Common cause with [someone Ned] despised

Raisin' Bran

"I told Petyr our suspicions about Jon Arryn's death," Catelyn said. "He has promised to help you find the truth."
That was not news that Eddard Stark welcomed, but it was true enough that they needed help, and Littlefinger had been almost a brother to Cat once. It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised. "Very well," he said, thrusting the dagger into his belt.
Eddard IV, AGoT

Who did Ned Stark despise but made common cause with nonetheless? There are a couple answers that I think are possibilities but am not satisfied that they fit.

1. Greyjoy's Rebellion: Apart from the Ironborn themselves, the Lannisters were probably who suffered the most loss in the Greyjoy Rebellion. My understanding was that Stark, Baratheon, and Lannister forces attacked and defeated the Ironborn. Ned had made his disdain for the Lannisters well known, but I am not sure if he really made "common cause" with Tywin in this situation. We do not read of Ned fighting alongside Lannisters, nor of Lannisters really being a big part of what happened in the sea battles or the battles on the Iron Islands. we hear of:

• Ned and Robert on Pyke accepting Balon's surrender
  • Stannis commanding his ships next to Fair Isle, defeating Victarion. Stannis then subdued Great Wyk.
  • Barriston Selmy led at Greay Wyk

2. Robert's Rebellion: Many houses fought for Robert in his war against the Crown, Ned does not reflect on them very much, but I suppose that he may despise the Freys for arriving late to the Trident. Or the lords in and around Gulltown in the Vale who the rebels had to fight to secure the port, but later joined the rebel army.

Who can make an argument for either of these possibilities? Or is there another event that I am neglecting to remember?

2 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Who did Ned Stark despise but made common cause with nonetheless? There are a couple answers that I think are possibilities but am not satisfied that they fit.

1. Greyjoy's Rebellion: Apart from the Ironborn themselves, the Lannisters were probably who suffered the most loss in the Greyjoy Rebellion. My understanding was that Stark, Baratheon, and Lannister forces attacked and defeated the Ironborn. Ned had made his disdain for the Lannisters well known, but I am not sure if he really made "common cause" with Tywin in this situation. We do not read of Ned fighting alongside Lannisters, nor of Lannisters really being a big part of what happened in the sea battles or the battles on the Iron Islands. we hear of:

• Stannis commanding his ships next to Fair Isle, defeating Victarion. Stannis then subdued Great Wyk.

2. Robert's Rebellion: Many houses fought for Robert in his war against the Crown, Ned does not reflect on them very much, but I suppose that he may despise the Freys for arriving late to the Trident. Or the lords in and around Gulltown in the Vale who the rebels had to fight to secure the port, but later joined the rebel army.

Who can make an argument for either of these possibilities? Or is there another event that I am neglecting to remember?

I think that Lannisters are true answer.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, Raisin' Bran said:

Varys or Tywin.

On 05/02/2018 at 10:22 PM, Faera said:

Seconded.

Carried.

Although it could also be a general statement. Ned's been around the block, fought in two wars, and governed the North for years, he's probably had to deal with all manner of shady characters - the Lannisters, Roose Bolton, Lyn Corbray.  

Lannisters and namely Tywin would be my first guess, as well, plus all kinds of bastards he'd had to deal with during the Rebellion and the like.

Varys would be an interesting possibility, but to my best memory, nothing in their interactions suggests some special secret dealings.

21 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

This comes up in small questions a lot. The common responses are Tywin and Roose. 

Thanks for that. I had searched "common cause" on the forum, but did not find much relating to Ned's thoughts in that chapter.

Archived