Mark Antony

Football: CL is back

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Been having to take my football joy wherever I can find it this season. Can't beat a bit of schadenhotspur.

Agreed.

I wish I could have watched that live.  Spurs largely dominated over two legs and yet Juve scored four, missed a penalty and should have had another one awarded. 

Selfishly, I’d rather have Juventus still available as a potential opponent.  It feels more like a CL quarter final if we get drawn against Juve.  The CL is really fun when you get to knock-out ties against big name teams with some unpredictability.  Playing against PL opponents suffers from over-familiarity. 

Sevilla are my preferred opponents next round.  We owe them for the EL final, and the 3-3 collapse — which offsets them being less glamorous opposition.  I think/hope we’re more solid now. 

5 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Looks a year to far for him, in my opinion. Very slow getting up for Son's goal and seemed to be moving in slow motion when Kane hit the post.

Oh, yeah, he definitely looks over the hill in terms of his own performance. It'd still be good to see him retire on a winning note.

6 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Had the referees not missed that blatant penalty, Spurs could have been three goals short despite their dominance.

In fairness there was also a stonewall penalty for Spurs missed with one of the Juve defenders clearly hanging onto the back of Vertonghen's shirt for about 10m.

27 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

I wonder if his goal and assist puts to bed the idea of Higuain as the big game bottler?

Good question. IMO, Higuain is not that a bottler in big games. I have the feeling that most of people bring up this point mostly because of his poor performance against Real Madrid back in June. Thing is, almost every Juve player were poor that night, and IIRC, Higuain didn't even have a couple of chance of scoring.

So yeah, the guy probably deserves a bit more appreciation. Not to mention he plays striker in a pretty defensive-minded team.

Posted (edited)

If nothing else, at least Chelsea won’t be the only English team to be be knocked out at the round of 16.

Edited by JordanJH1993

45 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Agreed.

I miss Szczesny. :(