Has anyone been reading since the 90s?

Lady Anna

I first read the books in 2010 and then Dance when it came out, and I'm sure most of you started reading around this time too. I love the books and this story and it's been an amazing journey all these years. But is there anyone here who started reading the series in the 90s? Or even in the early 2000s, pre-Feast? It must be really interesting to follow such a long series for so many years. How is it been like? And how was it like back then? 

Yup. Since 1998, maybe 1999, judging by the print date on my "AGOT". GRRM was the dude who'd written "Sandkings" and the Tuf stories, so I up and just bought the book. In a book store. Such were the times.

I was wowed immediately. The latter books, less so: the constantly shifting strategic outlook of the War of the Five Kings reminded me of the Asterixian Wars. Only it lasted a little longer than one page. The story, in my opinion, was sinking under the weight of countless details. But, it was still good, so I stayed around.

And then - the Wait. That has been unpleasant.

I would've been too young back then (I was born in the early 90s). I started reading (very slowly) in 2012, but I didn't catch up to ADWD until last year or so. In a sense it's been nice to not have to wait so much for the next books, but I guess, as you're mentioning, I've missed some of the speculation and theorizing that would've been going on.

It was the show that got me into reading the books, and it was a nice gateway into other works of fantasy. Though I'm finding myself in a difficult position to find any other work to match this one.

I find myself reading pre-ADWD and pre-AFFC theories just to witness how many theories actually tend to end up true. Some people have been amazingly spot-on.

Yes. I read AGoT and ACoK when ACoK came out in paperback, which was around late summer/early autumn 1999. I then read ASoS on the day it came out in the UK (which was for the best) and then got AFFC the very day it came out, when George was doing a signing, just over twelve years ago. It was my report of that signing that led me to become a mod here.

Archived