Exercise and Fitness: Keep On Keepin' On

Xray the Enforcer

3 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I feel like I gained a bit of weight on vacation ;) I'm not worried about it, just one of those things to watch out for because I know that for me it's a slippery slope.  My Dad's side of the family is filled with obesity and all the problems associated with it.  Do. Not. Want. 

I always gain weight on vacation.  Too much restaurant food and then water retention from salt, heat/humidity and low cabin pressure on airplanes.  You’ll return to normal within a week. 

It’s really hard to re-set downward your body’s level for “normal” weight.  But once you do, you tend to stay close to that level whenever you are maintaining your normal diet and exercise. 

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

I feel like I gained a bit of weight on vacation ;) I'm not worried about it, just one of those things to watch out for because I know that for me it's a slippery slope.  My Dad's side of the family is filled with obesity and all the problems associated with it.  Do. Not. Want. 

I get that, I just think the number can be misleading. I dated a woman who was 5'2 and weight 140 lbs, yet her figure was similar to Kate Mara's. As long as you feel good and like the way you look, you're good.

I actually got really lucky in the genetics lottery (outside of height, being 5'8). My Dad's side all look like marathon runners and my Mom's side all look like linebackers. So I got a lean, muscular build. There is a down side to this though (sort of). I didn't work out for a year in college, but I still had a 6 pack and looked like I was a gym rat. When I finally went back to the gym, there was a great shame in going from being able to easily rep 4x12 at 225 on the bench to barely being able to do 3x8 at 135. People were constantly telling me I needed to put more weight on. :tantrum:

We're moving a bit away from strength training to a bit more of conditioning training and I quite like it. Last couple of workouts have hit that sweet spot of being challenging enough but I can do them without needing a break.

On a side note, I have some training-induces wardrobe issues. I usually wear cargo pants and hoodies, which are a bit more loose and comfortable. This morning I took out some trousers and shirts I could wear at my brother-in-law's wedding this weekend (I don't do suits and ties) and I couldn't find a single shirt in my closet that wasn't tight around my chest nor any trousers that weren't tight around my thighs. It seems I'll need to do a bit of shopping over the next couple of days and I hate shopping, especially for clothes that I'm not likely to wear often.

Back at it over the weekend and felt really good during my workouts.  Also got a few extra workouts in with the 2 feet of snow I had to deal with, but I think all that sweating has left me dehydrated.  I easily drank 200 ounces of fluids, but I was still getting leg cramps at night.  My body is exhausted, so today is a well needed rest day.  

Recovering from some kind of MCL sprain that happened about three weeks ago.  Pretty bummed because I missed out on some awesome back country spring skiing conditions this year.  Knee is stable but hurts if it starts bending inward. 

Been RICEing it, took the first ten days easy, then started some hiking and walking.  Been wearing a brace at work.

Walking and hikings been fine, but went for a 5k jog the other day and it swelled up huge again, although back couple days of RICEing and it feels better   Can't afford to get it checked out.  Going to take it easy for another 6 weeks before I try running or climbing.  Even when I start climbing I'm in to go easy it and not try any torquey knee stuff.

Being injured sucks, but really don't want to fuck it up anymore.  I'm 35 next week and know that knees don't last forever. 

29 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Recovering from some kind of MCL sprain that happened about three weeks ago.  

Sorry to hear it.  You probably tried running too soon, and perhaps hiking too soon too.  I remember being told the MCL needs six weeks of rest and then return very gently to see how much it can bear.  You don’t want to get into an open-ended situation where it never fully recovers.  

When I had an MCL strain, I limited myself to necessary walking only for the six weeks (no hiking), plenty of RICE, and then started back with the knee flexibility exercises and some light running.  It never bothered me again. 

Best of luck. 

5 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Sorry to hear it.  You probably tried running too soon, and perhaps hiking too soon too.  I remember being told the MCL needs six weeks of rest and then return very gently to see how much it can bear.  You don’t want to get into an open-ended situation where it never fully recovers.  

When I had an MCL strain, I limited myself to necessary walking only for the six weeks (no hiking), plenty of RICE, and then started back with the knee flexibility exercises and some light running.  It never bothered me again. 

Best of luck. 

Thanks for the feedback, i think you're right.  That is actually encouraging and I'll be emphasizing the rest component.

Saturday was shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.  Despite feeling sluggish and having a minor strain in my back, no doubt from no warm-up before table tennis, I was back to PB levels and added sets.  I moved slightly slowly to make sure the back strain didn’t flare up, but I still got 75 pull-ups across six sets.  That felt great after a slightly off day a week earlier. 

Sunday was legs day and went really well.  Still maintaining my new PB level and added an extra heaviest set of squats, and dropped slightly deeper on squats throughout. 

Today will be all about sore legs. 

@aceluby 

Had to convert 200 ounces to civilized measures first ;), but that sounds like  way too much to drink to me. I mean, that's 2 days worth of fluids. I'm no expert, but I'd say that dehydration is probably not on top of the list of possible reasons for leg cramps and you should look elsewhere.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

@aceluby 

Had to convert 200 ounces to civilized measures first ;), but that sounds like  way too much to drink to me. I mean, that's 2 days worth of fluids. I'm no expert, but I'd say that dehydration is probably not on top of the list of possible reasons for leg cramps and you should look elsewhere.

Yeah, it's more than I usually drink in a day, which is why it was so weird.  I do feel slightly dehydrated on top of it (dry skin, dry mouth, thirsty...), which is why I figured it was just dehydration.  I'll keep an eye on it for the next week and if it doesn't improve, I'll get a dr appt.

24 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Yeah, it's more than I usually drink in a day, which is why it was so weird.  I do feel slightly dehydrated on top of it (dry skin, dry mouth, thirsty...), which is why I figured it was just dehydration.  I'll keep an eye on it for the next week and if it doesn't improve, I'll get a dr appt.

How much alcohol did you have?

On the back thing - aside from exercises, things that helped me tremendously was simply getting up and walking around every hour. My back no longer gets that feeling of cramp/pain from long sits any more. I went from near constant pain in the back and occasional lumbar swelling to essentially nothing.

I'm back to counting calories at least for a little bit. It sucks but I've gained over 6 pounds in like 2 weeks and can't seem to get my snacking/junk food cravings under control. Hopefully it will only take a few weeks for me to get back into the groove of eating reasonably. Still making somewhat regular time to workout, although my approach is scattershot at best. I'm not really trying for any particular gains or progress, just general fitness, so I think it's okay. It snowed today so my outdoor runs are still limited and I am really missing them.

15 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Tore my freaking adductor on Saturday so will be out for a while. Video on my instagram of me almost getting squished by a 400lb atlas stone for those interested hah.

Oof, sorry to hear. Good luck with recovery!

10 hours ago, aceluby said:

Back at it over the weekend and felt really good during my workouts.  Also got a few extra workouts in with the 2 feet of snow I had to deal with, but I think all that sweating has left me dehydrated.  I easily drank 200 ounces of fluids, but I was still getting leg cramps at night.  My body is exhausted, so today is a well needed rest day.  

200 is a crazy amount of water. For cramps, I would suspect that you need electrolytes and maybe some specific nutrients (I want to say potassium off the top of my head?). When I was getting dizzy spells a couple months ago it was partly dehydration but I also had to drink some extra electrolytes before it got better.

13 hours ago, Starkess said:

200 is a crazy amount of water. For cramps, I would suspect that you need electrolytes and maybe some specific nutrients (I want to say potassium off the top of my head?). When I was getting dizzy spells a couple months ago it was partly dehydration but I also had to drink some extra electrolytes before it got better.

Not just water.  Only about 100 oz were water.  Some kombucha was mixed in there, some sparkling water, as well as a homemade gatorade drink of 10oz of apple cider, 20 oz of water, Himalayan sea salt, cinnamon, and a Tbsp of apple cider vinegar.  Drank two of those.

Though I think you might be right on the potassium side of things.  Might add in a banana a day to see if that helps w/ the cramping.

So frustrating!  As I was walking to work on this sub-freezing Monday morning, a muscle in my back (around the right shoulder blade) tightened and locked up.  Now it has stayed tight and sore all week, even with plenty of heat, ibuprofen, rest and even a massage last night.  In fact, it’s tighter and sorer today than before. 

So no workout this midweek and probably nothing at the weekend either.  With lots of work travel next week, I doubt I’ll be back until the following weekend.  So frustrating!

I’m pretty sure the source of the problem is the new posture brace I wore for the first time on Sunday.  Of course I ignored the direction to start at only 15 minutes per day and build up slowly.  I didn’t feel any strain as I wore it, so I kept it on for a few hours.  Such warnings are only for litigious hunchbacked weaklings. 

I just drowned my frustration in chocolate cake.  When I fall off the wagon, I go tumbling and sprawling. 

On 4/16/2018 at 3:03 AM, lessthanluke said:

Tore my freaking adductor on Saturday so will be out for a while. Video on my instagram of me almost getting squished by a 400lb atlas stone for those interested hah.

Damn, sorry to hear that man. Get well soon.

47 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

So frustrating!  As I was walking to work on this sub-freezing Monday morning, a muscle in my back (around the right shoulder blade) tightened and locked up.  Now it has stayed tight and sore all week, even with plenty of heat, ibuprofen, rest and even a massage last night.  In fact, it’s tighter and sorer today than before. 

Try massaging it at home with a tennis ball, and if need be, a golf ball. I've done that before with a similar injury and it works pretty well (the golf ball will hurt like hell though).

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Try massaging it at home with a tennis ball, and if need be, a golf ball. I've done that before with a similar injury and it works pretty well (the golf ball will hurt like hell though).

Good call.  I do that at home with a hard massage ball against the wall.  I look like a bear trying to scratch its back but it works. 

Archived