Are movie viewers ready for an R rated space opera?

NickGOT456

Or do the people think when they see a spaceship or an alien they think it is a kids movie?

What would you think of an adult themed space opera with serious themes? Serious themes like war, politics, slavery, cloning, artificial intelligence etc.

Would a scene in which a human psychically "embraces eternity" with an Asari like female from a beautiful biotic space elf race be a cheap way to attract viewers or should it be done?

Would adult viewers be freaked out or bored by such a scene?

Is the movie world ready for it?

And by the way I don't want this movie to be Mass Effect!

Time for movie producers to create something new!

Or do the people think when they see a spaceship or an alien they think it is a kids movie?

If they've watched AlienAliens or Event Horizon or one of the other R-rated space operas that actually exist, presumably not.

Would a scene in which a human psychically "embraces eternity" with an Asari like female from a beautiful biotic space elf race be a cheap way to attract viewers or should it be done?

If it's a Mass Effect movie, sure.

Then that was a really weird example to use.

What would you think of an adult themed space opera with serious themes? Serious themes like war, politics, slavery, cloning, artificial intelligence etc.

Like Blake's 7Battlestar GalacticaBabylon 5Deep Space Nine or The Expanse, you mean?

Space opera's already been doing this shit for forty years.

Then why did you just list a bunch of cliches?

47 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Every time this dude posts, I get more baffled as to what he's trying to achieve.

It's either a child or teenager who hasn't experienced a great deal of media and has "original" ideas to share or somebody deliberately imitating this style.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:27 PM, NickGOT456 said:

Would adult viewers be freaked out or bored by such a scene?

Is the movie world ready for it?

TV viewers weren't ready for R-rated high fantasy until they made GoT.

I think The Expanse, while not fully R-rated, is getting pretty close to it and people seem to like it. It's not a galaxy-wide space epic, with humanoid aliens but it's close.

20 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

TV viewers weren't ready for R-rated high fantasy until they made GoT.

I think The Expanse, while not fully R-rated, is getting pretty close to it and people seem to like it. It's not a galaxy-wide space epic, with humanoid aliens but it's close.

BSG had two R-rated (or unrated) TV movies complete with full male and female nudity, which I think was a first for space opera. In terms of themes, violence etc it was pretty close to being R-rated.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:53 AM, Werthead said:

If they've watched AlienAliens or Event Horizon or one of the other R-rated space operas that actually exist, presumably not.

Like Blake's 7Battlestar GalacticaBabylon 5Deep Space Nine or The Expanse, you mean?

For the first - Event Horizon is the only movie I've seen that still bothers me almost 20 years later. I did not know that was a horror movie when I borrowed it from the video store.

For the second - Don't forget the (heavily influenced by Blake's 7) Farscape which had one of the most inappropriate marketing campaigns in history. Muppets and spaceships don't make it a kids show, it may not be R rated but its very much an adult story.

20 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don’t recall any nudity in Razor.

Full-on dong shots, dude, although only in the Extended Cut DVD version. There's also female nudity in a similar extended cut of The Plan. It's really, extremely weird, especially as they do the "crash and zoom then pull into focus" shot on the penis they normally reserve for space battles. Definitely one of the most non-sequitur moments in watching the show.

ETA: It might have only been in The Plan, now I think of it. Razor has more blood and action, and that Adama flashback storyline instead.

Do they hand out R's for mature themes anymore though?   Because all kinds of horrible stuff gets a PG13.   Seems like only immature stuff gets tagged with an R, like bumping up against the limit of how many Fucks! you're allowed to say (a sign of how the writers didn't reeeely have much content to deliver, mature or otherwise) or loading up on the sexy bouncing and grinding aspect of sex scenes, like taking an extra close look at the manual rotation of hooters, like how they rotate your tires at jiffy lube.

I suppose the point here , if indeed there was one, was that you can tell a very mature story these days without crossing the line into extra gore of pulled out entrails or whatever still gets you an R rating.

On 2/12/2018 at 8:51 PM, karaddin said:

For the first - Event Horizon is the only movie I've seen that still bothers me almost 20 years later. I did not know that was a horror movie when I borrowed it from the video store.

For the second - Don't forget the (heavily influenced by Blake's 7) Farscape which had one of the most inappropriate marketing campaigns in history. Muppets and spaceships don't make it a kids show, it may not be R rated but its very much an adult story.

I was wondering when Farscape would show up. This is one show that I can watch again and again precisely because it is an adult show. Drug use, nudity, casual sex, lots of violence, yeah it was adult entertainment, and very good.

Archived