Exercise and Fitness: Keep On Keepin' On

Xray the Enforcer

The real question is wtf you did beneath that thing to begin with ;)

I had like 3 months of almost no running and it feels like I'm made of cinder blocks when I finally get out to run. I mean, fuck me, but the body is one quickly deteriorating bastard.

Tomorrow is the marathon day in Belgrade! This will be the first time since 2010 that I won't be running the half-marathon race. :( 

Plan is to ride a bike to my crossfit box, get the workout done and then ride the bike back home through the streets that are free from cars, buses etc. I might even see some of my runner friends who'll take part in the race.

It will be my first bike ride since last summer. Or maybe even the summer before that. Note to self, need to get on the bike more often.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Good call.  I do that at home with a hard massage ball against the wall.  I look like a bear trying to scratch its back but it works. 

Do it on the floor instead. Grab a yoga mat or something that’s equivalent and slowly massage the muscle.

5 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I'll try. Looks like I have damaged my right knee and left ankle in the same incident. Time to become bench press king. (I fucking hate bench pressing)

Didn’t you mess up your leg like a year or so ago?

Also, why do you hate the bench so much?  

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do it on the floor instead. Grab a yoga mat or something that’s equivalent and slowly massage the muscle.

Didn’t you mess up your leg like a year or so ago?

Also, why do you hate the bench so much?  

Yeah tore my hamstring dead lifting last August ish. Welcome to strength sports I guess.

Just don't enjoy the exercise, puts a lot of strain on shoulder and lots of better exercises out there for upper body. 

On ‎04‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:03 AM, lessthanluke said:

Tore my freaking adductor on Saturday so will be out for a while. Video on my instagram of me almost getting squished by a 400lb atlas stone for those interested hah.

Damn, was hoping it wasn't a tear - that sucks man, hope you recover quickly.  Lots of folks were impressed as all get out with the video of Rhi's 484 pulls.

Tore my biceps a month ago - very slight tear but it was enough to take me out.  I was progressing towards the next phase from the Crossfit Open and that got stopped cold.  It's almost healed back up, thankfully I've been able to workout around it for a bit.

Ran my first half marathon of the year today. Don't think I'm any fitter than I was end of last year, but I paced myself very well. Ran very consistently timed kms over the first half, then sped up a little as the course allowed over the final 10km.

Came in at 1:38:23, a full minute faster than my previous pb. Hopefully that'll drop some more over the year as I really increase the kms towards the full marathon.

On 21/04/2018 at 10:22 PM, Greywolf2375 said:

Damn, was hoping it wasn't a tear - that sucks man, hope you recover quickly.  Lots of folks were impressed as all get out with the video of Rhi's 484 pulls.

Tore my biceps a month ago - very slight tear but it was enough to take me out.  I was progressing towards the next phase from the Crossfit Open and that got stopped cold.  It's almost healed back up, thankfully I've been able to workout around it for a bit.

Yeah me too. Looks like I've got some ligament damage to both knees too which is the more worrying part. Waiting for MRI results.

She's a complete freak man, going to go over 500lbs this year for sure.

How'd you do it? The safety squat bar is a godsend with bicep injuries.

I was wondering if anyone knew much about bicycles / cycling.

I train at the gym five times a week, but it's bodybuilding-style training, so I weight train every night. I actually never do cardio, but was thinking of buying a bike to take out on the roads. I wouldn't be buying it to do long distance cycling, though. My idea was to buy a bike to do high intensity sprints. The roads around where I live are quite hilly, so I was thinking of getting a bike to do sets of hill sprints in the evenings that I don't go to the gym after work.

My question is: which type of bike would be best? I assume it would be a racing bike, as I'm wanting something to sprint with, but I wondered if the addition of hills would effect the choice of bike. I've never had one before, so I wouldn't want to go out on a limb and buy the wrong type of bike.

I guess that if I was to buy a bike and started to enjoy using it for short distance, high intensity sprinting, I might be tempted to go longer distances, which would suggest a racing bike would be the best bet.

You want a road (aka racing) bike. Depending on your budget, get a steel frame or an aluminium frame. Don't bother with titanium or carbon fibre -- that's way more frame than what your purposes require. Since you're going to be doing a lot of hills, it will be worth buying a decent groupset (i.e. the gears) -- definitely don't skimp there. Opt for Shimano Ultregra or Dura-Ace, or the equivalent Campagniolo or other manufacturer. (Shimano tends to be more affordable and is what I used when I had a road bike. I've had two different aluminium-frame bikes -- one from Cannondale, and another from a small German manufacturer whose name I cannot remember. I like the stiffness of Al frames, although you'll feel every goddamn pebble in the road on one of those.) 

I'd be less concerned with the number of gears -- what's important is the fluidity of the shift when you're cranking hard up a hill. The smoothness of the transition between gears under those conditions is what sets apart the shitty builds from the quality. Honestly, I wouldn't go any cheaper than Shimano Ultregra or the comparable groupset from another manufacturer (e.g. Campagniolo). Bad gears make bike riding tedious AF. 

Lightweight alloy is fine -- frame materials are very much down to personal preference and isn't as big of a factor in the overall ride experience as your groupset. If you are not made of money, spend to get a good groupset and economise on the frame. (If you ever decide to upgrade your bike frame, you can always just put your kick-ass groupset on your new frame -- I know a lot of people who have done that.)

Good luck and happy bike shopping!

lessthanluke and Isk, I hope you guys have speedy recoveries.

Apparently building a retaining wall involves a lot of squats, 'cause the backs of my thighs were really sore on Monday. (It's a very low wall, and most of the time was working on leveling the base row)

Today I sucked it up though and did a good warm-up on the rowing machine. (yes, that's all I did, but it is better than hitting the snooze button a few more times...building this habit is a process. It was so much easier when I wasn't working, had the time to enjoy the workout, could do so much more. Right now I just want to be able to do anything for 30 minutes straight ;) )

I'm also making strides to clean up my diet some. Really, most the food I eat isn't too horrible, it's my drinks (Coke, I have a problem :P ).  But I gave it up for 9 months before, and I can do it again. (ok, only on day 4 right now). I just have to remind myself that if I'm not happy with the depression, weight gain, moodiness all getting worse post-menopause, then I need to fight back, and exercise and food are great weapons. (I've had whole weeks where I have not interacted with a single person outside of work or home, and those interactions were minimal)

I felt so good this morning.  I just need to remember that feeling when the alarm goes off at 5 am. ;)

On ‎04‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:10 AM, lessthanluke said:

Yeah me too. Looks like I've got some ligament damage to both knees too which is the more worrying part. Waiting for MRI results.

She's a complete freak man, going to go over 500lbs this year for sure.

How'd you do it? The safety squat bar is a godsend with bicep injuries.

Jesus, she's already 19lbs over mine...I want to hit 500 before her!

I was doing ring muscle ups - protecting my left arm over overstressed my right and tore some fibers.  Got lucky there was no tendon issue - mostly all healed up already, going to be starting up gymnasty stuff soon.

17 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

(Coke, I have a problem :P ).  But I gave it up for 9 months before, and I can do it again. (ok, only on day 4 right now).

It’s good to hear that you’re getting over your raging Coke problem. It can really blow up in your face.  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s good to hear that you’re getting over your raging Coke problem. It can really blow up in your face.  

:lol: I always phrase it that way to people I know, who know my poison of choice. But man, that double addiction of caffeine and sugar is a real bear to break

2 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

:lol: I always phrase it that way to people I know, who know my poison of choice. But man, that double addiction of caffeine and sugar is a real bear to break

Lol, funny you mentioned that. Take this with a grain of salt, but I once heard a professor read from the internet that sugar is one of the most addictive drugs (and yes, it technically is one) and that caffeine is more dangerous than the white lady if it was crushed up and snorted. Granted, this is reading from the internet, but it was done by a professor which makes it a smig more reliable. 

Archived