Myshkin

Goodkind 55: Back in the Dick Life Again

A colleague of mind who sits directly opposite to me has Sword of Truth as her favorite fantasy saga.

What should I say to her?

12 hours ago, TheRevanchist said:

A colleague of mind who sits directly opposite to me has Sword of Truth as her favorite fantasy saga.

What should I say to her?

"I understand you have only ever read one fantasy saga. Allow me to introduce you to Steven Erikson. He also has evil chickens."

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

"I understand you have only ever read one fantasy saga. Allow me to introduce you to Steven Erikson. He also has evil chickens."

I don’t remember evil chickens in MBotF... but I’m sure they are at least 30,000 years old.

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I don’t remember evil chickens in MBotF... but I’m sure they are at least 30,000 years old.

Reaper's Gale (or maybe Midnight Tides), Tehol starts ranting about some chickens because he thinks they are evil and Bugg is like "WTF?" in response. IIRC, Abercrombie also had an evil chicken interlude in one of the First Law stand-alones.

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Reaper's Gale (or maybe Midnight Tides), Tehol starts ranting about some chickens because he thinks they are evil and Bugg is like "WTF?" in response. IIRC, Abercrombie also had an evil chicken interlude in one of the First Law stand-alones.

Didn't Cosca have a noble goat at one point too?

On 6/4/2018 at 4:35 PM, redjako said:

I would love if those were intentional riffs on Goodkind. But lets be honest, chickens ARE evil looking assholes :)

Erikson and Abercrombie were both very, very well aware of the Goodkind Kerfuffle back in the day (as was GRRM, but I don't think he's put in a dig in any of his books yet), so yes, I'd consider it were very likely that both were deliberate.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, Werthead said:

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, Rhom said:

Didn't Cosca have a noble goat at one point too?

I remember the noble goat from Best Served Cold, but I don't remember an evil chicken in the series.

Edited by SeanF

On 5/22/2018 at 4:02 PM, Darth Richard II said:

...what

On 5/23/2018 at 1:53 PM, locura said:

In the last thread, I dissected Lex Luthor as the perfect example of an objectivist character and how they behave when they don't have the narrative on their side, including directly connecting their villainy to several beliefs they hold that come straight out of objectivist works. I promised last thread that the next target would be Walter White, found that someone else had already done it, then moved on to Light Yagami from Death Note. Objectivists are a unique brand of evil so the only other character I can think of who is one without being meant to critique Objectivism like Andrew Ryan is Eric Cartman who thinks that what heroes do is make the world a better place for themselves.