How is Qyburn alive?

Varysblackfyre321

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So is that a plot hole or am I missing something?

Marwyn calls them the grey sheep for a reason. Like the Lhazareen, the maesters are delicate thinking people, not brutes. They would have to bring it up with the hightowers. And I am sure the citadel would not risk the gold of their patrons over one man 

5 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Marwyn calls them the grey sheep for a reason. Like the Lhazareen, the maesters are delicate thinking people, not brutes. They would have to bring it up with the hightowers. And I am sure the citadel would not risk the gold of their patrons over one man 

This.

The Maesters are so self-regarding they would consider expulsion to be a fate worse than death.

A chainless measter is the closest thing to a death sentence, I guess. Because of your vow you have no home to return to and because of your training you are not fit to be anywhere else than in a castle. Qyburn was tolerated amongst outlaws, but he was quick to make use of Jaime's gratitude so to trade this place for KL. Only that Cersei is likely the only one who would take a chainless measter into her service. Pia was Qyburns "All In", as I read it.

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

The maesters didn't want to make waves? A public execution of Qyburn couldn't reflect well on the Citadel.

Yeah, I was thinking this. Think Catholic Church, or any other institution where wrongdoing is uncovered. Often best just to make someone quietly go away than expose the whole institution. 

2 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Yeah, I was thinking this. Think Catholic Church, or any other institution where wrongdoing is uncovered. Often best just to make someone quietly go away than expose the whole institution. 

This indeed. But, but...

Given Marwyn warns Sam to keep his mouth shut about dragons and Others or fear "poison in his porridge" the maesters appear prepared to remove members / acolytes of their order who risk upsetting the smooth running of things so it does seem odd they did not slip poison in Qyburn's porridge and pass it off as a natural death.  I suppose they weren't too worried he would tour Westeros telling everyone what he had done but it turns out that he does spill this dirty secret and is now perfectly placed to do serious damage to their reputation. 

Also, paedophile priests were not defrocked (horrific as that may be), they were moved from parish to parish to hide the scandal while retaining them in the order to keep an eye on them and enseure they kept their mouths shut.  I think abuse scandals always stemmed from investigative journalism and the vicitms talking not the priest confessing or seeking to atone.  Outisde the order Qyburn has nothing to lose and there is no one in the hierarchy to restrain him.

So it does seem odd they didn't hush him up permanently.

9 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Marwyn calls them the grey sheep for a reason. Like the Lhazareen, the maesters are delicate thinking people, not brutes. They would have to bring it up with the hightowers.

I read this as a radical thinker's general disparagement of more conventional, conservative thinkers.  I think Qyburn even mentions that Marwyn liked his thinking, at least we can hope he meant at the theroetical level only and not in the practical exploration!

1 minute ago, the trees have eyes said:

I read this as a radical thinker's general disparagement of more conventional, conservative thinkers.  I think Qyburn even mentions that Marwyn liked his thinking, at least we can hope he meant at the theroetical level only and not in the practical exploration!

I would say we are both correct, as words and symbols can have multiple meanings 

Archived