Football: CL is back

Mark Antony

Taking five minutes to react to Juve stepping it up cost them in the end. Had the referees not missed that blatant penalty, Spurs could have been three goals short despite their dominance.

I wonder if his goal and assist puts to bed the idea of Higuain as the big game bottler?

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Anyway, it's still fun to see Buffon have another run at winning a Champions League.

Looks a year to far for him, in my opinion. Very slow getting up for Son's goal and seemed to be moving in slow motion when Kane hit the post.

3 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

Is it me or was the refereeing horrible in this game ? (to be honest, I barely had half of the game on my screen with this awful stream)

Pretty poor. Juventus denied a penalty and Kane clearly offside for his chance at the death. A lot was made of Barzagli's alleged stamp, but even after several replays it is inconclusive as to whether he meant it or not.

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Spurs have been in complete control for about 170 minutes of a 180 minute tie and they've lost.

Hmm idk I thought Juve were pretty comfortable after Allegri made his subs and especially after the Higuaín goal. Crazy how quickly the tie changed 

3 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

Is it me or was the refereeing horrible in this game ? (to be honest, I barely had half of the game on my screen with this awful stream)

It was awful. Glad that Kane header went off the post at the end since he was clearly offside and the flag never went up.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Spurs have been in complete control for about 170 minutes of a 180 minute tie and they've lost.

Been having to take my football joy wherever I can find it this season. Can't beat a bit of schadenhotspur.

I wish I could have watched that live.  Spurs largely dominated over two legs and yet Juve scored four, missed a penalty and should have had another one awarded. 

Selfishly, I’d rather have Juventus still available as a potential opponent.  It feels more like a CL quarter final if we get drawn against Juve.  The CL is really fun when you get to knock-out ties against big name teams with some unpredictability.  Playing against PL opponents suffers from over-familiarity. 

Sevilla are my preferred opponents next round.  We owe them for the EL final, and the 3-3 collapse — which offsets them being less glamorous opposition.  I think/hope we’re more solid now. 

5 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Looks a year to far for him, in my opinion. Very slow getting up for Son's goal and seemed to be moving in slow motion when Kane hit the post.

Oh, yeah, he definitely looks over the hill in terms of his own performance. It'd still be good to see him retire on a winning note.

6 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Had the referees not missed that blatant penalty, Spurs could have been three goals short despite their dominance.

In fairness there was also a stonewall penalty for Spurs missed with one of the Juve defenders clearly hanging onto the back of Vertonghen's shirt for about 10m.

Archived