Jump to content
Canon Claude

How did Jorah have no children?

Recommended Posts

Unless he’s impotent or both his wives were barren, or he somehow never bedded either of his wives, I suddenly find it odd that Jorah never has any kids. And yes, I know that this is done for literary purpose, just like how Ned Stark impregnated Cat in their wedding bed. But it’s interesting how nobody ever brings it up. Two marriages and no children at all? Any noble family would find that confusing, even alarming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a 45 yr'old man after a 16 year old girl. Sure, why didn't his former wives see him not fit to have children. He must have had his own fetiches while young.

That is a simple and explatory explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jorah's first wife died from her third miscarriage. Unfortunate but these things happen. 

It is possible that Lynesse also had problems but I think a more likely scenario is that she is someone who enjoys being the centre of attention, the finer things in life and may have been taking Tansy and it Essos equivalent to make sure she does not get pregnant.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

Jorah's first wife died from her third miscarriage. Unfortunate but these things happen. 

It is possible that Lynesse also had problems but I think a more likely scenario is that she is someone who enjoys being the centre of attention, the finer things in life and may have been taking Tansy and it Essos equivalent to make sure she does not get pregnant.  

Or she's infertile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

They were just to old for him to perform.

Jeor is known as the old bear, the women of bear island are known as she-bears, Jorah is forever known the pedo bear. But honestly come on, the age of consent and maturity in the Middle Ages was different; especially among the nobility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

They were just to old for him to perform.

Not really. His first wife is described as a girl, and Jorah was married roughly around when he came of age, circa 270 AC. She then had three miscarriages, the last proving fatal. Jorah would have been about 35 in 290 AC for the Tourney at Lannisport, with Lynesse some 18 years younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Jeor is known as the old bear, the women of bear island are known as she-bears, Jorah is forever known the pedo bear. But honestly come on, the age of consent and maturity in the Middle Ages was different; especially among the nobility. 

Yeah, like a 12-13 year old marrying a man twice her age. Or any of Walder Frey’s marriages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Jeor is known as the old bear, the women of bear island are known as she-bears, Jorah is forever known the pedo bear. But honestly come on, the age of consent and maturity in the Middle Ages was different; especially among the nobility. 

Actually, he is hebebear 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tygett Lannister said:

They were just to old for him to perform.

Unlikely. Walder Frey is still "performing" in his 90s and generating children and bastards. Craster is way up there, too. And if Jorah has been spending his last several years in exile patronizing 'hos - well, they're professionals. They know all about moon tea.

I agree with Bernie Mac about Lynesse - she sounds unlikely to want a pregnancy to slow her down, render her unattractive, and leave its ugly tracks on her body. Plus having to share the spotlight with a babe. Jorah, I think, would not press the issue because of (1) his first wife's untimely death by pregnancy, and (2) he doesn't need an heir; he has  sisters who will inherit beore him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zandru said:

Unlikely. Walder Frey is still "performing" in his 90s and generating children and bastards. Craster is way up there, too. And if Jorah has been spending his last several years in exile patronizing 'hos - well, they're professionals. They know all about moon tea.

I agree with Bernie Mac about Lynesse - she sounds unlikely to want a pregnancy to slow her down, render her unattractive, and leave its ugly tracks on her body. Plus having to share the spotlight with a babe. Jorah, I think, would not press the issue because of (1) his first wife's untimely death by pregnancy, and (2) he doesn't need an heir; he has  sisters who will inherit beore him.

I recall reading it may in fact be Black Walder who is doing Old Walder's performing.  

Jorah is an only child.  Maege is Jeor's sister and all those daughters belong to her.  

That was a pretty brutal accounting of what childbirth does to a woman's body.  I do hope you don't have any children and just don't understand what you said there.  Childbirth is natural and miraculous and leaves a woman's body much more interesting.  Leave it's ugly tracks is not how it's supposed to be perceived, friend.   I get what you're saying about Lynesse, who should understand that her job is to bear children for her husband.  That was essentially a women's primary job during medieval times.  In these modern times it is more a choice as women have far more opportunity than before.  Curiously, childbirth still leaves the same very interesting changes that most mothers and fathers find fascinating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I recall reading it may in fact be Black Walder who is doing Old Walder's performing.  

Jorah is an only child.  Maege is Jeor's sister and all those daughters belong to her.  

That was a pretty brutal accounting of what childbirth does to a woman's body.  I do hope you don't have any children and just don't understand what you said there.  Childbirth is natural and miraculous and leaves a woman's body much more interesting.  Leave it's ugly tracks is not how it's supposed to be perceived, friend.   I get what you're saying about Lynesse, who should understand that her job is to bear children for her husband.  That was essentially a women's primary job during medieval times.  In these modern times it is more a choice as women have far more opportunity than before.  Curiously, childbirth still leaves the same very interesting changes that most mothers and fathers find fascinating.  

For all we know of Black Walder, they might be lying. Of the people he's slept with, the only one we meet is Gatehouse Ami, and she really gets around. Everyone else sees him as a violent asshole they don't want around. Though maybe he rapes them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zandru said:

Unlikely. Walder Frey is still "performing" in his 90s and generating children and bastards. Craster is way up there, too. And if Jorah has been spending his last several years in exile patronizing 'hos - well, they're professionals. They know all about moon tea.

I agree with Bernie Mac about Lynesse - she sounds unlikely to want a pregnancy to slow her down, render her unattractive, and leave its ugly tracks on her body. Plus having to share the spotlight with a babe. Jorah, I think, would not press the issue because of (1) his first wife's untimely death by pregnancy, and (2) he doesn't need an heir; he has  sisters who will inherit beore him.

They is referring to his wives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Not really. His first wife is described as a girl, and Jorah was married roughly around when he came of age, circa 270 AC. She then had three miscarriages, the last proving fatal. Jorah would have been about 35 in 290 AC for the Tourney at Lannisport, with Lynesse some 18 years younger.

14 or no boner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have pointed out, his first wife had three miscarriages, so he can't have been impotent or infertile. Jorah also told Dany that he had multiple women:

Quote

"Still, the island suited me well enough, and I never lacked for women. I had my share of fishwives and crofter's daughters, before and after I was wed."

aCoK

Daenerys I

This leaves the opportunity that Jorah may have a few bastards walking around Bear Isle.

I also last year introduced the theory that Jorah and Lynesse had a child together. I'll try to find the thread.

Found it:

 

Edited by Vaedys Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

a pregnancy to slow her down, render her unattractive, and leave its ugly tracks on her body. Plus having to share the spotlight with a babe. Jorah, I think, would not press the issue because of (1) his first wife's untimely death by pregnancy, and (2) he doesn't need an heir; he has  sisters who will inherit beore him.

And it's bear island; no one's clamoring to get a piece of it so there's no rush to get an heir; hell no one cares about what's going on in bear island so much the current lady of it has been able to give birth to daughters that are expected take after her; daughters she had seeming without having getting married to a man first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

And it's bear island; no one's clamoring to get a piece of it so there's no rush to get an heir; hell no one cares about what's going on in bear island so much the current lady of it has been able to give birth to daughters that are expected take after her; daughters she had seeming without having getting married to a man first

  •  

Hey Varys, that was not my quote!  Site has gone wonky again.  That was the quote I replied to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×