Counterpart Starz Series (SPOILERS)

Astromech

Unfortunately, I think this par for the course with Starz. Their series just don't seem to the get the attention many of them deserve. Outlander seems to be the only one that has really broke that mold. Black Sails was fantastic, but it never seemed to be widely popular, the bubble of this forum obvioulsy being an exception. Counterpart was phenomenal, but it never seemed that popular even on this board. A shame. It is in my top 10 at least. I felt the final season was a bit rushed, but that first season was terrifically paced with the slow reveals. It resonates more today with coronavirus but it's also, unfortunately, quarantined on Starz on Demand. Who has that?

14 hours ago, red snow said:

so is anyone else getting the impression this show was a year ahead of its time? The alternate world is starting to look very familiar and a hell of a lot more plausible.

I wonder if the show would have fared better now that it has a bit more resonance? If I were Starz or some other channel I'd be promoting reruns of the show.

I'm sure as hell still annoyed that it wasn't renewed, and yeah I'm seeing your point about the alternate world.

18 hours ago, Astromech said:

Unfortunately, I think this par for the course with Starz. Their series just don't seem to the get the attention many of them deserve. Outlander seems to be the only one that has really broke that mold. Black Sails was fantastic, but it never seemed to be widely popular, the bubble of this forum obvioulsy being an exception. Counterpart was phenomenal, but it never seemed that popular even on this board. A shame. It is in my top 10 at least. I felt the final season was a bit rushed, but that first season was terrifically paced with the slow reveals. It resonates more today with coronavirus but it's also, unfortunately, quarantined on Starz on Demand. Who has that?

I was happy with how it ended but unhappy we didn't get more even a truncated final season would have been nice.

I think the starz shows really suffer from not having a major streaming company showing them. Most of them are now behind amazon sub channels and it's perhapy interesting that "outlander" is on prime (and channel 4 in uk) and is by far the most successful. I compare it to how Netflix made breaking bad a hit, not AMC.

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

I'm sure as hell still annoyed that it wasn't renewed, and yeah I'm seeing your point about the alternate world.

If i do a rewatch in future it will be interesting to see from a post coronavirus perspective. The annoying thing is i bet there will be a surge in pandemic/post pandemic apocalypse shows in the next few years.

• 6 months later...

Late to this show, but bloody hell do I love it. 

It just seems to tick so many boxes for me. I love that they set the plot in Berlin, a great divide between two worlds, the same people going off in two different directions from the same place. So many parallels with real life. Great choice. 

JK Simmons is brilliant in it as well. Being able to tell which version of him is on screen at any one time, just from looking at his face is the sign of a quality actor. He can just do all the emotions. I really teared up when he started talking about his daughter.

Yeah there are some things that do kinda bug me. Mentioned above, but how are these agents not getting caught, just how many sleeper agents can disappear without there being a massive investigation. 
The other point relates to who they target as sleeper agents. In the last ep of S1, the 3 they send across all work in the office, but don't they get selected as children? How would they know to select them?

Looking forward to S2, I'm assuming there are no massive cliffhangers at the end of that one. That would suck if it was cancelled.

Archived