PATCHFACE: THE VASSAL

Bloodraven's Spider

Patchface was a jester slave in Volantis. Steffon Baratheon (father of Stannis, King Robert and Renly) bought his freedom as a means to bring him to court as he was apparently a very smart fool who knows riddle, could juggle, and do magic. On their way back to Storms End Steffon and his party were all killed when they sailed into a awful storm. Patchface showed up three days later and coughed up water and survived. He was never the same again as he lost his wits. He now speaks in rhymes that are prophetic and tell us about events past, present, and future. Now theres two ways to decipher his role for which deity he works for. He is either a vassal for the Red God or the Drowned God. Patchface is a follower of the Red God who is being used as a vassal to complete his agenda but was brought back by the Drowned God. The meeting of these two gods and Patchfaces actions will cause cataclysmic consequences.

We know Patchface comes from Volantis which is the most abundant city of followers for R'hollor. And there is 3 types of necromancy which he could have brought him back. 1) White Walker 2) Qyburn/Frankenstein 3) R'hollor. He certainly doesn't fit the profile of being a instrument of a White Walker nor Qyburn/Frankenstein. However the Red God (R'hollor) fits. He lost some of his wits as do people who have been resurrected by R'hollor (Berric/Lady Stoneheart/ Soon to be Jon)

Time for the rhymes. Patchface doesn't have many lines but the few he does have; all have extraordinary meaning. He mostly uses the phrase "under the sea" a lot to start his rhymes; but thats not because he was physically under the sea but thats because it means "Valyria" which is under the sea.

"Under the sea the birds have scales for feathers. I know. I know"
Valyrian birds are dragons and dragons have scales instead of feathers

"it is always summer under the sea. The merwives wear nennymoans in their hair and have gowns of silver seaweed. I know. I know"
Valyria is located south of the Lands of of the Long Summer and their is 14 volcanoes there (the sea is called the 14 flames). Its always summer there. The mermen/merling/merwives come into play with half fish half man = half man half dragon. The last part merwives mean Valyrians and nennymoans are purple flowers. The 2 most significant characteristics are purple eyes and silver/gold hair. (This could also be reference to the purple wedding and the hair net that sansa wore)

"Under the sea no one wear hats"
He says this in response to Maester Cressen putting a bucket on his head. Queen Sylese commanded the maester to put his "crown" on. In Valyria there were no kings as it was ruled by the Lords Freeholders of noble families.

"Under the sea the merman feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs."
This is one of the more complicated ones to understand. The Valyrians first invaded Essos and pushed the Andals west. The only house that is associated with a crab sigil is Celtigar. Who have the blood of Old Valyria in them. The Targaryens/Valaryons/Celtigars all fled Valyria. The Celtigar's were most likely serving men of the Targs/Valaryons. As we've seen in the past when a Targaryen wasn't available to marry the Valaryons were the first option. Starfish soup most likely refers to the Valyrians pushing the Andals and their faith of the 7 with them to westeros. With them they took the Seven-Pointed "Star". History also tells us that the first Andal King forged his crown with 7 fallen stars. So this is a reference of the Valyrians defeating the Andals (the celtigars helped the Targaryens/Valaryons achieve this).

"Under the sea it snows up, and the rain is dry as bone. I Know. I know. Under the sea, smoke bubbles, and flames burn green, blue, and black."
This is a reference to the doom. The eruption of the volcanoes caused soot/smoke/and volcanic rock (dragon glass) to rain down on the people. The smoke rises in bubbles is a clear reference to the 14 volcanoes that are subdued under the water. Now while Dany is in Meeren Xaro Xaro Daxos offers her ships to leave he also gives her a beautiful tapestry of Valyria from before the doom its described as- "The seas are blue silk, the lands are green, the mountains black and brown." So this is describing the eruption.

"The Crow, the crow, under the sea the crows are white as snow, I know, oh, oh, oh." 
This is him speaking to jon letting him know that Winter came to Valyria. and that winter is coming again.

"Under the sea, you fall up. I know I know."
He tackled Maester Cressen here and is on top of him when saying this. This one is anyone bet. Perhaps its as simple as when you drown your body floats up. This is perhaps the Drowned god finally coming into the picture. Truthfully its anyones guess. Any idea???

"Under the sea, men marry fishes (A). Under the sea the old fish eat the young fish (B) Here we eat fish, under the sea the fish eat us now. I know I know. (C)" (I will break this down into several part follow with letter)

A) Valyrians married sibling to sibling (fishes =sibling)
B. In Valyria the older sibling has dominion over the younger sibling so this is more related to conquering rather than eating. However we know that dragons never stop getting older and bigger and therefore could easily over power and eat younger dragons. This is also said when Stannis proclaims himself King and plots to have Renly murdered.
C) This is the trickiest part to understand as it takes away some of the validity from b; but it holds enough to weight imo. In Valyria Renly would have defeated Stannis because he had more power then him even though by right all of Renly's vassals should have been Stanniss.' The right to rule back than came from power not from heritage.

"Clever bird, clever man, clever fool."
Patchface says this to Maester Cressen who is tending to a white raven. Maesters are supposedly very smart and ravens especially white ones are considered the smartest bird. An patches himself is very clever and he is preaching prophecy.

"The shadows come to dance my lord, dance my lord, dance my lord. The shadows come to stay, my lord, my lord, my lord."
He says this in the presence of Mel (who even says he is a clever fool). He is predicting the shadow magic Mel is about to use to get the "false kings" dead. My Lord is used 3 times the same number of leeches and deaths Mel is wanting and gets. Balon/Robb/Joff. "Dance" is commonly used to refer battles and death this time meaning Renly.

"Food blood, Kings blood, Blood on the maidens thigh, but chains for the guest, and chains for the bridegroom, aye, aye,aye."
This is the red wedding. The fool is Aegon Frey the king is Robb Stark both die. The slaughter begins at the bedding of Edmure and Roslyn. Guest who survived were eventually chained and sent to the dungeons.

"In the dark the dead are dancing"
He says this to Ser Nerbert who is speaking with Val. Val is telling him about White Walkers and giants and that the dead that are coming.

"Away, Away come with me beneath the sea away, away, away."
This is him singing to Shireen. Shireen will be sacrificed as a means for Mel to bring Jon back and it is the Red God's doing that she must die. She has "Kings blood" and that mustn't be forgotten. Jon's resurrection and Shireens death with be connected.

"I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride sea horses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh."
This is the Red God himself speaking (I WILL LEAD IT) as all he cares about is the battle for the dawn and preventing another long night from happening. Now part of this is related to Dany and her coming to Westeros as she is the Red Gods champion. Euron has given his brother Victorian ships and a dragon horn to bring Dany to Westeros and give him control of the dragons (Dothraki call ships wood horses...) "Mermaid" is Dany and I think she will somehow get her hands on the dragon horn and that will tame her dragons or cause to accidentally bring down the wall (The dragon horn and the Horn of Joramun are 2 big unknowns. Apparently one tames Dragons the other causes the wall to fall) Now with ships and tamed dragon she will cross the narrow sea and invade and with her being in Westeros she will be able to lead the battle for dawn. Now this could also be the Drowned god finally getting the last laugh. She or someone else can blow the horn and the dragons will come but only to melt the wall and flood the North. In AGOT before Bran falls George goes out of his way in describing the layout of Winterfell and writes a interesting part in an area of the castle where a flood would do no damage. Obviously a drowned god would want to subdue mass amounts of land under water and a wall of ice that is 700 feet high that stretches out for miles on count can provide more than enough.

Mel tells Jon that she has seen Patchface in the flames with skulls around him and he should be careful of him. That is because he was resurrected by Drowned God so a part of him wants to challenge the Red God for supremacy. Being that most of his riddles refer to the sea it is very possible that he is a instrument for the Drowned god and has nothing to do with R'hollor. When Davos/The Damphair/Tyrion all drown all three come out of this experience as if it were some divine experience except Tyrion. Tyrion drowned in a river and not the sea; that is why ll three of them claimed to have felt something touch them and it made them perform serious actions directly after except Tyrion (he was touched by a stone man and not some "divine deity". Afterward Davos felt he had to murder Mel (Red God/R''hollor) and the Damphair felt he had to call the Kingsmoot to make sure the salt throne would pass to Victorian and not Euron. 

Patchface is clearly more than just a simple fool. He is someone with great importance and shouldn't be looked over. If he truly is a representative of the Drowned God then I expect him to play a active role in Shireens death. Though I don't expect anything more than the usual couple of bars he will spit. What he say's though will be of great importance and determine what team he plays for. Don't sleep on Patchface

36 minutes ago, Ser Insight said:

Patchface was a jester slave in Volantis. Steffon Baratheon (father of Stannis, King Robert and Renly) bought his freedom as a means to bring him to court as he was apparently a very smart fool who knows riddle, could juggle, and do magic. On their way back to Storms End Steffon and his party were all killed when they sailed into a awful storm. Patchface showed up three days later and coughed up water and survived. He was never the same again as he lost his wits. He now speaks in rhymes that are prophetic and tell us about events past, present, and future. Now theres two ways to decipher his role for which deity he works for. He is either a vassal for the Red God or the Drowned God. Patchface is a follower of the Red God who is being used as a vassal to complete his agenda but was brought back by the Drowned God. The meeting of these two gods and Patchfaces actions will cause cataclysmic consequences.

We know Patchface comes from Volantis which is the most abundant city of followers for R'hollor. And there is 3 types of necromancy which he could have brought him back. 1) White Walker 2) Qyburn/Frankenstein 3) R'hollor. He certainly doesn't fit the profile of being a instrument of a White Walker nor Qyburn/Frankenstein. However the Red God (R'hollor) fits. He lost some of his wits as do people who have been resurrected by R'hollor (Berric/Lady Stoneheart/ Soon to be Jon)

Time for the rhymes. Patchface doesn't have many lines but the few he does have; all have extraordinary meaning. He mostly uses the phrase "under the sea" a lot to start his rhymes; but thats not because he was physically under the sea but thats because it means "Valyria" which is under the sea.

"Under the sea the birds have scales for feathers. I know. I know"
Valyrian birds are dragons and dragons have scales instead of feathers

"it is always summer under the sea. The merwives wear nennymoans in their hair and have gowns of silver seaweed. I know. I know"
Valyria is located south of the Lands of of the Long Summer and their is 14 volcanoes there (the sea is called the 14 flames). Its always summer there. The mermen/merling/merwives come into play with half fish half man = half man half dragon. The last part merwives mean Valyrians and nennymoans are purple flowers. The 2 most significant characteristics are purple eyes and silver/gold hair. (This could also be reference to the purple wedding and the hair net that sansa wore)

"Under the sea no one wear hats"
He says this in response to Maester Cressen putting a bucket on his head. Queen Sylese commanded the maester to put his "crown" on. In Valyria there were no kings as it was ruled by the Lords Freeholders of noble families.

"Under the sea the merman feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs."
This is one of the more complicated ones to understand. The Valyrians first invaded Essos and pushed the Andals west. The only house that is associated with a crab sigil is Celtigar. Who have the blood of Old Valyria in them. The Targaryens/Valaryons/Celtigars all fled Valyria. The Celtigar's were most likely serving men of the Targs/Valaryons. As we've seen in the past when a Targaryen wasn't available to marry the Valaryons were the first option. Starfish soup most likely refers to the Valyrians pushing the Andals and their faith of the 7 with them to westeros. With them they took the Seven-Pointed "Star". History also tells us that the first Andal King forged his crown with 7 fallen stars. So this is a reference of the Valyrians defeating the Andals (the celtigars helped the Targaryens/Valaryons achieve this).

"Under the sea it snows up, and the rain is dry as bone. I Know. I know. Under the sea, smoke bubbles, and flames burn green, blue, and black."
This is a reference to the doom. The eruption of the volcanoes caused soot/smoke/and volcanic rock (dragon glass) to rain down on the people. The smoke rises in bubbles is a clear reference to the 14 volcanoes that are subdued under the water. Now while Dany is in Meeren Xaro Xaro Daxos offers her ships to leave he also gives her a beautiful tapestry of Valyria from before the doom its described as- "The seas are blue silk, the lands are green, the mountains black and brown." So this is describing the eruption.

"The Crow, the crow, under the sea the crows are white as snow, I know, oh, oh, oh." 
This is him speaking to jon letting him know that Winter came to Valyria. and that winter is coming again.

He tackled Maester Cressen here and is on top of him when saying this. This one is anyone bet. Perhaps its as simple as when you drown your body floats up. This is perhaps the Drowned god finally coming into the picture. Truthfully its anyones guess. Any idea???

"Under the sea, men marry fishes (A). Under the sea the old fish eat the young fish (B) Here we eat fish, under the sea the fish eat us now. I know I know. (C)" (I will break this down into several part follow with letter)

B. In Valyria the older sibling has dominion over the younger sibling so this is more related to conquering rather than eating. However we know that dragons never stop getting older and bigger and therefore could easily over power and eat younger dragons. This is also said when Stannis proclaims himself King and plots to have Renly murdered.
C) This is the trickiest part to understand as it takes away some of the validity from b; but it holds enough to weight imo. In Valyria Renly would have defeated Stannis because he had more power then him even though by right all of Renly's vassals should have been Stanniss.' The right to rule back than came from power not from heritage.

"Clever bird, clever man, clever fool."
Patchface says this to Maester Cressen who is tending to a white raven. Maesters are supposedly very smart and ravens especially white ones are considered the smartest bird. An patches himself is very clever and he is preaching prophecy.

"The shadows come to dance my lord, dance my lord, dance my lord. The shadows come to stay, my lord, my lord, my lord."
He says this in the presence of Mel (who even says he is a clever fool). He is predicting the shadow magic Mel is about to use to get the "false kings" dead. My Lord is used 3 times the same number of leeches and deaths Mel is wanting and gets. Balon/Robb/Joff. "Dance" is commonly used to refer battles and death this time meaning Renly.

"Food blood, Kings blood, Blood on the maidens thigh, but chains for the guest, and chains for the bridegroom, aye, aye,aye."
This is the red wedding. The fool is Aegon Frey the king is Robb Stark both die. The slaughter begins at the bedding of Edmure and Roslyn. Guest who survived were eventually chained and sent to the dungeons.

"In the dark the dead are dancing"
He says this to Ser Nerbert who is speaking with Val. Val is telling him about White Walkers and giants and that the dead that are coming.

"Away, Away come with me beneath the sea away, away, away."
This is him singing to Shireen. Shireen will be sacrificed as a means for Mel to bring Jon back and it is the Red God's doing that she must die. She has "Kings blood" and that mustn't be forgotten. Jon's resurrection and Shireens death with be connected.

"I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride sea horses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh."
This is the Red God himself speaking (I WILL LEAD IT) as all he cares about is the battle for the dawn and preventing another long night from happening. Now part of this is related to Dany and her coming to Westeros as she is the Red Gods champion. Euron has given his brother Victorian ships and a dragon horn to bring Dany to Westeros and give him control of the dragons (Dothraki call ships wood horses...) "Mermaid" is Dany and I think she will somehow get her hands on the dragon horn and that will tame her dragons or cause to accidentally bring down the wall (The dragon horn and the Horn of Joramun are 2 big unknowns. Apparently one tames Dragons the other causes the wall to fall) Now with ships and tamed dragon she will cross the narrow sea and invade and with her being in Westeros she will be able to lead the battle for dawn. Now this could also be the Drowned god finally getting the last laugh. She or someone else can blow the horn and the dragons will come but only to melt the wall and flood the North. In AGOT before Bran falls George goes out of his way in describing the layout of Winterfell and writes a interesting part in an area of the castle where a flood would do no damage. Obviously a drowned god would want to subdue mass amounts of land under water and a wall of ice that is 700 feet high that stretches out for miles on count can provide more than enough.

Mel tells Jon that she has seen Patchface in the flames with skulls around him and he should be careful of him. That is because he was resurrected by Drowned God so a part of him wants to challenge the Red God for supremacy. Being that most of his riddles refer to the sea it is very possible that he is a instrument for the Drowned god and has nothing to do with R'hollor. When Davos/The Damphair/Tyrion all drown all three come out of this experience as if it were some divine experience except Tyrion. Tyrion drowned in a river and not the sea; that is why ll three of them claimed to have felt something touch them and it made them perform serious actions directly after except Tyrion (he was touched by a stone man and not some "divine deity". Afterward Davos felt he had to murder Mel (Red God/R''hollor) and the Damphair felt he had to call the Kingsmoot to make sure the salt throne would pass to Victorian and not Euron. 

Patchface is clearly more than just a simple fool. He is someone with great importance and shouldn't be looked over. If he truly is a representative of the Drowned God then I expect him to play a active role in Shireens death. Though I don't expect anything more than the usual couple of bars he will spit. What he say's though will be of great importance and determine what team he plays for. Don't sleep on Patchface

Interesting. I myself (among others ),  have postulated it appears the Drowned God(whatever it may be) maybe actually working as an antagonist for Rh'lor(who I personally suspect to be the storm God-the great enemy in the Ironborn religion).

It'd be interesting if both gods(if gods are a thing) have sent their prophets to Stannis

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Interesting. I myself (among others ),  have postulated it appears the Drowned God(whatever it may be) maybe actually working as an antagonist for Rh'lor(who I personally suspect to be the storm God-the great enemy in the Ironborn religion).

It'd be interesting if both gods(if gods are a thing) have sent their prophets to Stannis

I don't think gods/deity are physical beings but do have a significant place in TWOIAF. And when you think about Stannis' story he is one of the very few players that is connected to the whole of westeros/westerosi gods in some form. He was a follower of the 7. Listens to council from a red priestess who had converted his wife and many of his household. Saved the NW from an attack (the old gods) he was at the command of the royal fleet and smashed the iron fleet at the sea battle of fair isle (the drowned god). 

5 hours ago, Ser Insight said:

I don't think gods/deity are physical beings but do have a significant place in TWOIAF. And when you think about Stannis' story he is one of the very few players that is connected to the whole of westeros/westerosi gods in some form. He was a follower of the 7. Listens to council from a red priestess who had converted his wife and many of his household. Saved the NW from an attack (the old gods) he was at the command of the royal fleet and smashed the iron fleet at the sea battle of fair isle (the drowned god). 

Don't think he was ever a follower-he's been taught to follow them.

9 hours ago, Ser Insight said:

Interesting idea.

To continue your Valyrian theam C would make more sense for the slaves of Valyria to turn on their masters and 'eat' them as oppose to the Lords of Westros who dine on their peasants 

53 minutes ago, elder brother jonothor dar said:

Interesting idea.

To continue your Valyrian theam C would make more sense for the slaves of Valyria to turn on their masters and 'eat' them as oppose to the Lords of Westros who dine on their peasants 

That's a good point. Could very well mean that and it wouldn't take away from point b.

@serinsight Interesting piece and not one I've seen before. I've always leaned more toward gods not being real in story but rather certain people/groups knowing how to wield magic, which is real. To this end, I think the question of who or what resurrected him. Moqorro survived a similar situation in the sea thanks to his Red God magical skills, so that's definitely a good bet. I really hope squishers/selkies/merpeople aren't really a thing. 

Sorry if I missed this in the OP, but how do you suppose he ended up in Valyria under the sea? The ship went down in Shipbreaker Bay within sight of Storm's End. I like some of the Valyrian links you've made to his prophetic rambling, especially about the dragons being birds with scales but I'm not so sure about Valyria existing under the sea. Or am I misunderstanding?

17 hours ago, Ser Insight said:

54 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Flying is controlled falling.

When Bran is in a coma, he dreams that he is falling, but right before he wakes up he flies. Bran is a warg and can thusly basically put his own mind/soul into another person or being temporarily, which can be thought of that his soul is "flying".

It is possible that Patch is saying that the Valyrians were/are wargs? That is a theory that has been floating around for a while.

18 hours ago, Ser Insight said:

snip

I like the Valyrian connections. It seems to tick a lot of boxes.

If the Faceless Men are to be believed, then the Red God and the Drowned God are merely aspects of the God of Many Faces, so PF could be a vassal for all the gods.

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

Flying is controlled falling.

"There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Archived