Goodkind 55: Back in the Dick Life Again

Myshkin

• 2 months later...

His latest book has been out for more than two weeks. TWO WEEKS! WHERE IS THE REVIEW DAMMIT!! :P

The synopsis has me giggling in anticipation already hehe...

Siege of Stone (Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles #3)

The Sorceress Nicci, the Wizard Nathan Rahl, and the young swordsman Bannon remain in the legendary city of Ildakar after a great internal revolt has freed the slaves and brought down the powerful wizards council. But as he fled the city, capricious Wizard Commander Maxim dissolved the petrification spell that had turned to stone the invading army of General Utros fifteen centuries earlier. Now, hundreds of thousands of half-stone soldiers from the ancient past have awakened, led by one of the greatest enemy commanders in history.

Nicci, Nathan, and Bannon have to help Ildakar survive this unbreakable siege, using all the magical defenses of the legendary city. Even as General Utros holds Ildakar hostage and also unleashes his incredible army on the unsuspecting Old World, an equally powerful threat arises out in the sea.

Nicci knows the battle won't remain in the city; if she can't stop this threat, two invincible armies can sweep across the Old World and destroy D'Hara itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Goodkind's first science fiction story The Sky People was released in January:

https://www.harpercollins.com.au/9781789544015/the-sky-people/

New Richard & Kahlan novella The Scribbly Man (Children of D'Hara #1) will be published in April:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scribbly-Man-Children-DHara-Novella/dp/1789541182/

From the internationally bestselling author of the Sword of Truth series comes a new Richard and Kahlan novella.

"They are the monsters under the bed when you are little, the shape just caught out of the corner of your eye when you thought you were alone, the shadow of something in a dark corner that surprises you and then isn't there. They stop you dead with a knot of unexpected terror in the pit of your stomach. We have all seen fleeting glimpses of them. Never long enough to see them as I saw them, but it was them. I recognized it the instant I saw it.

"We've all seen flashes of them, the dark shadow just out of sight. They could briefly terrify us before but never hurt us because they came from so far distant. They were never able to fully materialize in our world so we saw only transient glimpses of them, the shape of them if the light was just right, if the shadows were deep enough . . . if you were afraid enough.

"I think that the star shift has brought us closer to their realm so that they now have the power to step into our world and hurt us." ― Kahlan Amnell.

11 hours ago, Jussi said:

"They are the monsters under the bed when you are little, the shape just caught out of the corner of your eye when you thought you were alone, the shadow of something in a dark corner that surprises you and then isn't there.

I wonder if the shape that you can't quite see is the shape of a chicken that is not a chicken?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 9:42 PM, williamjm said:

I wonder if the shape that you can't quite see is the shape of a chicken that is not a chicken?

I must have read the evil chicken passage about a dozen times, and it still cracks me up.  It's a comic masterpiece.

• 1 month later...

The Children of D'Hara is going to be released first as episodes/novellas, and later as collections. These will be published by Head of Zeus in both UK and US. Maybe Goodkind has finally abandoned Tor Books?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Dhara-Terry-Goodkind/dp/1789541336/

'The Sword of Truth series was my masterwork. Yet, life for these characters goes on after the conclusion of that series. For years readers have been asking about Richard and Kahlan's children. This is that story.'
TERRY GOODKIND.

In 1994 Wizard's First Rule introduced Richard Cypher, a young woodsman seeking answers and vengeance in the aftermath of his father's murder, and Kahlan Amnell, a mysterious young woman pursued by a bloodthirsty tyrant's assassins.

The Sword of Truth is one of the most ambitious fantasy series ever written. It was a decades-long masterwork that has been translated into 20 languages and sold 26 million copies. After 16 volumes and one novella, it concluded in 2016 with Warheart.

The Children of D'Hara picks up immediately after the conclusion of the Sword of Truth series. This is the first collected volume of the series, featuring episodes 1-5:
1. The Scribbly Man.
2. Hateful Things.
3. Wasteland.
4. Witch's Oath.
5. Into Darkness.

Ahhhh, the GK threads....I too teared up going back and re-treading some of the old Tairy magic.   I realized I didn’t keep track of any of what was happening with Dicky Rahl and Klan (and that they were still putting asses is seats), or with the author himself.  And then I realized that my brain had fooled itself and that for the past 13 years, I had just been assuming anything about Steven Seagal I saw in the news was what was happening with TG.

I am kind of disappointed to learn that he’s just writing his own fanfic, now, instead of hangin with Putin (who by his actions, is a practiced objectivist)

On 11/10/2018 at 9:02 AM, Werthead said:

This thread is a thing of pure, unvarnished and absolute beauty, especially when Lemmings of Discord from long ago come out of hiding and contribute.

I teared up.

Megan_Dawn, right? With her pleading of 'be kind', which ends up with her getting cornered into stating outright that she would prefer that people be kind instead of civil, rather than civil instead of kind.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Jussi said:

The next book in the Nicci Chronicles will be published by Tor in January 2020

And look at that cover art! The minimalism, the slickness of execution! The absence of any blemishes! ;)

The fact that they're still giving the 26 million sales figure for the series is weird. It had sold 25 million by ten years ago. Has the series really only sold 1 million more copies in ten years with multiple new books coming out?

I know the series dropped massively in sales after the last book came out (not Warheart, which a retcon, but Confesser, IIRC), but apparently Goodkind is still one of the Tor's biggest-selling authors (if a long way behind Sanderson now, who has apparently actually overtaken him in overall sales despite Goodkind having an 11-year head start), so that seems unlikely.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

[A]pparently Goodkind is still one of the Tor's biggest-selling authors (if a long way behind Sanderson now, who has apparently actually overtaken him in overall sales despite Goodkind having an 11-year head start), so that seems unlikely.

I've been out of the publishing world for a bit of a while now, so my knowledge of how the stats are collected and aggregated is a bit rough. Is there anyone doing the data analysis out there that would be able to provide accurate and/or up to date numbers?

Archived