Who will tell Daenerys the Truth, and more importantly, what effect will it have?

Pride of Driftmark

On 2/13/2018 at 7:04 PM, zandru said:

In retrospect, it sure seems that rising up to overthrow the legitimate (although paranoid and delusional) king, when there was a perfectly excellent, well-loved heir available and trying to ease his father into retiring, was a suboptimal decision. In a sane world, the great lords and prince would have put their heads together and found a way to advance Rhaegar to the Iron Throne, and maybe give Aerys a nice, quiet retirement somewhere, like Dorne.

Of course, this sensible solution was precluded by Robert Baratheon's cock.

Look deeper and that is really one of the big problems in Westeros.  Everybody has a reason for wanting to do something but they fail to look at the cost.  It is understandable why Jon Arryn would want to protect two boys but when you put that up against the number of people killed by the rebellion, no, it was a shitty decision.  The nobles use the lives of the poor folk, the small folk, as their currency in warfare.  The first obligation of a person in a governing position is to protect the governed, the small folk, not to protect the lives of two men whose families were most likely guilty of conspiring against their king.  To add insult to this grievous error, Robert and Jon Arryn bankrupted the realm.  They drove the realm to ruin in a way that the Targaryens never did.  All the battles and the wars fought over the 300 years of Targaryen rule never brought the kingdom down to its knees the way Robert's reign, Jon Arryn's tenure has hand, Ned's tenure as hand, and the war of the five dingbats.  Jon Arryn's decision to rebel actually hurt the kingdom in the long run, indirectly led to the downfall of his house and the Starks.  Perhaps deservedly so. 

On 2018-02-17 at 2:58 AM, Moiraine Sedai said:

:)

Yeah, well, this forum sometimes encourages some of us, like this one, to stereotype.  Reading the forums while about life's business means you make quick assumptions.  But oh please don't take that for an apology. -_-

Thanks for keeping it civil. I respect your opinion. I dont however base my opinion on stereotypes.

On February 19, 2018 at 3:29 AM, Hodor the Articulate said:

I agree that Dany is merciless to her enemies when she is fueled by compassion, as was the case with the wineseller's daughters. I say it was uncharacteristic though, because torturing the daughters while the father looks on was Shavepate's idea. She wasn't even thinking about questioning anyone "sharply" until prompted by the Shavepate. Her original idea was just to question the wineseller and the daughters separately, and to investigate whatever names they bring up.

Yes, see doing pretty disgusting, barbaric things isn't totally typical of Daenarys; she mostly acts pretty upstanding; but when she does she doesn't really think about the actual consequences of it afterwards. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 2:03 PM, Pride of Driftmark said:

Yep. Stannis would have killed them. House Targaryen and the Lords of Westeros were at war, and that war is now over. The whole story is about how we can't blame one specific person for any specific event. You could make an argument that it was Aegon the Conqueror who caused the rebellion by bringing House Targaryen to Westeros in the first place. You could argue it was Jon Arryn who started it, by rising in rebellion. You could argue it was Maester Walys who started the Rebellion by trying to get Rickard to ally with the Tullys. The whole point of this story is "bad stuff happens and it happened regardless of whose fault it was". Stannis would have killed Viserys and Daenerys no question, and now Daenerys will want her vengeance. I am just curious as to whether or not she will change her position or rethink aggravating the cycle of vengeance when she learns the whole truth about the War. 

Mercy to Shireen, if she bends her knees and puts her nose to the ground without resistance.  The same goes for the Stark children and Edmure Tully and Sweet Robin.  Stannis has to die because we have already determined, and you agreed, that he would never have shown Viserys and Daenerys any mercy.  Jaime has to die or sent to the wall because he can never be trusted in the KG.

Archived