US Politics: Let's Arm All the Teachers! 30 Pieces of Silver to Shoot a Student!

Fragile Bird

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just put a Hal 9000 in every school and give it death rays so it can zap any would be shooter. I can’t think of any negative side effects to this idea.

Hal 9000 does have a nice calming voice.

Can someone ask these people why they want every place in America to be like the OK Corral at sundown?

Seriously, it's fucking weird. And kudos to the Parkland peeps and kids. The news anchors kept trying to "but Sen. Rubio said he could think about magazine limits" and these people aren't having it. That's not progress, that's twenty years overdue.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Seriously, it's fucking weird. And kudos to the Parkland peeps and kids. The news anchors kept trying to "but Sen. Rubio said he could think about magazine limits" and these people aren't having it. That's not progress, that's twenty years overdue.

He could think about it, he could.  But not thinking about it pays better, just ask the NRA, they pay him lots and lots to not think about it.

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don’t people have to tithe to be a regular member of these super churches?

That's not a 'tithe' you extremist! It's a recurring donation prerequisite to hearing the good news.

The 'tithe' is paid by the broadcast company.

1 minute ago, Nasty LongRider said:

He could think about it, he could.  But not thinking about it pays better, just ask the NRA, they pay him lots and lots to not think about it.

I'm honestly disgusted at the CNN New Day anchors. I thought they were so good all week, and then the moment Rubio gives them a half faced talking point they act like that's enough.

They keep having these maniacs on who flat out refuse to even discuss gun laws because 'we have to sit down and talk'.

Bullshit. Everyone gets to hold an opinion. A massively outnumbered fraction of the electorate does not get to dictate what there can and cannot be discussions about, that's not debate. Just because some insecure manchildren and ___________ (we need a derogatory term for bitches who get a tingly feeling in their lady parts from the bang bang sticks) get angry when you talk about taking away their toys does not mean the rest of us have to accept that. The status quo is coercion literally over gun points.

7 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That's not a 'tithe' you extremist! It's a recurring donation prerequisite to hearing the good news.

The 'tithe' is paid by the broadcast company.

I found out from devout Xtian a few years ago that if one pays their tithe with a check they can use the tithe as a tax deduction.  Charity donation or some such shit.

4 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I found out from devout Xtian a few years ago that if one pays their tithe with a check they can use the tithe as a tax deduction.  Charity donation or some such shit.

I wrote a long post last night about what churches are.

I deleted it because the truth sounds fucking insane.

When the student asked Senator Rubio if he would accept money from the NRA, the Rubio repeatedly said  that he would take money from people who "buy into my agenda."

This indicates that Rubio is "bought." 

It was a telling admission that is not getting enough attention.

18 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

When the student asked Senator Rubio if he would accept money from the NRA, the Rubio repeatedly said  that he would take money from people who "buy into my agenda."

This indicates that Rubio is "bought." 

It was a telling admission that is not getting enough attention.

So, the NRA is just his fan club. Got it. 

It didn't go unnoticed by anyone who watched it. 

He seemed genuinely surprised at the thunderous reaction when he said that in order to be effective, there would have to be a ban on ALL assault weapons. He obviously didn't expect that. 

18 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

He seemed genuinely surprised at the thunderous reaction when he said that in order to be effective, there would have to be a ban on ALL assault weapons. He obviously didn't expect that. 

Enjoy the moment. 

Could it be that there's real momentum on gun control this time?  I have serious doubts that Congress will be able to get anything passed because of the House in particular.  I think in the Senate you might see something get through because guys like Rubio have to face statewide voters, but I don't see the Republican house going for it.  It's often difficult these days to decide if I'm reading the room correctly, but it really feels like people are finally done with the Republican / NRA thoughts and prayers approach and I'm enjoying watching them squirm.  Failure to do anything, yet again, might really cost them this time as the ball is firmly in their court.

I'll be damned but I'm starting to wonder if, just as it took Nixon to recognize China and Reagan to end the Cold War, it wouldn't be up to the Republicans to finally move forward on gun control.
Not that I'm necessarily expecting it to happen now, but I do wonder...

I don’t often read economics. I can understand some of it, but it takes much effort and time, something I don’t have normally.

Today, I found this linked on my facebook wall. 

As I am more or less economically illiterate, what do the resident economist (yes, I’m bestowing this title on you. Deal with it) @OldGimletEye have to say about it?

Archived