Black Panther Spoiler Topic -- because someone had to do it

Bastard of Boston

That's not how it works though.  Wakandan is a real language - it's Xhosa, like Kalbear said upthread, which is an African language used mostly in South Africa.  That's because John Rani, who plays T'Chaka in Civil War, wanted to use it. Link

So it's not like Red Sparrow, where they speak English with a Russian accent and we're supposed to understand they're speaking Russian.  In BP they do speak mostly English with each other but occasionally drop into Xhosa.  Like, there's a scene where they're speaking English together in the throneroom and Killmonger shuts them all up by speaking Wakandan, proving that he can.

They definitely have MTV though.  Shuri and T'Challa have all the fist bumps and bro speak.

I just figured that Xhosan-accented English wasn't driven primarily by the conquerors, but by outsiders - in the same way that Indians speak English with a specific accent regardless of where they came from. Most Xhosans weren't conquered by English but were conquered by dutch anyway, so that is a bit different regardless.

Sorry if this was already covered but I didn't go through every page in the thread in detail.

So is the heart-shaped herb completely gone now? As in, it's extinct? Or does there being a massive vibranium mine mean that the herb can be re-produced through whatever vibranium magic created it in the first place? Or was this just never addressed? Seems like a fundamental part of the Wakandan heritage and culture was wiped away. 

52 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Sorry if this was already covered but I didn't go through every page in the thread in detail.

So is the heart-shaped herb completely gone now? As in, it's extinct? Or does there being a massive vibranium mine mean that the herb can be re-produced through whatever vibranium magic created it in the first place? Or was this just never addressed? Seems like a fundamental part of the Wakandan heritage and culture was wiped away. 

I think we are supposed to believe it is wiped out and I believe it absolutely was intended to show that Killmonger was intent on wiping out Wakandan heritage.

19 hours ago, Rhom said:

I think we are supposed to believe it is wiped out and I believe it absolutely was intended to show that Killmonger was intent on wiping out Wakandan heritage.

I think it was intended to show that Killmonger was paranoid about them scheming to bring someone else in behind his back. Whether it is actually extinct will probably be decided later, which is why they left it vague, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a story, probably in film 3 because that's how these things go, where he has to deal without his powers for a bit, after which either they'll find a remaining source or Shuri will synthesise the potion and they'll be good from then on.

We took our son to see this a couple of weeks ago and we really enjoyed it, and I already have serious Marvel fatigue*.  It felt like a mix of Iron Man (only other Marvel film to handle current political/moral questions) and James Bond.  It has some terrible plot holes but no worse than any other Marvel flick, and it has a much more positive and optimistic  tone than most.  Fantastically well cast and acted.  I always like Michael B Jordan and I think he offered a great brooding, resentful counterpoint to the charismatic T’Challa.  

*When I heard the title Avengers: Infinity War, I thought it was a snarky mocking.  Is it possible they actually intended the irony?

The star of Black Panther was Wakanda.  The star of Civil War was Black Panther.   Where he popped and asserted more, then stepped back to let other ensemble players shine in his own movie.  Now he goes back to the russo caress.  Like with any large herem, the fear is some will be neglected.   But i feel the characters will be used the best when they do get screentime.  Because siblings bring balance to the force.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, Ran said:

Found this quite interesting discussion about the film with philosopher Lewis Gordon that I thought some might find interesting.

That was a pretty long and interesting read. I don't know that I saw T'chala as being really liberal while watching it but looking back, with him being a King I guess it was more of a democracy than a normal kingdom would be. The thing that struck me as odd was in the beginning where it said that someone had called for white people to wait a week and let black people have their moment? I don't recall hearing that around me. I went opening night along with a full theatre and we all enjoyed a good movie together.

9 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Oh. Looks like it came out on home media 3 days ago. There goes 20 bucks.

Ha. "The only thing Flat Earthers fear, is sphere itself". How the hell have I gone damn near 3 decades alive and never heard that one?

It came out Tuesday and was still number nine at the box office last week.  :lol: 

Archived