Exercise and Fitness: Keep On Keepin' On

Xray the Enforcer

100 grams takes dedication to protein intake? I feel like that's a bit of an exaggeration. 

But yeah you don't need to consume THAT much protein. 150g is plenty for the average joe.

I need to ask what you guys are eating on a daily basis to struggle hitting that many g's of protein.

When you consider that an average scoop of protein power is between 20-25g of protein, you can get around a quarter of 100g of protein from one scoop alone. Two scoops and you're nearly half way to hitting 100g, and that's without even considering what you have eaten that day.

I don't count how many grams of protein I eat per day, but I certainly don't consume a gram per pound I weigh, and I still feel I am able to progress in the gym in terms of strength and muscle gains

2 hours ago, Jordan La Cabra said:

When you consider that an average scoop of protein power is between 20-25g of protein, you can get around a quarter of 100g of protein from one scoop alone. Two scoops and you're nearly half way to hitting 100g, and that's without even considering what you have eaten that day.

I don't count how many grams of protein I eat per day, but I certainly don't consume a gram per pound I weigh, and I still feel I am able to progress in the gym in terms of strength and muscle gains

Yeah I only have around 200g some days(normally higher) weighing 260lb and I am an international level strength athlete so the whole you need X amount of protein or you won't progress spiel is way overblown. 

2 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

100 grams takes dedication to protein intake? I feel like that's a bit of an exaggeration. 

My whey protein shakes deliver 25g of protein (two scoops).  I have one shake each with breakfast and lunch, and add some collagen protein too at breakfast (another 5g), but no specific food protein with those, just a small amount from some fruit and vegetables.  Then I eat a large dinner with meat protein.  I snack on almonds during the day, which adds some more.

If I eat any food protein at breakfast or lunch, e.g. eggs or veggie burger* or a restaurant lunch, then I exclude the protein shake. 

I use protein shakes to maintain protein intake throughout the day, but I don’t want to eat meat multiple times a day because of long term health considerations.

I don’t know if it’s accurate but I read somewhere that the liver can only process 30g of protein per meal before the remainder gets converted to carbs.  So I’d need to switch to 4-5 meals to get a lot more protein.  I did that in my twenties but these days I’m trying to avoid weight gain. 

Before I introduced the protein shakes three years ago, I was probably getting just 50-60g of protein per day for most of my life.  And I was a big eater, just getting too many calories from carbs.

*We recently discovered Beyond The Burger.  Highly recommended. 

15 hours ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

I think that was debunked as bro science. 

That’s kind of what I expected. I kept hearing that when I was in HS and college when I was an athlete, and back then it was easy to keep up with it, but man I am just not that hungry there days. On a good day I can get 140gs in.

2 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I need to ask what you guys are eating on a daily basis to struggle hitting that many g's of protein.

On an average weekday (weekends are less consistent):

Breakfast: Protein smoothie that consists of a banana, handful of spinach, tiny amount of peanut butter, a serving of non-fat plain Greek yogurt, a scoop of chocolate protein powder and then I fill it up with the lowest calorie almond milk.

Mid-morning snack: Some random fruit, normal cantaloupe.

Lunch: Turkey sandwich which is a slice of wheat bread, a slice of cheese, a little bit of mustard and as much turkey as I can fit in it with a low sodium V8 and some broccoli and carrots with a bit of ranch dressing.

Mid-afternoon/pre-workout snack: An apple with lime juice.

Post-workout: One and half scoops of protein powder: 30gs.

Dinner: Either steak, salmon or chicken fajitas.

2 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Okay it makes sense now with just low cal diets in general! I forget not everyone eats like I do sometimes.

I get close to 100g of protein for breakfast.

Yeah, when I was an active athlete it was like 3 protein shacks and 4 chicken breasts a day served in different ways. And then some Taco Bell after getting blasted at some dive rock & roll hall.

17 minutes ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

I don’t know if it’s accurate but I read somewhere that the liver can only process 30g of protein per meal before the remainder gets converted to carbs.  So I’d need to switch to 4-5 meals to get a lot more protein.  I did that in my twenties but these days I’m trying to avoid weight gain. 

That's been debunked for a while.  Protein will be used as long as it has use and it's not needed as an energy main source.  It's not the # of grams, but your entire diet as a whole that determines protein and fat conversion to glucose.

35 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

So what carbs are you eating? Most carb sources also contain protein. E.g 100g of pasta will have like 10-15g of protein and that's not a large amount of pasta.

Limited carbs these days.  Mostly fruit and vegetables, which are mostly low in protein (other than beans and pulses).  I still have pasta for dinner a couple of times per week. Pasta survived where rice, potatoes and bread lost out because it has more protein and a lower glycemic index (and pasta dishes are delicious). 

Breakfast includes a high fiber cereal or muesli, but the added protein is minor.  I included all of those in my estimate of ~100g of protein per day. 

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

Limited carbs these days.  Mostly fruit and vegetables, which are mostly low in protein (other than beans and pulses).  I still have pasta for dinner a couple of times per week. Pasta survived where rice, potatoes and bread lost out because it has more protein and a lower glycemic index (and pasta dishes are delicious). 

Breakfast includes a high fiber cereal or muesli, but the added protein is minor.  I included all of those in my estimate of ~100g of protein per day. 

Gotcha. Was just curious :)

22 minutes ago, aceluby said:

That's been debunked for a while.  Protein will be used as long as it has use and it's not needed as an energy main source.  It's not the # of grams, but your entire diet as a whole that determines protein and fat conversion to glucose.

Thanks.  Can you point me to further reading on this?

I currently try to distribute my protein intake relatively evenly throughout the day (more in the evening to last through the night) so that I’m supplying nitrogen for muscle anabolism pretty much all the time. 

I just looked at my food tracking app and last week I averaged 278 g carbs, 103 g fats, and 70 g protein. The week before was 280 g carbs, 126 g fats, and 97 g protein. So yeah without dedicated effort I don't just casually reach 100 g of protein. (My only thing I'm targeting right now is total calories.)

In general I go about 160-170g protein, 150g carbs, and 45g fats. But I'm on a fairly restrictive diet. In general the goal is 1:1 protein and carbs for me, largely fruit and veggies. 

4 hours ago, كالدب said:

So it's damaging to people who already have kidney issues not to the general population as your first statement implied. Second link doesn't work for me I'll try again later. 

Just now, lessthanluke said:

So it's damaging to people who already have kidney issues not to the general population as your first statement implied. Second link doesn't work for me I'll try again later. 

Yeah, that's fair, though a number of docs are worried about the long-term effects of high-protein diets on people who might be susceptible to kidney issues. And even then we're probably talking about 50-60% of calories being protein. 

1 hour ago, كالدب said:

Yeah, that's fair, though a number of docs are worried about the long-term effects of high-protein diets on people who might be susceptible to kidney issues. And even then we're probably talking about 50-60% of calories being protein. 

Is it possible that this is just a side effect of, well, the 80's? My understanding is Bruce Lee was the one who popularized protein shakes, and by protein shakes I mean throwing meat in a blender and drinking it. That can't be good for you. 

Archived