Songs

redcandle17

• 3 weeks later...

I've wondered if there are family songs - we have the different family words, but are there traditional songs that the families have for different occassions. Since we've seen plenty of weddings, funerals, etc I don't remember mention of them but it would be interesting to see (if they do exist) what they are.

• 1 month later...
I've wondered if there are family songs - we have the different family words, but are there traditional songs that the families have for different occassions. Since we've seen plenty of weddings, funerals, etc I don't remember mention of them but it would be interesting to see (if they do exist) what they are.

Well they have songs for their heros as Tyrion mentions somewhere that there are almost as many songs about Bran the Builder as there are about Lann the Clever.

• 1 month later...

I am quite enamoured with this idea, actually.

Early music is a hobby of mine. I know exactly how the songs of Westeros should sound, in fact I have played around with setting some of them to music. (By taking a melody from Real Life from the right period, like a 16th century ballad, that happens to "fit" metrically with minor changes.) The only problem is that we don't have many complete songs.

But it would be a real possibility to have, in the world book, some of the Songs of Westeros in a more complete form. If Mr. Martin has some more verses lying in his cupboard, that would be trivial. Otherwise he or somebody else would need to patch up The Bear and the Maiden Fair or Gentle Mother. Then I (or anybody else half-way informed about early music) can "mix and match" a convincing melody for it. Typeset it in faux medieval notation and presto: instant nerdgasm. Ancient sheet music looks great, and people who are interested could even perform it.

Such things could either be spread though the book (Gentle Mother would fit in a section on The Faith) or in a section about Westerosi culture with some background on bardic traditions.

I can help. But, to be honest, so could most early music geeks.

EDIT TO ADD: Just so that Ran can get an impression of what I'm thinking about: set The Bear... to something like Henry VIII's famous Pasttyme with Good Company. Actually, you can almost sing along as it is.

Or, for eye candy, imagine Gentle Mother set, in the World Book, like this. Of course, you'd need an artist if you want the illuminations. But it's doable.

• 1 month later...

I would like to know more about Jenny and the prince of Dragonflies. Wasn't that a song sung by Tom O'Seven for the ghost / little woman?

But I think we will not get it. It has to much to do with what happened at Summerhal and that itself has again to much to do with the coming fight against the others.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would personally like to know the lyrics to some of the other songs, but having them printed in the book, especially around other important information, is annoying. I think it would be cool if GRRM published a book of songs from ASoIaF as well as some of the legends.

• 7 months later...

Archived