Conan the Barbarian TV Series (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

You know , I like  Vikings I think it is well done, but it does not pull me in.

I have watched season 1 of Man in a High Castle and Stranger Things, I thought they were great, I watched the first two episodes of season 2 or both of those , they are good, but don't pull me in.

I have now watched a season of Black Mirror and the new Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams, really good, but I am not enthusiastic about seeing more. Have noticed some 'tap dancing' with those two and am afraid West World is going that way to.

HBO's WestWorld team had Foundation for a while , I wanted to see what they would do with that, but looks like HBO let that go?

Altered Carbon is pretty good but it's not pulling me in.

Now I would watch more of HBO's ROME is they had made more, re watched that lately that pulls me in!

Besides GoT the only show I turn to now and am looking forward to is The Expanse. (No one has ever done space opera like that before .and that includes Firefly.)

So Conan better be something really out of the ordinary and I am dubious.

• 5 months later...

Sounds like Kurt Busiek's Conan comic with Cary Nord is serving as an inspiration, as he did the same thing -- a chronological narrative with new material filling in gaps, including some stuff on Conan's days before he left Cimeria. Really good fun.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Sounds like Kurt Busiek's Conan comic with Cary Nord is serving as an inspiration, as he did the same thing -- a chronological narrative with new material filling in gaps, including some stuff on Conan's days before he left Cimeria. Really good fun.

They'd do well to look at that comic for storyboard ideas.

This is positive news for the show as long as they don't stretch the material out. I actually prefer the idea of creating new material to bridge stories. The show needs to have a swift pace in keeping with the pulp approach of the books.

I wonder if Sawyer from lost could play an older Conan further down the road? Just thinking out loud in the sense showrunners often stick with actors. Looks like the show will need a few actors if they are starting with teen Conan (although they can easily adapt the show so that his adventures largely feature one actor).

I think I'm more hopeful of this than LOTR at this point. I like how Amazon are thinking long term with what's looking like a hub for SFF. They've bought the properties but not rushing them out like some might do. Fingers crossed the comic adaptations (Lazarus and East of West) are still in active development.

7 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Never be as good as the animated series from the 90's.

Conaaaan, the adventureeeer

Loved that song and show at the time. I recall it turning quite dark at one point with one of his sidekicks betraying him. The phoenix was fun too

36 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Even though I really wanted a King Conan to round out the original film, this is good news! 

I’m pretty sure Schwarzenegger’s on record as wanting to play King Conan 

Lots of chatter about how they're going to handle the more problematic issues of the Conan stories, namely the treatment of women and non-white characters, which should be interesting. A number of the female characters in Conan are actually relatively active in the story (there's a few IIRC where Conan goes to rescue someone, gets into trouble himself and his would-be rescuee ends up saving him) and you have of course Belit as a relatively major female character with some agency. I've seen the suggestion about casting her with a black actress to eliminate the "white saviour" trope she embodies, as it's a fairly minor change which eliminates several issues in one go.

They're all under-dressed, of course, but some sensible costume changes can resolve that issue (and Conan himself is going to be presumably wearing realistic armour and clothes rather than walking around like a Franzetta painting). But yeah, there's going to be a limit on what they can do whilst remaining true to stories written predominantly for boys' magazines from the 1930s.

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

They're all under-dressed, of course, but some sensible costume changes can resolve that issue (and Conan himself is going to be presumably wearing realistic armour and clothes rather than walking around like a Franzetta painting). But yeah, there's going to be a limit on what they can do whilst remaining true to stories written predominantly for boys' magazines from the 1930s.

I'd be fine with going the recent Conan: Exiles video game route, and simply have everyone be extremely underdressed in various furs and leathers. There are a handful of sensible armors for both genders, but its mostly male gaze and female gaze galore (and when creating your character, since there's an option for full nudity, let's just say there is equal opportunity for adjusting sexual attributes).

Guess it depends on whether Amazon wants the show to be the equivalent of a PG-13 or a hard R. I'd be fine either way. Its only if all the men wear sensible clothes and its only women that are half-to-entirely naked that I'd have a problem.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:56 PM, briantw said:

To be, or not to be...not to be.

On the Conan note, I've found that I need about one thing (sans Arnold) to get me interested again: that'd be Basil Poledouris' classic Conan the Barbarian score to be an integral part of the viewing experience.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:57 PM, Ran said:

I don't think a regular TV series is the right format at all. I could get behind seeing adaptations of the original Conan stories, warts and all, as a sort of anthology show -- don't waste time creating fluff to fill between stories, just jump from story to story over a season or two max.

Don't know, really, if even that will work. To be honest, can't imagine anyone will ever do Conan better than Conan the Barbarian did it. What more needs to be said about Conan?

I'm with you. I think the original is a beautiful movie with excellent music and great themes. I know Conan diehards say it veers too much from the source material, but I've read the Conan stories, and I think the movie caught their spirit and turned it into an epic. Oh, I know I know, Conan said a prayer at the end--let alone the fact that prayer was the punchline of why he doesn't pray--but the original movie just kind of nailed it.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:05 PM, Maltaran said:

I’m pretty sure Schwarzenegger’s on record as wanting to play King Conan 

I guess a film could still occur especially with arnie involved. Superheroes seem to exist in tv and film without any issue.

All this talk of people walking around in loin cloths must have the entire cast of "spartacus" polishing their resumes :) . Several of them have gone on to show they can be quite charismatic eg manu bennet

On 7/28/2018 at 1:39 PM, Werthead said:

The Amazon Conan series will adapt Robert E. Howard's stories in chronological order.

Excellent news. This makes the series a lot more interesting than yet another "inspired by" story, like the three previous movies.

This is epic news.

I know people rave about the original Arnie film as if it's the ultimate adaption but it really pales in comparison to the original source material sadly. It is a good film, and i do love it (especially the score) but it's not really a good rendition of the Conan and the world we see in the written stories. The less said about the second film the better......shudder.

Now if they are really going to do true-to-source adaptions in the chronological order with a decent budget and the right cast this could be amazing. GOT had a tonne of material to follow but REH's stories predated just about every single fantasy book out there, they are literally where it all started. I'd love to see them get a faithful adaption.
I'm not sure a series format is ideal, i'd much rather prefer something akin to the Sharpe TV movies where each episode i suppose covers a different original tale. Some of the original material might need to be expanded on a bit, things like The Frost Giant's Daughter are lacking in background and are too short to be solely adapted "as seen". Whereas epic tales like Beyond the Black River and The Hour of the Dragon will need to be multi-part episodes i'm sure, or possibly full movie length adaptions.

I think Milius's distillation is going to serve the legacy of Conan a lot better than too many uneven stories, but that's just me. I do agree a miniseries or series of TV movies might make more sense in that regard, but... we'll see.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Not confirmed, but it sounds like Amazon have passed on the Conan series and it's now out to tender with other studios.

That's a shame but felt there was no way they'd do this and WOT when LOTR is a given. Hopefully good news coming for WOT.

Starz! Feels like a good home for Conan after their success with Spartacus.

Archived