfully take the banner or my Lord/Lady if they were fair by and large, like say the Starks under Ned or something.

You make an excellent point about a liege you like dying and the next, hell Joffrey or Ramsay (you didn't say that) but hell yes.  Still, I think, even in a feudal regime, as unfair as it sounds to us the under Lords and to a point the commoners supporting them had a little power, not much but some (without it, any Lord could rule, the common people have no choice but can rebel and had done in history).  What Ramsey did to Lady Hornwood for instance is unlikely to be forgotten, they are just bidding their time, say whether great Lady or wet nurse my true allegiance, goes without saying, to whoever treats me well, which would leave me open to the likes of LF who may pay me excellent but conspire to take that IT, but what would I know of it unless I was Sansa's maid or something? On the other hand, if I am a shrewd maid, I may be better placed to aid my liege Lord or Lady if I happened to like them.  Yes, only one of me, but if many could follow (getting the commoners together for my Lord/Lady or against).  If I did help them  my Lord/Lady would owe me something.  I wouldn't be doing it for reward, although hey, wouldn't say no to one, even if it meant marrying their second cousin to one of them or having my grandson as a squire or something... Yet,  I am a materialistic bitch (if commoner in that world) but I cannot imagine why Old Nanna served the Starks for so long, salary possibly meager, but she was fed and well kept and she desired nothing more materially.  It seems to me that the Starks had a lot of loyal servants in GOT.  So I guess  that is what I would want as a Lady or as a servant.

Lol, going to the Seelie and Unseeling, I personally (could well be wrong) think GM's summer is dragons, R'hollor mayhaps... they sacrifice to that but so does Crasten to the Others...  I think he is pitting them out as bad as one another and that the resolution can only be a pact, and restoration  of seasons, but hey I am given to crap pot ideas lol ;)

2 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Wow, yeah, a kindred spirit on this one! ;)  I haven't read Karen Marie but will check it out.  Another fantasy series that touches upon this is "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher but it is more of a modern urban fantasy.  Not idea if your cup of tea or not but yes, touches on this Summer -v- Winter no one can be an overall winner.  I think GRRM hints at the fact that what we have now is an unbalance...  not sure on which side though, since we have dragons back again and WWs.  My wagger is that WF historically played a large role on the peace treaty at the time... and that this will end with the Others accepting  to keep out of the way and the dragons dead or asleep...

Now, as a commoner, I probably will lawfully take the banner or my Lord/Lady if they were fair by and large, like say the Starks under Ned or something.

I'd just focus on the Fever Series to start. Some of the other stuff is paranormal romance but she branched off into Urban Fantasy here. I've been meaning to get back to the Dresden Files, now I'll look for that. Apparently I didn't get far enough into the series. I have the same thoughts on Winterfell and it may extend to the Starks themselves. 

This has me wondering now as to why it's so unclear in ASOIAF that it's imbalance rather than good/bad when it's more forefront in other series. I've wondered to the extent that GRRM tricks the readers into believing something then shows them that they're wrong to make a point. The way all of the readers judged Jaime harshly at first then when we got in his head, we found out it was all different was definitely one instance of this. 

Coming back around to the topic, I wonder if all of this leading the reader to pick sides (favorite families, favorite rules, Ice or Fire) isn't deliberate to show the reader something along the lines of what we saw with Jaime - essentially leading the reader to make the same mistakes as the characters with the intent of a lesson to be learned. 

33 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I'd just focus on the Fever Series to start. Some of the other stuff is paranormal romance but she branched off into Urban Fantasy here. I've been meaning to get back to the Dresden Files, now I'll look for that. Apparently I didn't get far enough into the series. I have the same thoughts on Winterfell and it may extend to the Starks themselves. 

This has me wondering now as to why it's so unclear in ASOIAF that it's imbalance rather than good/bad when it's more forefront in other series. I've wondered to the extent that GRRM tricks the readers into believing something then shows them that they're wrong to make a point. The way all of the readers judged Jaime harshly at first then when we got in his head, we found out it was all different was definitely one instance of this. 

Coming back around to the topic, I wonder if all of this leading the reader to pick sides (favorite families, favorite rules, Ice or Fire) isn't deliberate to show the reader something along the lines of what we saw with Jaime - essentially leading the reader to make the same mistakes as the characters with the intent of a lesson to be learned. 

I don't know to be honest but I highly suspect that what George is doing is saying, perhaps in a patronising way "not all is what it seems," "give people you think villains a chance." Okay he does it back and forth, with Tyrion and Arya, semi-demonizes them only to redeem them I am sure... Opposite with Jaime... twists and turns but he has a fairly good clue about human psychology, me thinks...

Now paranormal romance with bits added, up my street, will check it out and thank you for the recommendation.

Yes, I think. although I doubt this series will end in representative democracy, that there would be a strong council of the winners of course:  Jon and Dany (if they live; my wagger is she dies but hey) Tyrion for sure, Davos, likely, Sansa, likely, Arya (Mistress of Whispers to Counteract what Varys does), i.e. they have them both etc!  Too good to be true, possibly, but the desolation would be like total.  Hardly any population, kids or crops, everyone has lost tons of loved ones, but a blank canvass onto which they can write and rebuild... Most likely I am wrong but this is how I see the reconstruction period after the final battle.

It's not that exciting to say, but the red 3-headed dragon on a black field is the most terrifying sigil in all of Westeros.  It projects massive strength.  And I am NOT a fan of the Targaryens, but if we are removing the association with a house and just picking the best banner independently it is theirs for sure.

Archived