The Caesars Are Coming! -- Scorsese and -- O NOES!

Zorral

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/11/martin-scorsese-romans-tv-series-caesars-british-writer-michael-hirst

Have none of the people around Scorsese noticed what happened with Vikings and how the initially enthusiastic watchers have quit it in disgust?

There is no mention for what network or streaming service this pilot is being made.

I can understand Scorsese wanting to do something with this material, with his life-long fascination with Italian families of the mafia and the Church.  According to Hirst:

He [Scorsese] got on the phone to Justin Pollard, my historical adviser. They chatted, partly in Latin, about sources for the stories and Roman poetry.” 

This already shows the level of historical reality we can expect.

I'd far prefer a Merovingian or Carolingian series to doing the samey-samey Roman stuff.  And you could have Vikings too (though w/o Hirst, please!).  And Saracens and all sorts of peoples.  And real skullduggery women's roles.  And the Popes!

There is no network as yet, evidently.

So, when paired with this story from September, maybe we need not get excited:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=115516&page=1

At last, a project so big, so vast, that it needed two super-director-producers to bring it to fruition.

No, we're not talking about the Indiana Jones duo of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, but a trickier marriage of art and commerce.

Variety reports that mob chronicler Martin Scorsese and Oscared moneymaker Steven Spielberg are together at last: two director tastes that, we hope, will go well together. (But which one is the chocolate and which the peanut butter is for you to decide.)

The project is Into the Setting Sun, an all-American epic about the birth and construction of the first transcontinental railroad. Scorsese, who’s currently shooting another period epic, Gangs of New York, will helm the yet-to-be-scripted tale, while Spielberg will produce through DreamWorks.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

There is no network as yet, evidently.So, when paired with this story from September, maybe we need not get excited:

That article would be September 2000 or 2001, given that Scorsese was working on Gangs of New York and Spielberg was filming A.I.

But it's a good example of the fact that just because we hear about something doesn't mean it'll happen.

Just now, Ran said:

That article would be September 2000 or 2001, given that Scorsese was working on Gangs of New York and Spielberg was filming A.I.

But it's a good example of the fact that just because we hear about something doesn't mean it'll happen.

Thanks!  I looked and looked but failed to find a year date for it.

I quite admire Gangs of New York, of course, but it's not very historically accurate in terms of a very great deal.  But the look and feel, a great deal about the characters, do feel 'real,' even if the real city wasn't as gorgeously composed as the film's.  But Scorsese is an absolute poet of the history of New York City, which explains so much about what seems that great departure, Age of Innocence -- which I loved except for the horrible mis-casting of Winona Ryder (gads she was awful, right down to the physical type, which was so NOT the Gilded Age NYC type, and her inflections and rhythm of speaking), which was made up for as far as possible the brilliant casting of Michelle Pfeiffer and Daniel Day-Lewis.

Archived