What cultural impact could there be from Robert dismissing Cersi for Margary?

Varysblackfyre321

A king can possibly set aside his wife: when Aerys ascended to the throne as King Aerys I, his small council urged the king to put Aelinor aside and marry another. (TWOIAF)

But I doubt Robert would divorce Cersei even if he started an affair with Margaery.He had many other women (even noble) and did not set her aside. Only if the twincest was revealed, Robert would marry Margaery. In this case Cersei, Jaime and their children are doomed. Even if they survive and return to Casterly Rock they will be looked as abominations and receive no respect.

If he sets Cersei aside because he dislikes her and he fathers children with Margaery, things are complicated. Who becomes his heir? Joffrey or his son with Margaery? Joffrey is the firstborn but Margaery is the Queen Dowager who can crown whoever she wants (especially if she is backed by Reach + Stormlands)

19 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

No not thousands. It'd be extremely limited to a few select families that of almost equal status to house baratheons. tVery few women in Westeroes are of the proper blood  to even be considered . The Tyrells being one of the richest families in the realm, the biggest military of all the provinces and who are being backed up by Renly who'd have gotten Robert's appreciation for uncovering the plot to put an abomination on his throne should place Margary(the Lyanna look a like) to be seen as the most likely  pick for who should replace Cersi.

Again he's already publicly trying to usurp his nephews throne and freely admits he has no basis for why he should be king instead other than he's better suited for it anyway; there's honestly no need to put up a charade on how Stannis's claim(to which he has no evidence), not being true if Renly doesn't know.

A Lyanna lookalike? I’m sure Robert would be able to distinguish between Margaery and Lyanna.

22 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

No not thousands. It'd be extremely limited to a few select families that of almost equal status to house baratheons. 

Westerosi Kings regularly married into below-LP Houses, the idea that only "equals" will pass has no basis. Blackwoods and Hightowers and Westerlings and others were in no way (almost) equals to Targaryens but they got their royal match all the same. If anything, Lannister fiasco can severely cool Robert to the idea of bringing overmighty bride into his home. Or Robert can just pull Robert and (especially in absence of Jon) marry in strict accordance to the strategic considerations of his dick. After all, Jon's smart plan with all that planning and thinking ended up in complete clusterfuck - so Renly's pitch "Now I have a smart plan now and it totally won't blow up in our faces like the last one" might not sound nearly as convincing.

It would be a very tight race with stiff competition; Margaery's victory would be in no way assured and she would need every advantage she could get.

22 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

there's honestly no need to put up a charade

Aside from looking good. Considering that's his entire stick, he can't exactly pull Stannis and suddenly grow deaf to PR concerns. That's not Renly.

1 hour ago, Myrish Lace said:

Aside from looking good. Considering that's his entire stick, he can't exactly pull Stannis and suddenly grow deaf to PR concerns. That's not Renly.

How would he look any worse off? Again, it's already known he's trying to usurp his own nephews throne for no apparent reason other than he'd make a better king-him being now trying to usurp his older brother's whose really not beloved by the nobility or the common man, won't suddenly make people turn away from him.

Westerosi Kings regularly married into below-LP Houses, the idea that only "equals" will pass has no basis. Blackwoods and Hightowers and Westerlings and others were in no way (almost) equals to Targaryens but they got their royal match all the same

The westerlings used to be kings and yes they got one of their daughters to be the sixth wife to King Maegor due to them having a proper standing at the time-now they can't even foster a marriage alliance with their own Lord Paramount's nephews for they are seen as having too low a standing to accept the proposal. Aegon V was way below in the line of succession and never expected to be king-so when prince Aegon married a Blackwood there was no uproar for the fact no one thought he'd have the throne anyway and he disinherited his son for having married a peasant. The Hightowers who were and still are one of the greatest house of the reach hell Westeroes in general. They have a proper station to marry. Princes and princesses are married off to those who can increase or better secure their families standing; so yes they have to be extremely selective as to who and there aren't thousands of women who'd considered a suitable match. 

the idea of bringing overmighty bride into his home. Or Robert can just pull Robert and (especially in absence of Jon) marry in strict accordance to the strategic considerations of his dick. After all, Jon's smart plan with all that planning and thinking ended up in complete clusterfuck - so Renly's pitch "Now I have a smart plan now and it totally won't blow up in our faces like the last one" might not sound nearly as convincing.

Yeah, the possibility of even Robert going that far I'm sure if it'd ever cross their mind would seem unlikely. Cersi wasn't Overmighty. She as Queen no more power than he'd allow. And the possibility of Robert being grateful to Renly for having unconvered this fiendish plots do whatever he recommends  would no doubt seem much more likely. 

19 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Like, there doesn't seem to be yet a concept for divorce in Westeroes; oaths are seen as sacrosanct and the basis for how noble families consolidate alliances.

I think the only way they(Renly and the Tyrells) could have planned  go about this should Margary have smitten Robert would be to go to the highsepton to get the oaths nullified what but would be the fallout from such a thing? 

Little to none Joffrey, Tommen , and Myrcella are still the royal heirs to the throne . They must be able to prove that Cercei was unfaithful and I ' m pretty sure that the Tyrells can buy somebody to lie .

14 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Maybe they just wanted Margaery to become Robert's mistress, have him fall in love with her so he would listen to what she whispered into his ear. In theory she could suggest new members for the Small Council/City Watch/KG/ect. and fill King's Landing with Tyrells and their supporters. Then when Robert croaked the Tyrells would be in a prime position to put Renly on the Throne and then marry him to Margaery. Renly could put the remaining Lannisters under lock and key like he wanted to do with Eddard. All believed possible because of how much Bob moaned about his lost love Lyanna. Renly and company thought Margaery could be Robert's new Lyanna.

Agreed. Alternatively, it wouldn't be that difficult to accuse Cersei of infidelity, or to find "witnesses" to it. He wouldn't even have to exile her children, just spread rumors that cast doubt on their legitimacy.

34 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

Agreed. Alternatively, it wouldn't be that difficult to accuse Cersei of infidelity, or to find "witnesses" to it.

Well, they'd even be able to find witnesses. Lancel Lannister, for one. Maybe even Moon Boy.

Though there are no confirmed examples that I know of a a wife actually being put aside, however the world book is full of discussion of it. More than once a king is encouraged to put a side a wife when the marriage is not producing children....the biggest exampoke I can think of is Aerys I....his advisors, distressed of his lack of heir...actively encouraged the king to seek a new wife.(Aerys refused, and maekar succeeded him) but it's see possible 

Archived