Epilogue... Finale

Pride of Driftmark

Just thought of something that I've never thought about before. Who should narrate the very last epilogue in the series? Bearing in mind that all prologue/epilogue narrators must die in their chapter (or shortly after), who should do this one?

I have absolutely no theories, and the ending of the series is such an unknown that I just want to have a little fun with this one. Any thoughts? Wishful thinking, tragedy, or something else?

I like the idea of it being Sam, as part of his role as a maestar. :) 

I don't want it to become a meta-narrative, though, as this story wouldn't work with that. It would imply that somehow Sam has been able to read minds all along. So it shouldn't end with the suggestion that the books were written by Sam all along, in a stylistic fashion akin to the end of Lord of the Rings. It worked for that story, but it wouldn't work for this one.

3 hours ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

Just thought of something that I've never thought about before. Who should narrate the very last epilogue in the series? Bearing in mind that all prologue/epilogue narrators must die in their chapter (or shortly after), who should do this one?

I have absolutely no theories, and the ending of the series is such an unknown that I just want to have a little fun with this one. Any thoughts? Wishful thinking, tragedy, or something else?

Bran. it will be the bittersweet ending. he will watch everyone he loves grow old and die trapped in a root ball while waiting for the next to last greenseer 

Nice OP, @Pride of DriftmarkPart of me thinks the epilogue POV will be a completely new character 100+ years in the future who has some thoughts and comments on the age in which the events of the ASOIAF series took place, and his maester (or whatever the future equivalent is) may chide him for believing in such nonsense as dragons, and explain how there could not have been seasons that lasted several years, amongst other things that would let us see how different the future of planetos is (while getting some similarities as well).

4 hours ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

Bearing in mind that all prologue/epilogue narrators must die in their chapter (or shortly after), who should do this one?

While that has been the case thus far, I wouldn't call it a hard and fast rule, especially for the series epilogue.

19 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Bran. it will be the bittersweet ending. he will watch everyone he loves grow old and die trapped in a root ball while waiting for the next to last greenseer 

I really hate where I think Bran's storyline is going (him being the all powerful, time travelling, influenced every single event character), but provided that it doesn't get too out of hand this would be a very tasteful and satisfying way to close the series, especially since Bran was the first POV after the prologue, and it does give the opportunity for universal exposition within a POV given the greensight.

My ideal scenario:

Before the epilogue, we are shown that Dany went over to the dark side, and then some hero killed her (I vote for Aegon)

The epilogue will be the last flight of Drogon, and it is revealed that Dany did die, but she also warged into her three dragons(becoming the three headed dragon ) with Bran's/Jon's help to reclaim them and transform them into a deadly air force for the last battle.(We know that the warging works both ways, so maybe Bran created a bridge for her to get into the dragons.)

In their last flight, Dany and Bran/Jon(I guess Jon) will think about how Westeros recovered after the Long Night. They are now probably hundreds of years old, and can think of how westeros fought off the would-be conquerors from Essos, because Westeros was very weakened after the Long Night and people wanted to take it. I like to think that Arya and Tyrion teamed up and carried out espionage that distracted the powers of Essos into squabbling with each other. They will also talk about the first winter after the long night, and amusedly remember the scare it caused. They'll confirm that the seasons are seasonal now.

They know that it's their time to die, so Drogon lands and walks up to the throne, eying the throne room one last time, and lays by its feet. The King, some descendant of Bran, assures them that their kingdom of safe in his hands and that they can let go. Their last thought is that the Song of Ice and Fire has now ended.

Having completely escaped appearing on page for the entire series, Howland Reed makes his long awaited entrance, turns every remaining characters parentage on its head, explains nothing, and then promptly dies.

In reality, I just want it to end with, “The things I do for love...”

There are various ideas that have been suggested here that I would like.

My first thought went to Sam, with Tyrion a second possibility, I guess because they are bookish but I don't see them actually narrating, or even alive at the time, but having written a book about what happened and how it all ended and how the world healed itself in some way and one of their descendants (not necessarily a direct descendant of whoever wrote the book but from of the characters we know) reading the book probably as a child.  I know it is a little cliche though... but I could still see this.

I also like the idea of it being Bran, still alive (in some form) and hundreds of years old when all his contemporaries are dead (even if some of them died of old age lol).  Yes, this would be bitter sweet as well.

Now, depending on how this pans out and what the Others actual want or are prepared to accept, if say there was a truce where magic has to go (including the dragons) but they agree to go back to sleep (or whatever is that they did after the previous Long Night), I think the idea of the point of view being an Other, or even the Night King (or whatever you want to call him in the books actually, Great Other?) would be beyond awesome.

Last POV will be Bran, Sam or Rhaego.

In the Dothraki Sea Dany will reunite with her son. He will become Rhaegel's dragonrider. Then Dany, her son, dragons, Tyrion, Barristan, Jorah, maester Marwyn, red priest Moqorro, Quaithe, Unsullied and Dothraki will sail to Westeros. On those 500 ships from Volantis + Euron's Iron Fleet (without Euron). After arriving to 7K, Dany will unmask fAegon, who is a Blackfyre, and Varys, who is also a Blackfyre, and grandson of Bittersteel. Dany will burn them both, and feed them to her dragons. Then the Long Night will begin. Jon Snow will meet with Dany, they will fall in love, maybe will get married. Jon will become Viseryon's dragonrider. He will find Dawn sword of Daynes, in crypts under Winterfell. That sword is a Lightbringer, and Jon is Azor Ahai. Dany is Nissa Nissa. And her son Rhaego, is the Prince that was promised. And all three of them together, are three heads of the dragon, from Targaryen prophecy. Dany will die in childbirth. Her and Jon's daughter will be Queen of 7K, Lyanna Targaryen. After Dany's death, Jon will return to Night's Watch, and will be their 1000, the last Lord Commander. Tyrion will be Regent and the Hand of the Queen. Lyanna will be betrothed with her half-brother Rhaego. The Long Night and winter will last many years. Rhaego, the Stallion that will mount the world, the Prince that was promised, and the champion of R'hllor, will be traveling with his army all over the world, killing white walkers. All dragons will die, because of Dany. So there won't be a quick way to get rid of all undead at once. Thus they will have to go and kill/burn every wight and every Other, and only after all of them will be annihilated, the Long Night will end. People will die from cold, hunger, and attacks of white walkers. But there is still hope, as long as the Prince (Rhaego) is still fighting. So one day he will defeat the Great Other, and the sun will rise again. But until that will happen, people will see spring only in their dreams. That's why the last book is A Dream of Spring, and the ending of ASOIAF is bittersweet - the world is covered in darkness, but one day the Long Night will end.  

I hope GRRM will write a more optimistic story than that ^_^

Archived