Gerold Dayne

Littlefinger's crewman

The thing I find most odd about him is why he specifically was recruited for Arianne's crew and the background of how she recruited him. She had all of her closest childhood friends and Arys who she had seduced. How did she get Darkstar and why? She wouldn't have been sending messages to random Dornish Lords and Knights hoping they would join her, it would be too risky if they didn't side with her and instead told her father about the plot.

Obviously Arianne knew something about Darkstar and that he would be certain to join the cause, she probably didn't trust him so there must be another reason he was recruited as the obvious odd one out, I don't buy the needing his sword and his keep excuse because she could have got anyone else for that. The other thing is she must have had access to him to get him on board so quickly, was he at court in Sunspear or somewhere else nearby? 

None of this is ever really explained, even in Arianne's thoughts. This is what makes him even more fascinating.  

1 hour ago, Stuart Littlefinger said:

The thing I find most odd about him is why he specifically was recruited for Arianne's crew and the background of how she recruited him. She had all of her closest childhood friends and Arys who she had seduced. How did she get Darkstar and why? She wouldn't have been sending messages to random Dornish Lords and Knights hoping they would join her, it would be too risky if they didn't side with her and instead told her father about the plot.

Obviously Arianne knew something about Darkstar and that he would be certain to join the cause, she probably didn't trust him so there must be another reason he was recruited as the obvious odd one out, I don't buy the needing his sword and his keep excuse because she could have got anyone else for that. The other thing is she must have had access to him to get him on board so quickly, was he at court in Sunspear or somewhere else nearby? 

None of this is ever really explained, even in Arianne's thoughts. This is what makes him even more fascinating.  

Isn't it implied that the two had played a round of how's your father some time in the past? 

10 hours ago, Makk said:

I think he is probably Doran's informer and he is going to be the new Oberyn. I think there is a high chance Dorne is going to have a civil war with some of the population wanting to support fAegon and the rest wanting to support Daenerys and he will be a reasonably important figure in that. First of all though I think he is going to kill Balon Swann.

I have enjoyed this point of view. Also that he will take up the mantle of the Vulture King.

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Interesting as always LM. I have my own crackpot theories on him but this is pretty good.

7 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Anybody else think he is the child of Lewyn Martell and his paramour?

Ran has stated that Darkstar isn't anyone's bastard so I'd say no. However I do have a crackpot theory on Marwyn being Lewyn's bastard with his paramour.

It's implied by Daemon Sand that Oberyn(as well as Daemon) knew him well enough to think he was poison. Daemon was Oberyn's squire but perhaps Darkstar was Oberyn's squire before Daemon. Maybe Darkstar accompanied Oberyn, as his squire, when he went to Essos and signed the pact for the Viserys/Arianne marriage. If that got out to the Baratheons/Lannisters/Tyrells currently on the Iron Throne it could be seen as an act of treason. A secret that Darkstar knows that could put the Martells in a dangerous position with the Iron Throne if he is not caught and killed. Doran may think he could go to Cersei and tell her that the Martells have been plotting to take her son's Throne all along and most likely still are plotting. While not a huge secret since Doran has sent his children to make possible alliances with Targaryens, it could force a cautious Doran to make a move before he wants too

13 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

I don't know what makes him dangerous to the Martells.  You would think Doran would have killed him if he was a threat.

Exactly - Doran only says Darkstar is dangerous - that doesn't necessarily mean he's dangerous to the Martells. He could be one of Doran's secret weapons, though he does seem to be bit of a sword without a hilt, if so...

9 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

17 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Anybody else think he is the child of Lewyn Martell and his paramour?

Ran has stated that Darkstar isn't anyone's bastard so I'd say no. However I do have a crackpot theory on Marwyn being Lewyn's bastard with his paramour.

I'd go with that, too. This is Dorne - there is no taint to being a Sand. If he's called Dayne, then he is a Dayne.

Beyond this, I haven't really figured out our Mr Darkstar - still too many gaps in his story...

10 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Ya, that’s too bad... the bastard inverse of colors for the Dayne coat of arms would be a sweet dark star. 

I always wondered why Oberyn disliked him so... although I would agree he seems super bitter about something.

GRRM tried his best to lead us to think that Darkstar might have dragon/Targ blood. He put as many hints as he can. and too much. This made me feel that Darkstar is actually just who he is. A Dayne of High Hermitage. Nothing else. House Dayne is just GRRM’s largest red herring. 

Always thought Darkstar had a whole heap of story line potential and would greatly enjoy seeing more of him. While I can't outright subscribe to any of the theories just yet (not enough to go on sadly), there are a few which I find both highly plausible and extremely cool.

I like a lot the Brightflame theory a lot. The way I see it, Egg would probably have sent little Maegor to live with his grandmothers kin, for where else was better suited? I've mentioned before how I find the name of Gerold's keep - High Hermitage - to be very suggestive, considering the Dayne family has been flying under the radar for the last decade. Might HH have been named for a bright prince who has had to wait? 

I also like the Squire at The Tower of Joy scenario, if not for anything other than the potential ramifications. The age works out, and Gerold watching the beloved Arthur Dayne be defeated in combat could be a sound reason for Darkstar's apparent negativity towards his coz.

The Viper's bastard theory is certainly nice. Gerold's swordsmanship, black streak, dark eyes and venom weaning could certainly all have came from Oberyn. The Sand Snakes laughed off the idea of Gerold slashing Myrcella, I wonder if this was due to some familial knowledge of his character. I do believe Darkstar and Doran are in cahoots, so wouldn't be surprised if the Sand Snakes reaction was more to do with that.

Gerold becoming one of Aegon's Kingsguard would certainly fit with historical events. I wonder if Arianne will mention Darkstar to Aegon

- "hey coz, I've got this friend in Dorne who you would get a kick out of! His hair and eyes are quite like yours. By the way, he's the cousin of your father's best friend."

I think Aegon, being young and excitable, would want to meet this Darkstar. No doubt his handlers would see the strategic value of having a Dayne join the cause.

Just now, Leo of House Cartel said:

Always thought Darkstar had a whole heap of story line potential and would greatly enjoy seeing more of him. While I can't outright subscribe to any of the theories just yet (not enough to go on sadly), there are a few which I find both highly plausible and extremely cool.

I like a lot the Brightflame theory a lot. The way I see it, Egg would probably have sent little Maegor to live with his grandmothers kin, for where else was better suited? I've mentioned before how I find the name of Gerold's keep - High Hermitage - to be very suggestive, considering the Dayne family has been flying under the radar for the last decade. Might HH have been named for a bright prince who has had to wait? 

I also like the Squire at The Tower of Joy scenario, if not for anything other than the potential ramifications. The age works out, and Gerold watching the beloved Arthur Dayne be defeated in combat could be a sound reason for Darkstar's apparent negativity towards his coz.

The Viper's bastard theory is certainly nice. Gerold's swordsmanship, black streak, dark eyes and venom weaning could certainly all have came from Oberyn. The Sand Snakes laughed off the idea of Gerold slashing Myrcella, I wonder if this was due to some familial knowledge of his character. I do believe Darkstar and Doran are in cahoots, so wouldn't be surprised if the Sand Snakes reaction was more to do with that.

Gerold becoming one of Aegon's Kingsguard would certainly fit with historical events. I wonder if Arianne will mention Darkstar to Aegon

- "hey coz, I've got this friend in Dorne who you would get a kick out of! His hair and eyes are quite like yours. By the way, he's the cousin of your father's best friend."

I think Aegon, being young and excitable, would want to meet this Darkstar. No doubt his handlers would see the strategic value of having a Dayne join the cause.

And three! (Well, almost. :))  

Just now, Lost Melnibonean said:

And three! (Well, almost. :))  

The two and three quarter heads of the bright dragon. B) 

What about you LM, do you think Arianne will mention Darkstar to Aegon? I wonder if he has even met anyone with Valyrian features before (besides Lysonno Maar). Could be a good way to bring him around, what with the Arthur Dayne angle.

I suppose it would depend on whether or not Darkstar is on Doran's team.

15 minutes ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

The two and three quarter heads of the bright dragon. B) 

What about you LM, do you think Arianne will mention Darkstar to Aegon? I wonder if he has even met anyone with Valyrian features before (besides Lysonno Maar). Could be a good way to bring him around, what with the Arthur Dayne angle.

I suppose it would depend on whether or not Darkstar is on Doran's team.

Doesn't Arianne believe that Darkstar tried to kill Myrcella, and maimed her in the attempt? I doubt she is going to recommend him for any high honors. 

10 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Doesn't Arianne believe that Darkstar tried to kill Myrcella, and maimed her in the attempt? I doubt she is going to recommend him for any high honors. 

I think she does, but would need to read through her TWOW sample chapter again to see if she mentions it.

As I said, I'm a believer that Doran and Darkstar are on good terms, so wouldn't be surprised if the Prince of Dorne told his daughter before she left for the Stormlands.

Even if Arianne views Gerold in a negative light, I could still see her bringing him in up conversation with Aegon, due to his family and his physical appearance.

If she really believes he screwed her plan then she might even tell Aegon what a prick this Darkstar guy is, which could cause some interesting bad blood between he and Dayne.

In terms of the Brightfire angle, do you think anyone else in Dorne would know? The Martells or Yronwoods, perhaps?

7 minutes ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

I think she does, but would need to read through her TWOW sample chapter again to see if she mentions it.

As I said, I'm a believer that Doran and Darkstar are on good terms, so wouldn't be surprised if the Prince of Dorne told his daughter before she left for the Stormlands.

Even if Arianne views Gerold in a negative light, I could still see her bringing him in up conversation with Aegon, due to his family and his physical appearance.

If she really believes he screwed her plan then she might even tell Aegon what a prick this Darkstar guy is, which could cause some interesting bad blood between he and Dayne.

In terms of the Brightfire angle, do you think anyone else in Dorne would know? The Martells or Yronwoods, perhaps?

My guess is that, in combination with Gerold's superior swordsmanship, is why Doran Martell called Darkstar the most dangerous man in Dorne. 

I would expect that House Dayne would know it, but since we are talking about something that would have happened a few generations ago, without much fanfare, I doubt that the other great houses of Dorne, or elsewhere, would be aware of it. Olenna Tyrell would know. So might Walder Frey, Wyman Manderly, Brynden Blackfish. Perhaps more importantly, Barristan Selmy might know too. (But I am not suggesting that he would back Darkstar if such a scenario developed.) 

Archived