Goodkind 55: Back in the Dick Life Again

Myshkin

12 hours ago, TheRevanchist said:

A colleague of mind who sits directly opposite to me has Sword of Truth as her favorite fantasy saga.

What should I say to her?

"I understand you have only ever read one fantasy saga. Allow me to introduce you to Steven Erikson. He also has evil chickens."

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

"I understand you have only ever read one fantasy saga. Allow me to introduce you to Steven Erikson. He also has evil chickens."

I don’t remember evil chickens in MBotF... but I’m sure they are at least 30,000 years old.

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I don’t remember evil chickens in MBotF... but I’m sure they are at least 30,000 years old.

Reaper's Gale (or maybe Midnight Tides), Tehol starts ranting about some chickens because he thinks they are evil and Bugg is like "WTF?" in response. IIRC, Abercrombie also had an evil chicken interlude in one of the First Law stand-alones.

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Reaper's Gale (or maybe Midnight Tides), Tehol starts ranting about some chickens because he thinks they are evil and Bugg is like "WTF?" in response. IIRC, Abercrombie also had an evil chicken interlude in one of the First Law stand-alones.

Didn't Cosca have a noble goat at one point too?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 4:35 PM, redjako said:

I would love if those were intentional riffs on Goodkind. But lets be honest, chickens ARE evil looking assholes :)

Erikson and Abercrombie were both very, very well aware of the Goodkind Kerfuffle back in the day (as was GRRM, but I don't think he's put in a dig in any of his books yet), so yes, I'd consider it were very likely that both were deliberate.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, Werthead said:

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, Rhom said:

Didn't Cosca have a noble goat at one point too?

I remember the noble goat from Best Served Cold, but I don't remember an evil chicken in the series.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 4:02 PM, Darth Richard II said:

...what

On 5/23/2018 at 1:53 PM, locura said:

In the last thread, I dissected Lex Luthor as the perfect example of an objectivist character and how they behave when they don't have the narrative on their side, including directly connecting their villainy to several beliefs they hold that come straight out of objectivist works. I promised last thread that the next target would be Walter White, found that someone else had already done it, then moved on to Light Yagami from Death Note. Objectivists are a unique brand of evil so the only other character I can think of who is one without being meant to critique Objectivism like Andrew Ryan is Eric Cartman who thinks that what heroes do is make the world a better place for themselves.

On 5/24/2018 at 3:08 AM, TheRevanchist said:

A colleague of mind who sits directly opposite to me has Sword of Truth as her favorite fantasy saga.

What should I say to her?

I find that it's best to not act like a dick and just politely suggest some other authors they should try.  I think Harry Potter is utter garbage, but it's because I've read hundreds of much better books.  It's hard to make people dislike something just because you say so...it's better to help them make their own discoveries without tearing them down in the process.

1 hour ago, Spaßvogel said:

I find that it's best to not act like a dick and just politely suggest some other authors they should try.  I think Harry Potter is utter garbage, but it's because I've read hundreds of much better books.  It's hard to make people dislike something just because you say so...it's better to help them make their own discoveries without tearing them down in the process.

Trying to decide if there was an intentional pun in that first sentence... 

On 6/19/2018 at 11:14 PM, Scuttlebutt said:

In the last thread, I dissected Lex Luthor as the perfect example of an objectivist character and how they behave when they don't have the narrative on their side, including directly connecting their villainy to several beliefs they hold that come straight out of objectivist works. I promised last thread that the next target would be Walter White, found that someone else had already done it, then moved on to Light Yagami from Death Note. Objectivists are a unique brand of evil so the only other character I can think of who is one without being meant to critique Objectivism like Andrew Ryan is Eric Cartman who thinks that what heroes do is make the world a better place for themselves.

Honestly, I personally don't think they're unique. The only difference between them and say, Sauron, is that they hide behind "freedom". There's saying about people like this: Scratch a "libertarian" and you have a Fascist. IMO, that's what Richard and Kahlan really are.

As for Eric Cartman, are you referring to the South Park character? Because if so, then isn't SP a satire of pretty much everything?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 1:51 PM, Dora Vee said:

Honestly, I personally don't think they're unique. The only difference between them and say, Sauron, is that they hide behind "freedom". There's saying about people like this: Scratch a "libertarian" and you have a Fascist. IMO, that's what Richard and Kahlan really are.

As for Eric Cartman, are you referring to the South Park character? Because if so, then isn't SP a satire of pretty much everything?

I disagree, with other forms of evil, they'll make excuses for their selfishness or try to hide it behind some goal that does result in the benefit of others if it gets fulfilled. Objectivists are the only ones I know of who can still believe themselves a righteous person despite being fully aware that what they do is only for their own benefit and that they view others as only valuable in how they can be used to their benefit.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:20 AM, Scuttlebutt said:

Objectivists are the only ones I know of who can still believe themselves a righteous person despite being fully aware that what they do is only for their own benefit and that they view others as only valuable in how they can be used to their benefit.

I don't think you need to be an Objectivist to think that way. Narcissists, for example, think that way and they have a variety of beliefs.  Most evil people don't see themselves as evil, so it's expected that someone like them describe would view themselves as righteous. And far be it for me to defend Objectivists, but a lot of such people would find villains in their own group abhorrent. Even Ayn Rand did not favor those who sought power over others.  Or so she claimed.

As for villains hiding behind something else/making excuses, the ones who are like Melkor, Modru, or Shaitan certainly didn't. Hell, Machine from 8mm didn't. Then again, those were the sorts who KNEW they were evil and just plain didn't care. I don't think they count as Objectivist though as they probably didn't buy into or care about capitalism. As for a goal benefiting others, I consider those kind of villains a bit more "grey area" than actually evil, but that's just me.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys I haven't been around for a while. Just came back and saw this wonderful thread. I don't know when exactly (at least 4ish years ago), there was some work done by someone here, perhaps a Lemming of Discord, perhaps not, but it was a satirical critique to one of Tairy's books....or at least part of one of his books. It was so hilarious and ridiculous. I wanted to share with a friend but can't seem to find it now. Or if there were more, that works as well. Anyone know of what I am referring too and able to point me in the right direction? 

Thanks and take care! 

16 minutes ago, Wik said:

Ok guys I haven't been around for a while. Just came back and saw this wonderful thread. I don't know when exactly (at least 4ish years ago), there was some work done by someone here, perhaps a Lemming of Discord, perhaps not, but it was a satirical critique to one of Tairy's books....or at least part of one of his books. It was so hilarious and ridiculous. I wanted to share with a friend but can't seem to find it now. Or if there were more, that works as well. Anyone know of what I am referring too and able to point me in the right direction? 

Thanks and take care! 

We’ve done a lot of satirizing and parodying of Goodkind around here, the latest round of which you’ll find one thread back. Google Goodkind 54. You’ll find my critique of Death’s Mistress starting on page 11, and Maester Llama’s critique of Warheart starting on page 15.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:58 AM, Wik said:

Thanks and take care! 

Well, there is this satirical gem.

"Hissing, hackles rising, the chicken's head rose.

Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her.  It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway.  

"Shoo" Kahlan heard herself whisper.  

There wasn't enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore., so she couldn't tell if it had the dark spot.  But she didn't need to see it.

"Dear spirits help me" she prayed under her breath.

The bird let out a slow chicken cackle,.  It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't.  In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken.  It looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud Peoples' chickens.  But this was no chicken.

This was evil manifest."

• 2 months later...

Archived