Theory: Barbrey Dustin is a very tough fighter

Angel Eyes

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

How else is she able to keep Barrow Hall in her own right and keep suitors at bay while other widows like Donella Manderly-Hornwood are forced to give up their holdings to other men, i.e. Ramsay Snow?

This is very interesting. If i'm not wrong nowhere in the books is mentioned that she had suitors after her husband death. Maybe, none is interested in Dustin's lands.

4 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

How else is she able to keep Barrow Hall in her own right and keep suitors at bay while other widows like Donella Manderly-Hornwood are forced to give up their holdings to other men, i.e. Ramsay Snow?

Good question.  Maybe she had and she gave them the cold shoulder.  Cold shoulder from a woman can instantly deflate a proud man's ego as well as shrink his sausage.

9 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

This is very interesting. If i'm not wrong nowhere in the books is mentioned that she had suitors after her husband death. Maybe, none is interested in Dustin's lands.

Somebody correct me but the Dustins and the Rhyswells are some of the better off families in the north.  The barrows of the first men are on Dustin lands.  There is value in those lands. 

Land is always valuable and everyone is looking for more or to marry their children into it. Donella Hornwood liked Ser Rodrick and there were no heirs left after her husband and son died. She was looking, hinting at taking a husband to Bran and Lewin. Ramsay kidnapped her, married her against her will, raped her and locked her in a room till she died. The Manderly's occupied the land to prevent the Boltons from taking it but when Lord Wyman's son and heir was captured, he had to allow the Boltons to take it as part of the negotiations.

Lady Barbrey can do pretty much what she wants and no one seems to be bothered by it. There may be an heir, decendent of her husband's famiily that gets it after she dies but no one is forcing marriage on her at this time. She is prickly.

10 hours ago, Belwas the Bodyguard said:

Good question.  Maybe she had and she gave them the cold shoulder.  Cold shoulder from a woman can instantly deflate a proud man's ego as well as shrink his sausage.

Somebody correct me but the Dustins and the Rhyswells are some of the better off families in the north.  The barrows of the first men are on Dustin lands.  There is value in those lands. 

You are right, they are one of better off Houses in the North, but i don't remember that anywhere in ADWD was mentioned that she had any suitor, which i found very strange.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Someone, somewhere, has a fine theory that she, despite being a Ryswell by birth, is also laced into the Dustin inheritance from another line back a generation or two, so she is basically a legal claimant by blood, as well as running the joint in a regency/dowager capacity.

Here it is: The Dustin Fief Will Devolve Back to House Ryswell Anyway Theory .....

When a house gets extinct (as it happened with House Dustin) it comes to the liege lord to decide who gets to rule their lands.

In this case, after Willam Dustin died, it had to be Ned to decided that Barbrey would rule Barrowton from now on. So I don't thin it is a matter of Barbrey being strong (which she is), but of Ned feeling guilty.

My own theory is that Ned only postponed his decision on who would get Barrowton, and leaving Barbrey the right to rule it until her death, but not passing it to her descendants (she has no Dustin blood, after all). That would give an additional reason for her bitterness, explain why she hasn't married and justify why none of his brothers are listed as heir to Barrowton in the appendixes.

• 2 months later...
On 18/02/2018 at 5:40 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

Land is always valuable and everyone is looking for more or to marry their children into it. Donella Hornwood liked Ser Rodrick and there were no heirs left after her husband and son died. She was looking, hinting at taking a husband to Bran and Lewin. Ramsay kidnapped her, married her against her will, raped her and locked her in a room till she died. The Manderly's occupied the land to prevent the Boltons from taking it but when Lord Wyman's son and heir was captured, he had to allow the Boltons to take it as part of the negotiations.

Lady Barbrey can do pretty much what she wants and no one seems to be bothered by it. There may be an heir, decendent of her husband's famiily that gets it after she dies but no one is forcing marriage on her at this time. She is prickly.

Agreed

Basicaly shes been lady of a great house for sometime and thus has some slack

Mix in the fact shes too old to bear a legit heir for any husband and her family control another great house and you have a lady whos got enough power to not be pushed lightly nor is she an attractive catch even with her lands .

I assume ned didnt act sooner  when she was stll fertile out of respect for his dead pal .....shit when u look at her and the stark kids ned could made the north a lot safer if he was a lot keener on bethrothals !

On 2/17/2018 at 2:19 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Thanks

5 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I think she considered her nephew Domeric the closest to an heir. 

That's why she hates Ramsay's guts but there's no proof that he killed him. 

What? No. Willam had relatives. Barbrey Ryswell is holding Barrowton but not keeping it. 

3 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

They don't talk about them. On the wiki, it's just Willam.

Know what Ned would say? Wiki is not the books.

Lord Dustin and I had not been married half a year when Robert rose and Ned Stark called his banners. I begged my husband not to go. He had kin he might have sent in his stead. An uncle famed for his prowess with an axe, a great-uncle who had fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings. But he was a man and full of pride, nothing would serve but that he lead the Barrowton levies himself. I gave him a horse the day he set out, a red stallion with a fiery mane, the pride of my lord father's herds. My lord swore that he would ride him home when the war was done.

Archived