The Politics in the Arya TWOW chapter

Morgana Lannister

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, Morgana Lannister said:

There are so many possible variables here and the FM are so mysterious that it seems nearly impossible (for me at least) to come up with a single theory that is cohesive enough to tie various ends convincingly TBH.

1.  Yes, it could be just that and that would only show that she is now trusted enough to have a key to a side door so it wouldn't (with what we know) advance the plot very much if at all.

2.  One of my theories here is that she must have some incline that, given her personality, sooner or later she may need to make a quick escape from the Faceless and has already starting to formulate a plan B for that scenario.  The fact that describes the objects as "treasure" however does not, in my mind, indicate that those items belong to Arya or even to No-one.  She could have stolen one or more of them but of course we are missing a lot of background info here.  Yes, I agree it could open another hall in the House of B&W or even a vault in the bank itself.  In terms of how she has obtained this key, it's got to either have stolen it or it has been given to her for a specific mission.  Now, if she was on a mission prior to killing Raff the agent in that mission is Mercy.  It could be that George is trying to throw us off path in that this, at face value, appears to indicate that those items are not connected to Mercy's training or to any current mission.  Still, if she had been allowed to "borrow" those items or at least the key, they would still not belong to Mercy.

I am coming around to the idea that the key, at least, is going to have some significance to the story.  I think it either belongs to her or was given to her for safekeeping.  My guess is that it opens a vault or other receptacle (safe-deposit box, etc.) that contains something of value that the owner wishes to keep safe and/or hidden.  What that is I cannot guess (unless it is Needle).  I think the other objects are easier to explain.   Arya probably doesn't wish to go unarmed, hence the blade. And the coins are likely similar to the one Jaqen gave her, which I believe are used as a sort of ID token to indicate the bearer is on FM business or has helped one.  In both cases she has reason to keep them hidden on her person. 

15 hours ago, Nevets said:

I am coming around to the idea that the key, at least, is going to have some significance to the story.  I think it either belongs to her or was given to her for safekeeping.  My guess is that it opens a vault or other receptacle (safe-deposit box, etc.) that contains something of value that the owner wishes to keep safe and/or hidden.  What that is I cannot guess (unless it is Needle).  I think the other objects are easier to explain.   Arya probably doesn't wish to go unarmed, hence the blade. And the coins are likely similar to the one Jaqen gave her, which I believe are used as a sort of ID token to indicate the bearer is on FM business or has helped one.  In both cases she has reason to keep them hidden on her person. 

I agree.  I am convinced this is not just any random key or else the "didn't belong to Mercy" would not serve any purpose there.  I think you are right.  I reckon it opens a safe where something of value is kept, although this may not be gold but maybe a contract...

55 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I agree.  I am convinced this is not just any random key or else the "didn't belong to Mercy" would not serve any purpose there.  I think you are right.  I reckon it opens a safe where something of value is kept, although this may not be gold but maybe a contract...

Contract for what?  Not the loan.  That's what Swyft is in town to negotiate the terms of (hopefully).  And I can't think of any other contract, although incriminating documents held for safekeeping would be a possibility (one of many).  

I do expect Arya's actions to have an effect on the negotiations, though.  Swyft may well perceive the disappearace9 or murder) or Raff as an attempt to intimidate him by attacking one of his party, and who knows what the Braavosi will conclude, or admit to.  They are likely to become suspicious of Mercy when they can't find out anything about her past, so they may conclude that she lured him into a trap for robbery and/or murder.   Or they may decide that he murdered her.  Hard to say.  In any event, it is going to cause trouble.  But I don't think it is at anybody's orders.

Archived