If you could pick the great houses for each region, which would you choose?

Canon Claude

Iron Islands: House Harlaw, so that Rodrik the Reader becomes Lord of the Ironborn.

Dorne: House Manwoody, because they were loyal to Oberyn to the very end.

Westerlands: House Marbrand. I think Addam is my favourite of the Lannister bannermen. I wouldn't mind if he became lord of Casterly Rock.

Vale: House Royce, hands down. I like them far more than the Arryns, even Waymar was brave enough to take on an Other. The Royces would have joined Robb Stark, they are as honourable as anyone in the Vale, and they produce fierce fighters.

Riverlands: Tough choice. I'd normally pick the Blackwoods, but their feud with the Brackens is a serious drawback, so I think I would go with the Pipers. All three of the Pipers that we've met are good people. Marq is a bit hotheaded, but he's honourable and cares about the smallfolk like Edmure does. And he continues to fight an effective guerrilla war even when the Riverlands have been overrun.

Reach: I'd have picked Hightower if they weren't already a great house (technically). My second choice is House Oakheart, since I seem to be one of the few people who actually liked Arys Oakheart and his POV chapter.

Stormlands: Hands down House Dondarrion. Beric is one of the most interesting characters of the series, and if the rest of the Dondarrions are as good as he is, then the Stormlands would be in good hands.

North: I'll go with House Mormont. They're one of the most progressive houses in Westeros, and apart from Jorah, every single member of Mormont is awesome. If anyone could rightly take Winterfell over from the wolf of Stark, it would be the bear of Mormont.

40 minutes ago, James Steller said:

By the way, what are your choices, Claude?

North: House Glover are among the most honourable and loyal of the Stark bannermen, plus they’ve been around as long as anyone else in the North.

Vale: I’m with you on House Royce, Steller. It’s an easy choice for obvious reasons.

Dorne: House Dayne of Starfall. As long as they kill Gerold Dayne with Dawn.

Westerlands: In all honesty I would choose the Baneforts purely because of the epic story of the Hooded King.

Stormlands: House Seaworth. Let Davos put the Stormlords in their place and teach them something about loyalty and honour and looking after the smallfolk.

Riverlands: The Mallisters, hands down. They’re the badasses of the Riverlands. Jason practically threw back the Ironborn invasion by himself.

Reach: House Peake. They’re routinely crapped on in history, and yet they’re still alive and well, ruling Starpike. Yeah, they can be dicks, but so is everyone in the Reach.

Iron Islands: House Blacktyde, and I’d resurrect Baelor so he could kill Euron and take back his sable cloak. 

North:  House Glover.  I though about Manderly, but they are relative newcomers, and of the wrong religion.  The Glovers are loyal and respected.

Vale:  House Royce, like everybody else.  Easily the most powerful and respected house in the region.

Riverlands:  I like the Pipers.  They seem to have taken something of a leadership role among the River lords.

Reach:  Hightower.  Easily the most powerful.  If they are considered Great, I will go with Tarly.  Yes, Randyll is a dick, but the rest of the family seems OK, and he is a first-rate military commander.

Stormlands:  I like Brienne and the Evenstar of Tarth, so I will go with Tarth, even though they are on the verge of extinction.

Dorne:  House Dayne.  Just  because I like them.

Iron Islands:  House Harlaw.  they seem a decent sort of Ironborn.  I think the days of Reaving are over, and Harlaw is the best to take them in another direction.

Crownlands - Thorne

Riverlands - Darry

Reach - Tyrell

Dorne - Martell

Eyrie - a new house, House Mopatis

North - a new house, House Naharys 

Westerlands - a relocated house, House Drink water

Iron Islands - depends on Vic.  If he's loyal he gets to rule.

Stormlands - will be purged of every Baratheon and given to the Dothraki.

Because I am loyal to Daenerys Targaryen.

• The Reach - I'm fine with the Tyrells.  They stayed loyal to Aerys and the Targs.
  • The West - Illyrion Mopatis for his services and his hospitality to Dany and Viserys.
  • The North - Given to the White Walkers in exchange for peace.
  • The Vale - I will have to grant this to those who helped restore House Targaryen, assuming Skahaz comes along he becomes Lord Mo Kandaq, Warden of the East and Lord of the Vale.  
  • The Riverlands - Absolutely the Darry bastard will become legit and he becomes the paramount of the Riverlands.
  • The Iron Islands - The Harlaws
  • Dorne - the Yronwoods if they support my claim to the Iron Throne.
  • Stormlands - Lord Alliser Thorne becomes the new paramount.

A Writ of Attainder will be prepared to dispossess the following families:  Stark, Arryn, Tully, Baratheon, and Lannister.  Their lands and castles will be given to the above newly elevated families.  Mance Rayder will be executed.  

North: I cant imagine anyone who isn't a Stark to rule the North, and I am sure the North feels the same. House Manderly is a good candidate, they are the wealthiest House, but they follow the wrong gods and they come from the wrong region. I guess that the Karstarks would be respected because of they origin, but they are cute as they are. Houses Glover and Mormont are small and not wealthy Houses and they seem perfect as they are. I am not sure how to feel about House Dustin, and the Boltons... You know. Despite your mentioning that we can't pick any House that was Great House during the timeline, I'm going to stay loyal to House Stark untill the end. So, House Stark.

Riverlands: I love House Tully, they are fine. House Blackwood is one of my favourites and I don't want them to change. Their feud with House Brecken would harm the Riverlands, and if the Brackens kill every Blackwood, I don't want House Bracken to be Great. House Frey is wrong. Houses Darry, Piper and the rest are small. I don't know much about House Mooton, so I will pass them. Actually, House Mallister seems fine. They are noble, honourable and probably wealthy. So, my first pick is House Tully, then House Mallister.

Iron Islands: I would be fine if Asha ruled the Iron Islands, but not the rest of the Greyjoys. She can marry one of her cousins of House Harlaw and make many good children who will help to make the Iron Islands a better place. I am sure Rodrik's children took after him. The rest of the Ironborn Houses are irrelevant to me. So, I say House Harlaw.

Westerlands: Surprisingly, I am happy with House Lannister. They are welathy and powerful. Tywin made sure that his House has no rivals. So, I again pick the the ruling House, House Lannister.

Vale: We have not met many Arryns (and if Robert is a bastard, we met none.) I'll see in TWOW how I'll feel abouth the Vale. I am a fan of Houses Waynwood and Royce, with latter being my favourite Vale House. So, House Royce (but if Harry and Sansa get happily married and have kids, I am surely still for House Arryn).

Reach: There are so many Houses and I don't know how to feel about them all. I will pick the wealthiest (apart from the Tyrells), one of the oldest and powerful House Hightower.

Stormlands: House Baratheon will die out, and I'm fine with it. I love the Marcher Houses, but I feel they aren't strong and wealthy enough (maybe House Swann.) If Dany and Aegon join their forces, I can see House Connington being the Great House and I have nothing against it. I like Jon and feel his House would do fine. So, House Connington.

Dorne: House Yronwood would be the most logical answer. They are the wealthiest and ancient, but I know nothing about them. I also don't know much about House Dayne of Starfall, but they are my favourite. Probably the oldest House in the Westeros. They have fine knights and beautiful ladies. Surely, they can control whole Dorne. So, House Dayne.

1. Dorne (Daynes):  They keep to themselves and don't start wars.  I like the sand snakes though, maybe one could marry into the Daynes.
  2. Reach (Tyrells):  They do a good job and they fought against Robert and his rebellion.
  3. Stormlands:  Should be annexed and become property of House Targaryen under Empress Daenerys.
  4. Crownlands:  Belong to the ruling monarch and a loyal steward should be designated for this and the Stormlands.  
  5. Iron Islands (Farwynds):  Gylbert is an interesting dude and he doesn't seem to stir up trouble like the Greyjoys do.
  6. Vale (Naharis):  Lord Daario Naharis and the new governor and warden of the east, dispossess Robyn Arryn.
  7. West (Mormont):  Lord Jorah Mormont, the new warden of the west.
  8. North (Bolton):  He removed the two-time rebels from power, he believes in a quiet land, he's capable.  Warden of the north.
  9. Riverlands (Goodbrook):  Restore the Goodbrooks to power, dispossess all of the remaining Tullys, take back Riverun from the Freys and give it to the Goodbrooks for keeping faith with House Targaryen during Robert's rebellion.

Iron Islands: House Harlaw - as for now, Rodrik the Reader is one of the most intelligent characters from Iron Islands.

Dorne: House Yronwood - they took part in three of Blackfyre Rebellions and are still powerful and wealthy.

Riverlands: House Bracken - I really like them even though our author really favors those Blackwoods.

Vale: House Royce - Bronze Yohn is badass and has cool armor (even if it doesn't work)

Westerlands: House Farman - they have nice island and cool ships so why not?

North: House Umber - they are ancient house and Greatjon is very loyal even though he is proud and boisterous.

Stormlands: House Tarth - if Selwyn is at least half as honorable and good person as his daughter, he would make great Lord Paramount.

Reach: House Redwyne - not surprisingly i chose best house of entire Westeros to rule Reach, I also heard that Lord Redwyne is very intelligent person.

North. House Bolton. They were the last to surrender and join Stark, they command respect, they have a history of being fierce as warriors (we don't know any other House -beside the Greyjoys in the saga- that managed to take and burn the ancient Stark castle... 3 times). They have a history of royalty (Red Kings). The Dreadfort is nicely layed not far from the center of the North. So it's good as a regional capital.

I would have named the Umbers, but they are just too far North.

Iron Islands. Even though I like Harlaw, they have too many branches which can in turn dispute the lordship over the Islands. Gonna stay with House Drumm, they seem well centered.

Westerlands. Lannister bannermen just seem to opaque to me to name a ruling House. Don't think they were drawn enough for one of them to stand above the others, so I'm going to go blank here.

Dorne. Pretty logical to me here. Yronwoods. They need to fill those gazillion titles with real dominion over the lands.

Riverlands. Kinda difficult. I'd separate this region and settle the other adjacent regions to have a portion of it, to govern them and establish a neuralgic point of commerce and agriculture between all people living there, but no more as an independent region.

Stormlands. Happens something as in the Westerlands. The stormlords seems to me too opaque. I'd pick the Tarths, but I can't trust an island when all the rest of the territory is inland. When you got no planes to travel through.

The Vale. Easier here to pick one. Of course, the one and only House Borrell!!!!111 Long live the sistermen!!!11 Back to being kings as in times of old!!

If I couldn’t keep any of the present or recently ruling houses I’d choose.. 

The Vale of Arryn: House Waynwood as they seem like really decent people. 

The Stormlands: House Mertyns because Lady Mary seems pretty funny and we’ve not been introduced to many Stormlander houses in detail.

The Iron Isles: House Harlaw. Lord Rodrik and Ser Harras are just the right people to lead the transition away from reaving. 

The Westerlands: Like the Stormlands we’re not really introduced to many Westerlander Houses. I’ll go with House Westerling as the Westerling kids all seem nice.

Dorne: House Dayne for obvious reasons. Everyone loves the Daynes.

The North: House Manderly. Wyman and his granddaughters are awesome.

The Crownlands: House Stokeworth. I always found the Stokeworths oddly entertaining and I’d love to see Lollys sit the Iron Throne. 

The Riverlands: House Blackwood. I love the sigil and their loyalty.

The Reach: House Florent. They are the rightful rulers after all.

Per OP, can't use current or past great houses so here we go:

The North: House Dustin - I know it's an odd pick but the Bolton's are disqualified as they are the current great house.  Manderly's seem to be the next obvious choice but I think they wouldn't be perceived as properly Northern by the other houses.  Dustin is old, has a history of kingship, wealth and population of Barrowton behind them for power.  

The Vale:  House Royce - old, respected, powerful and wealthy - what else do you need?  

Iron Islands:  House Harlaw - one of the more powerful houses (weathiest lands, highest population) and lots of history as kings an leaders.  Second choice would be House Farwyn of Lonely Light;  if they're right, they can help us see what's west of Westeros and show us some maritime warging.  If they're wrong, they could lead the ironborn on a wild goose chase an rid us of the Westeros' least productive citizens.

The Riverlands:  House Mallister - no major enemies (that's what rules out Blackwood/Bracken), one of the militarily stronger houses with a good revenue source in Seagard

The Westerlands - as others have said, we just don't know much about their bannermen.  I'll go with Crakehall, they're a strong house

Stormlands - ?  Honestly can't say, all we know about Stormland houses is a stand-out member from some of the bigger houses. Can't make a decision on this based on Beric, Brienne, or Barristan.....

The Reach - House Hightower - wealthiest, has the most troops, it's the obvious choice

Dorne:  House Yronwood - like Royces in the Vale, this is clear.  They were the most powerful house of Dorne until the Rhoynar/Martell alliance and have been the second house ever since.  

On 2/13/2018 at 10:16 AM, Widowmaker 811 said:
  1. Dorne (Daynes):  They keep to themselves and don't start wars.  I like the sand snakes though, maybe one could marry into the Daynes.
  2. Reach (Tyrells):  They do a good job and they fought against Robert and his rebellion.
  3. Stormlands:  Should be annexed and become property of House Targaryen under Empress Daenerys.
  4. Crownlands:  Belong to the ruling monarch and a loyal steward should be designated for this and the Stormlands.  
  5. Iron Islands (Farwynds):  Gylbert is an interesting dude and he doesn't seem to stir up trouble like the Greyjoys do.
  6. Vale (Naharis):  Lord Daario Naharis and the new governor and warden of the east, dispossess Robyn Arryn.
  7. West (Mormont):  Lord Jorah Mormont, the new warden of the west.
  8. North (Bolton):  He removed the two-time rebels from power, he believes in a quiet land, he's capable.  Warden of the north.
  9. Riverlands (Goodbrook):  Restore the Goodbrooks to power, dispossess all of the remaining Tullys, take back Riverun from the Freys and give it to the Goodbrooks for keeping faith with House Targaryen during Robert's rebellion.

I have a chance to think this over.  I am now of the opinion that we should do away with Great Houses and level every noble house to make them equal.  All will be answerable to the monarch and swear loyalty to the monarch directly.

Archived