Any two characters have a chat

Lucius Lovejoy

Right so if you could pick any two characters in the series to meet and have a discussion, who would they be and why?  I would want to see Jaime and Stannis interact - it would be like the Jaime/Blackfish parle, only more so.  Stannis' open contempt and annoyance versus Jaime pushing his buttons to amuse himself.  Robert Baratheon and Daenerys is my backup choice.

Jon Snow and Daenery- oh, that one turned out a lot more tepid than we all imagined.

Sansa and Arya post-character devel- oh, no, that one turned out a little stilted too.

Seriously, though, Jorah Mormont and Jeor Mormont. I imagine they'd have a lot of shit to work through (plus, Jorah's minor character status has left him relatively unbutchered, and Jeor Mormont was mercifully dead by Season 5, so they wouldn't just be trading catchphrases for t-shirts and mugs)

Lady Stoneheart and Jon Snow. Oh, ups, sorry. Did that hurt ? 

How about Jeyne Pool and Sansa ? Oh, wait.

Maybe Jorah and Jon about Longclaw. Oh wait. It happened. It was pointless. 

So counterquestion: What is the point about chats in the show ? Give me some awesome scenes. As if I would any longer watch the show for story. 

8 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Seriously, though, Jorah Mormont and Jeor Mormont. I imagine they'd have a lot of shit to work through (plus, Jorah's minor character status has left him relatively unbutchered, and Jeor Mormont was mercifully dead by Season 5, so they wouldn't just be trading catchphrases for t-shirts and mugs)

That would be an interesting discussion.  I would have liked to see that.  In the show, I imagine we would have a discussion between Jorah and Lyanna Mormont.

I would like it if any of the schemers who are currently dead found out that honorable Ned Stark hid the heir to the Iron Throne.  I could imagine Tywin's or Littlefinger's reaction to that news. 

I would have also liked it that Aemon knew that Jon was his relative and that Dany was coming North to help.  He would have been very proud.

I could also imagine Viserys reaction in finding out that he wasn't the important one.  It was Dany.  Who brought forth the dragons and has an army of Unsullied and Dothraki fighting for her.  Also, he is not the heir to the Iron Throne, it is Jon. 

5 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Bran: He loved him, and he loved him. Ghost's rebellion was based on a lie.

That is not what I meant. Bran has to narrate how Bran wargs Hodor and Aerys and how he talks to himself. Fire, Hodor, Fire, Hodor. And then he losses concentration. The camera zooms out. You see Aerys sitting on the throne and before the film blends out, one single worde leaves his mouth: "Hodor". And Bran starts crying, because he has fucked it up again. Meanwhile Hodor burns down the stable. 

@Beardy the Wildling and @SirArthur you are right about mid-S5 through current character chats being pretty terrible - the "beyond the wall" episode had a few really eye roll inducing interactions.  But there were a few excellent face offs before, ones that didn't even happen in the books - think Tywin and Olenna late in S3, or Oberyn and Varys in S4.  Even Joffrey and Jaime's S4 chat was pretty great.  Bronn used to be good until he became written to exclusively be light hearted and casually vulgar (this started in the Blackwater episode).  I wish GRRM was still around to help consult on the writing.

10 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

the "beyond the wall" episode had a few really eye roll inducing interactions

The episode where Jon met Gendry was really eye-rolling too. Gendry magically starting to give a fuck about lineage and deciding that because Bobby B was his dad (his dad he never hinted at trying to imitate beforehand) and Sean Bean was Jon Snow's dad, they should automatically become bezzies.

Heck, even Kit Harrington looks a little uncomfortable at Gendry's aggressive overtures of forced friendship, like even he can't hide how hideously unnatural it all is.

6 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

The episode where Jon met Gendry was really eye-rolling too. Gendry magically starting to give a fuck about lineage and deciding that because Bobby B was his dad (his dad he never hinted at trying to imitate beforehand) and Sean Bean was Jon Snow's dad, they should automatically become bezzies.

Heck, even Kit Harrington looks a little uncomfortable at Gendry's aggressive overtures of forced friendship, like even he can't hide how hideously unnatural it all is.

Gendry was trying very hard to be Jon's best friend.  Come on.  You already have a Stark bestie and that is Arya.  You mentioned your father who you never met and Ned Stark who you met for 5 minutes, yet you don't mention the one person you traveled with for months who considered you family. 

Jaime Lannister and post-fall Bran. Both have changed so much. Before, Jaime probably doesn’t care that he pushed a little boy out a high window, but now he’d likely feel guilty and try to apologise. Ironically, Bran now probably doesn’t give a damn.

———

Bran: Last time we saw each other was in that tower. I saw what you did to your sister. 

Jaime: Yeah ... sorry about that ... we don’t choose who we love. It’s beyond our control.

Bran: And she was so beautiful.

Jaime: Okay ... I think I’ll leave now

Bran: And you were so beautiful.

Jaime: ...

On 01/03/2018 at 7:22 PM, goldenmaps said:

Gendry was trying very hard to be Jon's best friend.  Come on.  You already have a Stark bestie and that is Arya.  You mentioned your father who you never met and Ned Stark who you met for 5 minutes, yet you don't mention the one person you traveled with for months who considered you family. 

Come on, goldenmaps, stop living in the past, man! Live in the present moment, dude! It's not like what happened in Season 2 matters any more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived