Football: CL is back

Mark Antony

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Ronaldo really needs to stop taking free-kicks. He used to be lethal once upon a time but for a long while now his free-kicks have been downright awful.

He wasn't ever even that deadly at his best. For every one that went in spectacularly he put about twenty into the wall or over the bar.

But yeah, now he's just pointless on them.

That's a good result for us in Madrid, coz if Zidane gets sacked Mourinho isn't replacing him but if Emery does he might.

Especially since, even though Cavani wasn't having a great night, taking him off for a fullback was one of the turning points of the game, meaning Emery's just piled pressure on himself.

11 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Well that wasn't a gift! Goal and a half to complete Mane's hat trick.

ETA: Madrid 3-1 up now. I haven't seen any of the game but I wasn't expecting that given how poor they've been.

Bringing Asensio on with ten minutes to go won it. Despite the aforementioned bad sub by PSG it was even and PSG were exerting pressure but Asensio slaughtered them.

Real Madrid, especially Cristiano, really loves these CL things I assume.

At least we can look forward to a very exciting 2nd leg between PSG and Real, as the formers will be in total beast mode. 

Emery's first sub was indeed a weird choice. But eh, he needed to try something, right ? I think Emery tried to enhance his right side by bringing Meunier as RB while keeping Alves as a fullback. Ultimately, it didn't work out at all, but his tactic was nowhere near stupid.

...I'd rather brought either Di Maria or Draxler in for Mbappé, though.

21 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

Ultimately, it didn't work out at all, but his tactic was nowhere near stupid.

It wasn't an idiotic idea in principle but that it ultimately offered no extra edge in attack when, as you say, they had better options on the bench makes it a bad decision.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Doubt it. Conte is more likely if Emery is sacked.

Don't tread on my dreams.

Real Madrid - PSG was pretty much a tale of two managers' substitutions. Emery's decision to bring off Cavani and bring on Meunier was as odd as I've seen and made little difference in shoring the side up, whereas Zidane's three subs all made an impact, especially Asensio.

Sure, when you have a young, Spanish lad with the ability that Asensio has, why would you even consider spending £150-£200m to bring in Eden Hazard? No team would really want to block Asensio's path like that, surely? They have Isco, too! Isco + Asensio is way better than one Eden Hazard, isn't it???

Sigh...they're still going to sign Hazard, aren't they?

9 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Real Madrid - PSG was pretty much a tale of two managers' substitutions. Emery's decision to bring off Cavani and bring on Meunier was as odd as I've seen and made little difference in shoring the side up, whereas Zidane's three subs all made an impact, especially Asensio.

Sure, when you have a young, Spanish lad with the ability that Asensio has, why would you even consider spending £150-£200m to bring in Eden Hazard? No team would really want to block Asensio's path like that, surely? They have Isco, too! Isco + Asensio is way better than one Eden Hazard, isn't it???

Sigh...they're still going to sign Hazard, aren't they?

Rumour has it that if Zidane doesn't leave, we'll be in for Asensio. I think I'd still prefer Pulisic, but I wouldn't complain about that one at all.

Hard to see us doing business with Real Madrid. Perez will likely demand DDG in exchange. They jerked us around big time for Morata so I don't see them selling us one of the brightest young talents in Spanish football without making ridiculous demands which we won't meet.

ETA. another good performance by Batshuayi. Two goals to give Dortmund a 3-2 win over Atalanta.

I’d rather everyone left Asensio where he is, and that Perez decides to save up money to go for Neymar and doesn’t come near Chelsea to look for Hazard. Take Courtois tomorrow, Perez - just leave Eden at Stamford Bridge.

Look at what playing in a team where a manager has confidence in him is doing for Michy Batshuayi. Lukaku has a real rival for that starting position in the World Cup, I’d say.

Nasser Al Khalifa will never allow Neymar to leave so soon. He is far too valuable an asset to PSG. Verratti's agent even described PSG as a "golden prison" when he was pushing for a move to Barca. You aren't getting out unless the club wants you gone or you run down your contract. Don't think Real could come up with the money required even if by some miracle PSG agree to sell. Plus Neymar's father/agent is greedy as fuck and no club is capable of lining his pockets to the extent that QSI can. Hazard would be by far the cheaper option for Real Madrid.

Archived