Will Dany's Dragons lay eggs?

MaesterFredson

I am a lurker on this site, a lot of good ideas shared. 

Will Dany's Dragons, some day in the future, lay any eggs? 

prophecy said Dany won't have kids, what about her dragons?

Of course we have to assume they will, poetic reasons they need to so Dany's new world can continue, right?

assuming GRRM thought about this, not an over sight.

Excited to hear what the pros have to say! Thanks!

6 minutes ago, MaesterFredson said:

I am a lurker on this site, a lot of good ideas shared. 

prophecy said Dany won't have kids, what about her dragons?

Of course we have to assume they will, poetic reasons they need to so Dany's new world can continue, right?

assuming GRRM thought about this, not an over sight.

Excited to hear what the pros have to say! Thanks!

I think so.  Dragons can change gender.  The current genders of the dragons do not matter because they can change to adapt to the needs of reproduction.  All three seem male to me but I am sure at least one will change. 

I think they are bound to - if nothing more than to enhance Dany's reputation as the "Mother of Dragons". 

If the theory that dragons can change sex when needed is correct then a situation like Viserion and Rhaegal being locked up in the pyramid does sound like a good reason for one of them to change over to female, for the continuation of the species under such stressful times.

Viserion might have already lain a few up in the den he/she has burrowed. 

It was prophesied that the dragons would one day return. Now there are three. Naturally that would mean the species would continue. Dragons can change gender to suit the circumstances. So I don't think it's far fetched to believe that Dany's dragons would start laying viable eggs. But they are still young, probably in their early teens of sort so it may take a while. The new dragons might continue from these three. It's also possible that with the return of fire magic, other fossilized dragon eggs might become viable again. 

They are bound to lay eggs and bring forth more dragons.  The dragons balance out the others.  Now with that said, I think the dragons did not go extinct in the far east beyond Asshai.  The dragons are like the direwolves and the white walkers.  They live in the fringes and the frontiers of the known world. 

If Dany is the Mother of Dragons somebody has to be the Mother of Direwolves.  I believe that someone is Arya, the Mother of Direwolves.  I don't exactly know how this will play out but perhaps Arya will live long enough to have a daughter who can also bond with the wolves.  One other way is Arya dies and becomes Nymeria, mates with Ghost, and they have little direwolves.   The dragons are the children of Dany and Drogo.  Maybe the future direwolves will be the children of Arya and Jon.  Neither Arya nor Jon are shy about breaking rules.  They could mate as wolves and have pups.  They can both die, become direwolves, and have pups that way too.

Its doubtful. I would love it if it happens but I dont think it will, since asoiaf magic theme seems to be "the last breath of magic". Valyria had its doom. Giants, the cotf and direwolves are going extinct.

1 hour ago, Sigella said:

Its doubtful. I would love it if it happens but I dont think it will, since asoiaf magic theme seems to be "the last breath of magic". Valyria had its doom. Giants, the cotf and direwolves are going extinct.

Ditto. I don't think Daenerys's dragons will live long enough to lay eggs. Besides the end of magic, the Oldtown Maesters' Conspiracy has been implicated in the decline and extinction of dragons in Westeros; they won't let Dany's dragons persist - should they ever arrive in Westeros.

(And yes, I'm particularly depressive this morning - don't hesitate to provide information to contradict me!)

4 hours ago, Sigella said:

I don't think so.  Daenerys and her dragons is the rebirth of House Targaryen.  The entire story is about the Targaryens.

2 hours ago, zandru said:

Ditto. I don't think Daenerys's dragons will live long enough to lay eggs. Besides the end of magic, the Oldtown Maesters' Conspiracy has been implicated in the decline and extinction of dragons in Westeros; they won't let Dany's dragons persist - should they ever arrive in Westeros.

(And yes, I'm particularly depressive this morning - don't hesitate to provide information to contradict me!)

The maesters can always be roasted.  Medium-rare, if you please.  And their precious Citadel will look like a half-used candle if they try to mess with Daenerys Stormborn. 

12 hours ago, MaesterFredson said:

Let's hope not.  Call me old fashioned, but the idea of a small, priveledged class ruling because they have the means to unleash cataclysmic violence all the while proclaiming themselves benevolent and divinely selected to rule is rather upsetting.  I'm rooting for the dragons to fuck off to the west of westeros or east of the shadowlands and never return to the realm of men again.

5 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

If Dany is the Mother of Dragons somebody has to be the Mother of Direwolves.  I believe that someone is Arya, the Mother of Direwolves.  I don't exactly know how this will play out but perhaps Arya will live long enough to have a daughter who can also bond with the wolves.  One other way is Arya dies and becomes Nymeria, mates with Ghost, and they have little direwolves.   The dragons are the children of Dany and Drogo.  Maybe the future direwolves will be the children of Arya and Jon.  Neither Arya nor Jon are shy about breaking rules.  They could mate as wolves and have pups.  They can both die, become direwolves, and have pups that way too.

I'm groaning now because I find this both upsetting and plausible.  BTW your alias gave me a good chuckle.

2 hours ago, Mordred said:

The entire story is about the Targaryens.

:huh:

...Sounds as though you've only read GRRM's short stories, the Dunk and Egg novellas, The Princess and the Queen, and The Rogue Prince. You do realize that there are five other, published, full length novels that tell an elaborate, and wide encompassing story that does not revolve around just the Targaryens, don't you?

1 hour ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Let's hope not.  Call me old fashioned, but the idea of a small, priveledged class ruling because they have the means to unleash cataclysmic violence all the while proclaiming themselves benevolent and divinely selected to rule is rather upsetting.  I'm rooting for the dragons to fuck off to the west of westeros or east of the shadowlands and never return to the realm of men again.

I'm groaning now because I find this both upsetting and plausible.  BTW your alias gave me a good chuckle.

7 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

They are bound to lay eggs and bring forth more dragons.  The dragons balance out the others.  Now with that said, I think the dragons did not go extinct in the far east beyond Asshai.  The dragons are like the direwolves and the white walkers.  They live in the fringes and the frontiers of the known world. 

I can actually totally see that. Would also play into the shadow of a man like a wolf and one wreathed in flames dancing. The Starks and Targaryens. (Also plays into what i keep saying about the Dance of Dragons being really about, as Rhaenyra is part stark.) 

Would be a nice parrallel to Dany and a great twist to find the story really coming down to those two going at it some how. 

Remember the rules Varamyr mentions also, this is likely how dragons and direwolves were bonded to humans. By warging them and mating in their flesh. 

As far as Jon and Arya idk, but i like the idea of Arya as mother of Direwolves. Though im not sure at her age where the books start, that she is old enough to have hatched/birthed the mother Direwolf they found dead with pups. 

Which by the way, for how big they are, what fricking deer killed this thing??? Deer typically run, they're prey. 

1 hour ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

:huh:

...Sounds as though you've only read GRRM's short stories, the Dunk and Egg novellas, The Princess and the Queen, and The Rogue Prince. You do realize that there are five other, published, full length novels that tell an elaborate, and wide encompassing story that does not revolve around just the Targaryens, don't you?

George himself told people everything is about Jon and Dany. And that is pretty much obvious. Everything else is very advanced, very detailed window-dressing that has spun out of control.

And Daenerys and Jon Snow are Targaryens.

As to the original question:

I hope and expect there to be some more dragon eggs. Both ancient ones (like the ones that Vermax supposedly left at Winterfell) as well as new ones, produced by either Viserion or Rhaegal (or both) in the new future.

If we got some new dragon hatchlings things could get more interesting and confusing - they would likely not be worth much as weapons, but they could be used as symbols of powers, as a way to confuse people and lead them astray.

Euron, Aegon, Stannis, or all of them ending up with a dragon that wasn't Drogon, Rhaegal, or Viserion wouldn't be uninteresting.

I also like the idea that the burning of Winterfell and the spilled blood there caused a dragon egg there to hatch back in ACoK. Such a hatchling could have grown to considerable size in the last months and would make a fine mount for Jon Snow. If he had a dragon before Daenerys even got to Westeros he could indeed become a great power in his own right.

And as he himself says - a dragon could come in really handy at the Wall.

26 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

George himself told people everything is about Jon and Dany. And that is pretty much obvious. Everything else is very advanced, very detailed window-dressing that has spun out of control.

Yeah? Do you have a link to this quote by George? As far as I recall, he considers there to be five main protagonists, and only one of those are a Targaryen; Jon is, and always will be a true Snow/Stark, despite his half Targ blood. 

I Know you think this story is about the all mighty Targs, and their "rightful" claim to rule the Seven Kingdoms, but you'll see (and be mighty disappointed, I presume), when the cold winds blow, and a time for Wolves has come.

3 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

Yeah? Do you have a link to this quote by George? As far as I recall, he considers there to be five main protagonists, and only one of those are a Targaryen; Jon is, and always will be a true Snow/Stark, despite his half Targ blood. 

I cannot really quote that here. I'd research stuff George told the guys making the show when they filmed the first season in relation to the present Jon/Dany plot in the show.

If Jon is Rhaegar's son he is a Targaryen (bastard). This is a patriarchal society.

Or do you see Robert, Stannis and Renly as Estermonts? Is Sam a Florent? Tywin a Marbrand? Mace a Redwyne? The Stark children all Tullys?

3 minutes ago, Blackwater Revenant said:

I Know you think this story is about the all mighty Targs, and their "rightful" claim to rule the Seven Kingdoms, but you'll see (and be mighty disappointed, I presume), when the cold winds blow, and a time for Wolves has come.

What wolf, exactly? Arya is a child-assassin who stands no chance against either wights or Others, Sansa isn't even a warrior, Rickon isn't even a character, and Bran is a tree-man.

They will all play their parts but they are not the main protagonists of the story. Those are the people who get most of the chapters - and those are Jon, Dany, and Tyrion.

52 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I hope and expect there to be some more dragon eggs. Both ancient ones (like the ones that Vermax supposedly left at Winterfell) as well as new ones, produced by either Viserion or Rhaegal (or both) in the new future.

If we got some new dragon hatchlings things could get more interesting and confusing - they would likely not be worth much as weapons, but they could be used as symbols of powers, as a way to confuse people and lead them astray.

Euron, Aegon, Stannis, or all of them ending up with a dragon that wasn't Drogon, Rhaegal, or Viserion wouldn't be uninteresting.

I also like the idea that the burning of Winterfell and the spilled blood there caused a dragon egg there to hatch back in ACoK. Such a hatchling could have grown to considerable size in the last months and would make a fine mount for Jon Snow. If he had a dragon before Daenerys even got to Westeros he could indeed become a great power in his own right.

Dear god I hope you are right. It would be sooooo cool.

12 hours ago, Sigella said:

I would love for them to lay eggs and have those eggs hatch.  I want more dragons for our brave heroine.

12 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

If we are to believe Bran's seeing eye, yeah, there are dragons on the other side of Asshai.  Coincidentally, our masked friend very much want Daenerys Targaryen to go to Asshai.  For truth, she says,   Maybe not.  For dragons, I say.  Everybody seeking Daenerys want power because fire is power and nobody has more firepower than the mother of dragons.  

The mother of direwolves is a good one because the appearance of the wolves happened shortly before the comeback of the dragons.  Arya is a good guess to be the wolf bitch to fulfill that role with Jon being the wolf sire of their future cubs.  I think the sexual relations will not happen in human form.  Both Jon and Arya will die as humans and warg into their wolves at the last second.  They will mate as animals and live on as animals.

Perhaps Viserion already has...

"I thought there were two," the big man said.

Viserion. Yes. Where is Viserion? The prince lowered his torch to throw some light into the gloom below. He could see the green dragon ripping at the smoking carcass of the sheep, his long tail lashing from side to side as he ate. A thick iron collar was visible about his neck, with three feet of broken chain dangling from it. Shattered links were strewn across the floor of the pit amongst the blackened bones—twists of metal, partly melted. Rhaegal was chained to the wall and floor the last time I was here, the prince recalled, but Viserion hung from the ceiling. Quentyn stepped back, lifted the torch, craned his head back.

For a moment he saw only the blackened arches of the bricks above, scorched by dragonflame. A trickle of ash caught his eye, betraying movement. Something pale, half-hidden, stirring. He' s made himself a cave, the prince realized. A burrow in the brick. The foundations of the Great Pyramid of Meereen were massive and thick to support the weight of the huge structure overhead; even the interior walls were three times thicker than any castle's curtain walls. But Viserion had dug himself a hole in them with flame and claw, a hole big enough to sleep in.

The Dragontamer, Dance 68

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

As to the original question:

I don't think that is going to happen. It is unlike GRRM for a dragon to appear out of nowhere. Also, I don't think a dragon would have gone unnoticed; GRRM would at least have peppered hints in the Northern chapters such as claimed sightings. 

That dragon would also be untrained.

As to the main topic, I think one of the dragons will undergo gender transition as animals that can change sex, do so when placed in single sex environments. You just need to dragons to create a clutch of eggs.

Archived