Jon Snow being real Aegon

Putin

Rhaegar naming him Aegon makes him look like a jerk, because he's essentially replacing his elder son Aegon with Jon. It would make more sense with naming Jon Viserys, since Rhaegar seemed to be naming his kids after Aegon the Conqueror and his sister-wives; he already had a Rhaenys and an Aegon, and a Visenya/Viserys would complete the trio. Or he could name him Aemon, for Aemon the Dragonknight or Maester Aemon, with whom Rhaegar kept a long correspondence.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, AlaskanSandman said:

All these assumptions based on around the show saying his parents are Rhaegar and Lyanna. 

Never mind that the books havn't touched any of this yet. Pretty sure this is a show thread hahaha. 

I've been reading about the R+L=J theory here long before the show began.  

On 2/15/2018 at 6:51 AM, Angel Eyes said:

Rhaegar naming him Aegon makes him look like a jerk, because he's essentially replacing his elder son Aegon with Jon. It would make more sense with naming Jon Viserys, since Rhaegar seemed to be naming his kids after Aegon the Conqueror and his sister-wives; he already had a Rhaenys and an Aegon, and a Visenya/Viserys would complete the trio. Or he could name him Aemon, for Aemon the Dragonknight or Maester Aemon, with whom Rhaegar kept a long correspondence.

I don't think Rhaegar named Jon nor was he expecting a boy. 

Lyanna also heard that Rhaegar's other children were killed so it's very plausible that Lyanna gave him the Aegon name. 

19 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I don't think Rhaegar named Jon nor was he expecting a boy. 

Lyanna also heard that Rhaegar's other children were killed so it's very plausible that Lyanna gave him the Aegon name. 

How the heck is that plausible?!

Lyanna: Promise me, Ned. Promise me that you will protect my son and will never tell Robert or anyone else the truth about him.

Ned: I promise, Lyanna. No one will ever find out he is Rhaegar Targaryen's son, and he will be safe from Robert and Tywin Lannister and everyone else.

Lyanna: One other thing: call him Aegon. I really want him to have a typical Targaryen name of five Targaryen kings and the dead eldest son of my dead husband that he had with his other wife, the son that was murdered by Tywin Lannister's men alongside his mother and sister.

Ned: :blink: Yeees, about that... (to himself: Well, she is feverish.)

Not to mention, even in this extremely unlikely scenario, that would still not count as "giving him a name".

5 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Lyanna: Promise me, Ned. Promise me that you will protect my son and will never tell Robert or anyone else the truth about him.

Ned: I promise, Lyanna. No one will ever find out he is Rhaegar Targaryen's son, and he will be safe from Robert and Tywin Lannister and everyone else.

Lyanna: One other thing: call him Aegon. I really want him to have a typical Targaryen name of five Targaryen kings and the dead eldest son of my dead husband that he had with his other wife, the son that was murdered by Tywin Lannister's men alongside his mother and sister.

Not to mention, even in this extremely unlikely scenario, that would still not count as "giving him a name".

It would be his real name but obviously, she would expect Ned to give him a different name.

5 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Excellent! :lol:

Jon's an appropriate name for him. Both Rhaegar and Ned have someone close to them named Jon. Ned probably chose the name based on that characteristic. Rhaegar's ghost wouldn't choke him out at night for picking a terrible name (like Robert or Gregor), nor would Lyanna's, and everyone will assume that this child is truly Ned's bastard, whom he named after his foster father.

His middle name, however, is still a matter of some speculation. I'm leaning towards Nihilscis.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, Lord Lannister said:

I'm of the thought that Jon didn't have a name in the books other than the one Ned gave him. I think the Aegon was just a perverted easter egg D&D threw in.

Aegon is them foreshadowing that Jon will conquer the seven kingdoms.

Archived