Conan the Barbarian TV Series (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

Conan the Barbarian TV Series In Works At Amazon From Ryan Condal, Miguel Sapochnik & Warren Littlefield

EXCLUSIVE: Amazon is developing drama series Conan, based on the books by Robert E. Howard, Deadline has learned. The project hails from Colony co-creator Ryan Condal, Game of Thrones director Miguel SapochnikFargo and The Handmaid’s Tale executive producer Warren Littlefield, Pathfinder Media and Endeavor Content.

Created and written by Condal, Conan retells the classic character’s story via a return to his literary origins. Driven out of his tribal homelands, Conan wanders the mysterious and treacherous world of civilization where he searches for purpose in a place that rejects him as a mindless savage.

Condal admits to having a personal obsession with the material, which Sapochnik also has been a longtime fan of, leading to their collaboration on the project with the creative goal to return to the original Howard literary works and produce a series that is faithful to the spirit of his Conan character.

Here's hoping they get it right. I liked Jason Mamoa as Conan, but the movie was meh.

I would still love to see Arnie come back for one more movie. Want to see King Conan sit the throne...

24 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah what are they going to do next, remake Hamlet AGAIN?

What exactly are you getting at? Want more derivative shit? Remakes and reboots in the last ten years have been generally awesome? Or...what?

I don't think a regular TV series is the right format at all. I could get behind seeing adaptations of the original Conan stories, warts and all, as a sort of anthology show -- don't waste time creating fluff to fill between stories, just jump from story to story over a season or two max.

Don't know, really, if even that will work. To be honest, can't imagine anyone will ever do Conan better than Conan the Barbarian did it. What more needs to be said about Conan?

I think this has the potential to be fun. Go Spartacus-style pulp. Could make a nice companion show to LOTR tbh and would give fantasy fans another reason to have amazon prime.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

What exactly are you getting at? Want more derivative shit? Remakes and reboots in the last ten years have been generally awesome? Or...what?

I get your general idea but Fargo is great and an exec producer from that is involved. Haven't seen Handmaid's Tale but it received great reviews and was also a film as well as a book. I'd be more excited if Noah Hawley was creating the show but the producer seems to be involved in making shows that work.

Never watched colony so the creator of that being involved is pretty neutral for me. The direction in GOT is usually solid and rarely the weakest aspect of the show.

Excited for this if they can be closer to the source material. I can't believe Amazon is going to have both a Conan and LOTR series. They are going strongly for the old fantasy lit. Maybe HP Lovecraft will be next?

On 2/6/2018 at 4:57 PM, Ran said:

I don't think a regular TV series is the right format at all. I could get behind seeing adaptations of the original Conan stories, warts and all, as a sort of anthology show -- don't waste time creating fluff to fill between stories, just jump from story to story over a season or two max.

Don't know, really, if even that will work. To be honest, can't imagine anyone will ever do Conan better than Conan the Barbarian did it. What more needs to be said about Conan?

Howard's stories are all over the place. You have stories with him as a thief, a pirate, a mercenary, and a king. A show can streamline them, in each season, his character "moves up in the world" until he gets to rule Aquilonia, and have the last season with him as king and pretty much include Howard's first story, The Phoenix in the Sword, in it.

And while I love Conan the Barbarian, Arnold was pretty bad in it, so even just getting a better actor and doing the same story could still improve on it.

Howard's stories are all over the place. You have stories with him as a thief, a pirate, a mercenary, and a king. A show can streamline them, in each season, his character "moves up in the world" until he gets to rule Aquilonia, and have the last season with him as king and pretty much include Howard's first story, The Phoenix in the Sword, in it.

Yeah, I don't think each of these things should be a season.

And while I love Conan the Barbarian, Arnold was pretty bad in it,

Agree to disagree. He was iconic in it. Milius's script used what he could deliver pretty perfectly.

56 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yeah, I don't think each of these things should be a season.

Agree to disagree. He was iconic in it. Milius's script used what he could deliver pretty perfectly.

The script was solid, and that delivery was his best in the film, but there are other moments when he has such a dumb look on his face, that I simply cannot see Howard's Conan in him. 

On 2/6/2018 at 4:03 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The 1982 John Milius version is quite unique. Downright adult and not family friendly. More like what Howard wrote. There is no other 'adult' or good 'adult' sword and sorcery film story like it. If they keep that edgy R rated flavoring to it it would be a boon. i remember how disappointing the 1984 Conan the Destroyer , the sequel was, a wimpy Conan!

Arnold was the very vision of the  Frank Frazetta's ball peen brute , but even Howard's character could , at least , deliver his lines! I don't know who they could get?

1 hour ago, boojam said:

The 1982 John Milius version is quite unique. Downright adult and not family friendly. More like what Howard wrote. There is no other 'adult' or good 'adult' sword and sorcery film story like it. If they keep that edgy R rated flavoring to it it would be a boon. i remember how disappointing the 1984 Conan the Destroyer , the sequel was, a wimpy Conan!

Arnold was the very vision of the  Frank Frazetta's ball peen brute , but even Howard's character could , at least , deliver his lines! I don't know who they could get?

I saw this film when it first came out , and I loved it . I thought it more then did justice to Conan.  

Amazon's going in hard on finding a big-budget fantasy series. This is probably going to be expensive, on top of the (probably) $1 billion minimum they're going to spend on that Lord of the Rings TV series. 

I think it could be a lot of fun. It could be their answer to Netflix's Witcher TV series. 

Archived