Full frontal Star Wars - D&D Strike Back

Howdyphillip

The announcement today from Lucasfilm seems like it merits its own discussion. I am actually cautiously optimistic about this despite the obvious warning signs like Confederate. These guys are fans, and have proven themselves to be able to translate fandom to a series worth watching despite its faults. Beniof and Weiss playing in my favorite sandbox is something I am looking forward to seeing.

I really do worry about Star Wars fatigue.

Rian Johnson’s got a trilogy... B&W have a series of films...

Maybe they can all get away from established characters and I will like it. :dunno: 

I'm looking forward to it. New setting and new stories, plus you know Disney is going to spend a ton of these because if even one of them becomes a Game of Thrones level hit they'll make way more money per year than it will cost them to spend $20 million/episode. 

I found out D&D wrote or cowrote 53 episodes of GoT, so I'm slightly less worried then I was initially.

I find the idea of overkill kind of hilarious at this point, since nothing has been announced and after Solo there's nothing for..18 months? There's this weird vibe around the net like all 6 of these films and the TV shows are going to come out all at once. Everything I;ve read suggests there still sticking to one film a year.

Well that's rather distressing. I don't know why, but for some reason the universe seeks to inflict these chucklefucks on all my favorite shit. I just hope they do Knight of the Old Republic or something like that so my friends who are sick of hearing whine about how bad they fucked up Game of Thrones know my pain.

I am very worried. I do think D&D are talented, just not that much for writing. Making an original SW movie is in some small ways like making a good GoT episode after you are out off source material. 

I have a hard time believing they will respect rules in SW universe and historic points (yes, Disney threw EU out of cannon, but imagine fandom response if D&D do something that goes directly agains KOTOR material) etc... D&D showed that they like to simplify that kind of things or make them illogical. And since Star Wars is supposed to aim at kids I can totally see them thinking that they can get away with that kind if things even more then they did wth GoT. And this is just one small part of the problem their style of work and writing could create..

And what is with that Kennedy statement that they created GoT and complex characters where their idea? 

5 minutes ago, Lady Darry said:

And what is with that Kennedy statement that they created GoT and complex characters where their idea? 

She didn’t say either of those things...

“Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

Eh, it hasn't even been remotely confirmed its going to be KotoR. (Which I find absurdly overrated, but I digress).

And yeah, I admit I thought that's what she said in when I first read that statement too but Nictarion is right, she never actually says that.

Also my God I keep reading that as Dungeons and Dragons and will continue to do so until I die.

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

I really do worry about Star Wars fatigue.

Rian Johnson’s got a trilogy... B&W have a series of films...

Maybe they can all get away from established characters and I will like it. :dunno: 

A valid worry but really itvwas inevitable considering the amount spent acquiring the rights to SW. don’t recall the exact amount but I believe it was in the approximate ballpark of ‘a shit tonne’ :P 

As to the D&D announcement...well, to a thing that happened. I too would like a series following new characters outside of what we know. Sadly I don’t think Benioff and Weiss have any skill at crafting original characters and content, so hopefully someone else is in charge of the writing

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh, it hasn't even been remotely confirmed its going to be KotoR. (Which I find absurdly overrated, but I digress).

And yeah, I admit I thought that's what she said in when I first read that statement too but Nictarion is right, she never actually says that.

Also my God I keep reading that as Dungeons and Dragons and will continue to do so until I die.

I read that as Dungeons and Dragons, too. I had just read the news about Star Wars, and I was like what? There's a bunch of Dungeons & Dragons movies being made as well, and I haven't heard about it??!!

I for one welcome our new Star Wars Overlords. I'm a Marvel fan who has a lot of Marvel fatigue, as well as super hero fatigue in general. However, I can't yet see a point where I'd ever tire of Star Wars. If this goes crazy enough I might just retire all my hobbies and watch Star Wars content the rest of my natural life.

I don't really know what the title of this thread is about. I just saw an announcement about D&D. 

IMO, the time is rip for a live action TV show. With Disney launching their own streaming service in 2019 (or maybe just upgrading hulu), they should make a SW show their flagship show. And sure, have D&D run it, but I think we might be getting too many films at this point.

I wonder if this means HBO has quietly cancelled Confederate, or if the plan always was that the other two announced showrunners (who were quickly pointed out as African American after the controversy started) are the main creative force of it and D&D are just attached to it as a way to get it through pre-production faster.

Regardless, I wasn't super excited for Confederate (alternate history in general just isn't my jam) but I am excited for more Star Wars, and for D&D involved with Star Wars. I agree that D&D do seem better at executing someone else's vision rather than creating their own, but that makes them perfect for Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams, and the rest of LucasFilm HQ are going to be heavily involved in deciding the main thrusts of the story (as they seem to be with every Star Wars movie except The Last Jedi) and then D&D will have a focus to expand from.

As for Star Wars fatigue, it's certainly possible. But Marvel has proved that a lot of people can be convinced to see franchise movies multiple times per year every year; the trick just seems to be making some minor differences each time (focus on a different hero in Marvel's case; so focus on different periods of time in Star Wars case I think). Also, unless something is deeply underwraps, the next Star Wars movie after Solo is Episode IX in December 2019; that's a pretty big gap to give people time to recharge.

I hope the final season of GOT isn't as divisive as Episode VIII otherwise that's 6 star war films coming up where the fanbase won't be fully behind it. That's assuming the very vocal EpVIII haters won't watch another Rian Johnson helmed star wars film (I tend to think most will still watch anything called star wars).

You'd think after Ep VIII Disney would be a bit more cautious about handing out trilogies to creative teams. It's not like Star wars is famous for getting on with its directors either. I can see how they may have loved the working relationship with Rian but handing a trilogy over to creators they haven't worked with seems a gamble.

Maybe the trilogy isn't a trilogy and it's actually the TV show?

I can't wait for the Obi Wan Kenobi movie where he finds a nudist tribe of Sand People who spout exposition. :o

"Hello there!"

Ok, all jokes aside, I'll wait until they actually create something to have a pro/negative opinion on them doing Star Wars. I've enjoyed their turn in Westeros, and am frankly fine with them streamlining the bloated story, but can also see some trends that could mess up a Star Wars film.

I wonder if HBO apparently being quite happy to let D&D go but are holding GRRM on retainer is a tacit acknowledgement of who they regard as more important in the success of Game of Thrones?

Benioff and Weiss are interesting writers in that neither has written really acclaimed original material. Benioff had a decent novel turned into an okay film (The 25th Hour), another novel that was decent but massively historically inaccurate to the point of being distracting (City of Thieves), an okay-ish movie based on pre-existing material (Troy), a poor film based on pre-existing material (X-Men Origins: Wolverine, although he apparently tried to take his name off that and has admitted it's shite after other writes interfered with it), a decent film based on pre-existing material (The Kite Runner), four seasons of highly-regarded work but based quite closely on highly-acclaimed pre-existing material (Game of Thrones) and three seasons of a much more mixed reception when the original material vanished (Game of Thrones).

Weiss had one meh novel and several years in development hell on a Halo script before being rescued by Benioff to work on GoT.

Their main accomplishment so far has been in terms of mounting a very complex, ambitious production, getting material turned out in time to hit insanely challenging production deadlines on an annual basis and negotiating studio politics fairly astutely, showing good judgement on when to do exactly what the studio wants (rewrite the pilot!) and when to stand their ground and fight their corner (showing the battle in Blackwater and not wimping out on it). They're much better producers than writers.

Archived