U.S. Politics: Gunnin' From The Long Arm of the Law

Sivin

11 hours ago, Shryke said:

It's not voting trends, it's just demographics in general. You can see it in their media all the time. They are white supremacists and they fully embrace the concept of "white genocide" and having to fight it. To prevent the US from becoming not-white-enough anymore.

Obama isn't really american.

You will not replace us.

Make america great again.

These are not subtle slogans..

Well...not when you put them all together like that.

35 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Shep Smith is actually a decent journalist who somehow remains employed at Fox News. I wouldn't take his stance as indicative of anything of the network itself, except that they allow him to say honest things from time to time.

I think they keep Smith around so everyone else can go to happy hour at the Hate bar.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

I'm worried about you making money in the future.

I'm so flush with cash I'mma be able to buy new letters for my name! :P

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

Maybe it's time to change my picture...

"Get outta here, roundy!" Shouted one of the Squares.

"But why?" Cried one of the Circles.

"Because this is a metaphor for ideological warfare!"

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm just sayin', I said there might be Ruskies on this board.

Well CNN says that there are probably Ruskies on places like this board.

Just fucking saying.

Oh, you have no idea. Not only are w... they here, but if you've been paying attention, you'll know that at least one moderator speaks Russian and another has ties to Poland (which isn't quite the same as Russia, but hey, it's still Slavic). :)

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

There's lots of detail in the indictment, but keep in mind Mueller has only put in the bare bones of what he needs to issue the indictment. He has tons more shit, I'm quite sure.

This is really interesting.  Thank you for the summaries.  I have been skimming it a little bit....

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Maybe it's time to change my picture...

I think you should change it to this.

59 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

"Get outta here, roundy!" Shouted one of the Squares.

"But why?" Cried one of the Circles.

"Because this is a metaphor for ideological warfare!"

Well played.

53 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Oh, you have no idea. Not only are w... they here,

This wins the good sport award.  You would be my first suspect, in competition with lokisnow, but he seems more like Ledger's Joker in trying to confuse the conversation into chaos.

21 hours ago, Inigima said:

I do not think this DACA shitshow is an electoral advantage for Democrats. The coverage of what it means and who Dreamers are helps, but I don't think it will move the needle substantially. It's very hard to convince a DACA opponent that they should change their stance, because whether you think DACA is good public policy or not -- I think it's bad policy, personally -- there is no good counterargument to the argument that illegally immigrating is, well, illegal, because it is. The only real counterargument is that just because something is law doesn't mean it's just -- and that's true, but it isn't an argument, particularly, that this particular law is unjust. I think this very public fight is going to keep a lot of people from voting for Democrats in November, because I think an awful lot of people do want stricter enforcement of immigration law, regardless of its merits.

Furthermore, a big push of the administration, by way of Stephen Miller, is to cut legal immigration too. That at least is pure anti-immigrant racism, but if you don't like immigrants, no amount of policy argument or personal stories or statistics is going to convince you.

Unless you’re in a Dickensian novel, the crimes of your parent do not make you culpable. 

So no it’s not illegal, because if my dad gets a speeding ticket while eight year old me is riding in the car with him, and he never pays it, I am not equally culpable and responsible. I have not committed the same crime.

that is the essence of the republican argument on dreamers: children should be held responsible for their parents crimes. And children should be equally guilty of crimes their parents committed. 

Its a horrific standard for the law to take and one we should vigorously resist even if this were not just a bunch of racist republicans behaving in terrible ways. The legal standard the republicans are demanding is a profound assault on the foundations of functioning civil society, and could certainly be used in a myriad of other ways against the republicans political enemies.

23 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I think you should change it to this.

Well played.

This wins the good sport award.  You would be my first suspect, in competition with lokisnow, but he seems more like Ledger's Joker in trying to confuse the conversation into chaos.

Yeah I think we should make it clear that while some among us may be Russian bots, I am not accusing anyone directly.

It is clear to me that Altherion's brand of bullshittery and nutbagishness is of a genuine persuasion. Far be it from me to suggest that such a frightfully stupid individual would be the agent of a foreign power.

Altherion couldn't get paid to engage in counter-intelligence maneuvers, he lacks the necessary motivation.

A fidelity to capitol, a willingness to prostrate oneself in a manner inconceivable to a more dignified state actor. These are the things required to post nonsensical Sea Lion sojourns into the wicked and brief world of international espionage.

Even to imagine that as short and irresponsible a fixture as Altherion would be seen as a prospective engagement by a strategically focused 'infiltrator' strains credulity beyond its point of breaking.

Rest assured, Altherion. I have never once thought you were a Russian bot. I just think you're the actual lowest common denominator.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

While true, headline is kind of gimmicky.  With today's tech you'd expect a faster track than freaking Iran-Contra era shit.  Also, this investigation is directly tied to the election of a historically unpopular president who didn't win the popular vote.  Not to mention that what they're working with (special prosecutor investigations in the  last 50 years) is a very small sample size.

Anyway, hopeful that something will come of this that is politically actionable against some of the bigger douches in the administration or the GOP, but not going to hold my breath.  I feel like even a smoking gun won't be enough to get Repubs to do shit.

Yes professional centrist and both-siders are really a sorry ass lot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/opinion/republicans-bad-faith-krugman.html

Looking at all of this should make you very angry; it certainly infuriates me. But my anger isn’t mostly directed at Republicans; it’s directed at their enablers, the professional centrists, both-sides pundits, and news organizations that spent years refusing to acknowledge that the modern G.O.P. is what it so clearly is.

Why have Republicans become so overwhelmingly the party of bad faith? (And not just about budgets, of course; remember when Republicans cared deeply about a president’s sexual morality?) The main answer is probably that the party’s true agenda, dictated by the interests of a handful of super-wealthy donors, would be very unpopular if the public understood it. So the party must consistently lie about its priorities and intentions.

Meanwhile, many news organizations — which, by the way, gave Ryan years of adoring coverage — treat recent G.O.P. actions as if they are some kind of aberration, a departure from previous principles. They aren’t. Republicans are what they always were: They never cared about deficits; they always wanted to dismantle Medicare, not defend it. They just happen not to be who they pretended to be.

Now, there’s no mystery about why many people won’t face up to the reality of Republican bad faith. Washington is full of professional centrists, whose public personas are built around a carefully cultivated image of standing above the partisan fray, which means that they can’t admit that while there are dishonest politicians everywhere, one party basically lies about everything. 

42 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

With today's tech you'd expect a faster track than freaking Iran-Contra era shit.  Also, this investigation is directly tied to the election of a historically unpopular president who didn't win the popular vote.  Not to mention that what they're working with (special prosecutor investigations in the  last 50 years) is a very small sample size.

Sure, nothing anyone can do about the sample size.  I don't think "tech" should lead to much faster expectations than Iran-Contra or any others though.  Doubt previous investigations were especially held up by slower research methods - it's more about interviewing obvious suspects then following the trail that takes time.

42 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Anyway, hopeful that something will come of this that is politically actionable against some of the bigger douches in the administration or the GOP, but not going to hold my breath.  I feel like even a smoking gun won't be enough to get Repubs to do shit.

Yup. 

ETA:  I do think Mueller will get either Fuckface Jr. or Kushner (or even both) if he's allowed to.  Wanted to clarify.

4 hours ago, lokisnow said:

Unless you’re in a Dickensian novel, the crimes of your parent do not make you culpable. 

So no it’s not illegal, because if my dad gets a speeding ticket while eight year old me is riding in the car with him, and he never pays it, I am not equally culpable and responsible. I have not committed the same crime.

that is the essence of the republican argument on dreamers: children should be held responsible for their parents crimes. And children should be equally guilty of crimes their parents committed. 

Its a horrific standard for the law to take and one we should vigorously resist even if this were not just a bunch of racist republicans behaving in terrible ways. The legal standard the republicans are demanding is a profound assault on the foundations of functioning civil society, and could certainly be used in a myriad of other ways against the republicans political enemies.

This is pretty different, though, isn't it? You are continuing to commit a crime by remaining.

Incidentally, one argument I think is strongly in favor of Dreamers is the presumption of good faith on the part of the government. These are people who were told they could voluntarily register themselves and would not be deported. Good luck getting anyone to participate in any federal amnesty program of any kind again, ever.

FB, thanks for the indictment summaries, I was definitely not going to read the indictments myself. But... does any of this matter? Presumably most if not all of these people are well outside the reach of US law enforcement, no? And the indictments don't implicate anyone else not named in them.

Republicans have finally gotten their man—at least one of them, anyway. Rep. Kevin Cramer has decided to mount a challenge to Sen. Heidi Heitkamp in North Dakota, one of 10 Senate Democrats running for re-election in states that went to Donald Trump in 2016. That’s undeniably great news for Republicans, who haven’t had much to celebrate this campaign cycle

Republicans Notch a Rare Recruiting Victory in North Dakota

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/02/republicans-notch-a-rare-recruiting-victory-in-north-dakota.html

10 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Republicans Notch a Rare Recruiting Victory in North Dakota

Reminds me of John Thune beating Daschle, even if it's the wrong Dakota.  There's so much to attack Cramer for, I don't know where to start.

Archived