Rank your 2018 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

Not this thread again!!! :P

Welcome to the 3rd annual thread, where you get to list the shows you are currently watching. As a reminder, or for new people, please attempt to list only the new stuff that's airing this year, and attempt to list all the shows you watch, or at least do a top 10 or 20.

Not much to list still so early in the year, but I have a few shows that are done. My list begins with:

1. Altered Carbon - another excellent entry from Netflix; a solid SF show, with good action, visuals, acting, and interesting premise, though the plot isn't always so good, and from the show's thread here, book fans might not be too enthused with some of the changes (totally understandable)
  2. Star Trek Discovery - better than I expected, and I am cheating here, because though there were only 6 episodes (so far) in 2018, I've watched the entire first season this year; a bit disappointing towards the end, but quite entertaining in the middle
  3. Britannia - very disappointing; a show probably made by people on drugs, for people on drugs; a show about the Roman conquest of Britain, that oddly feels too British (kinda like how Guy Richie treated his King Arthur movie); I expect it will end near the bottom of my list by the end of the year

Also currently watching, but too early to list: all those silly CW superhero shows, to which I've added newcomer Black Lightning, as well as Homeland, Agents of SHIELD (on break), The Walking Dead, Star Wars Rebels, and iZombie, which is starting tonight.

I was wondering when th2nd e thread for 2018 would be posted!

So far the only seasons I've finished have been those that started in 2017. Some of these aired just a couple of episodes in 2018, but I don't see it as cheating - these are the rules, whatever aired this year is fair game - and these are basically the final judgments of the entirety of these seasons, which one cannot make unril the season is over:

1. The Good Place - continued to be forking amazing, season 2 fully lived ul to and even improved on the great season 1 twist. One of the best current shows.

2. The Gifted - ended up having a pretty solid season 1.

3. Runaways - OK, if a bit disappointing 

4. Star Trek: Discovery - I really wanted to like this show, but it turned out quite mediocre. Too twist-oriented, and the twists were too predictable - and one of them actually even made things less interesting.

Currently watching: The Alienist (fantastic), Agents of SHIELD (continues to be strong so far - currently on a break, returns on Friday), Black Lightning (OK, but feels a bit by the numbers), The X-Files (meh). Also started Altered Carbon, and American Crime Story but haven't caught up with the latest episodes.

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

@Risto you requested this.

Requested I have... :D

OK, per usual, the spring is much more exciting for me, as my best TV shows usually start airing in March/April and I think this year will be no exception. That said, I the beginning of the year was exciting such as and I am looking forward to finishing some shows.

Now, let we start with the list:

1. Altered Carbon - I doubt this one will remain n.1 to the end of the year, but it was truly a great show to kick this year off. It had its numerous issues, but on second thought, all the problematic elements looked far less problematic. The premise was interesting enough, the cast was excellent and overall, the story wasn't as messy as one would immediately jump to conclude. There were indeed moments of great TV-making

2. The Chi Season 1 - this one is all over the place. At one second, I like it. The next one, it seems so derived and boring. IDK, I will know when the season ends.

Too early for rankings: Grey's anatomy, The Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, Will & Grace

Coming soon: Counterpart, Black Lightning, American Crime Story... The Good Fight, The Americans, Jessica Jones, The Handmaiden's Tale (I think these 4 are all coming out in March)

Currently watching: "Brothers and Sisters" Why, oh God, why? I always had this perverse guilty pleasure thing with American soap-operish family TV drama, but this one takes the cake. The cast - Sally Field, Matthew Rhys, Callista Flockhart, Rob Lowe, Rachel Griffiths is truly outstanding. The story is so hilarious but there are moments of genuine family drama... I am the worst, amirite? :D 

Still early but here's my list

1. Altered Carbon - Very slick action sci fi show with some great visuals and some good acting and characters.

2. Gold rush - been watching since season 1, quit watching after like season 2 because i couldn't stand Hoffman. Started watching again three seasons ago and have been hooked since. Basically only watch to see Hoffman fail miserably and Parker succeed. If you ever want to see an actual relationship on reality tv, not made for tv drama crap, watch this show from the beginning and see how Parker and his grandpa are with eachother. Not ashamed to say I cried once watching this stupid reality show.

3. Inkmaster - I like the show, fast forward the made up drama and just watch the art that's created.

4. The Gifted - compared to it's wannabe twin Inhumans, this was a masterpiece! But by itself it was a decent attemp at a mutant show that I will keep watching.

5. The walking dead premiered this week, wasn't a bad episode. For me this could be a make it or break it season.

6. TBD! I am sure there are more things I am watching but can't get them off top of my head tonight.  Big Bang Theory, Sheldon, Kevin can Wait.... 

• 3 weeks later...

Updating my list with a few more shows:

1. Altered Carbon - another excellent entry from Netflix; a solid SF show, with good action, visuals, acting, and interesting premise, though the plot isn't always so good, and from the show's thread here, book fans might not be too enthused with some of the changes (totally understandable)
  2. Jessica Jones - not as good as season 1, but still pretty good
  3. Star Trek Discovery - better than I expected, and I am cheating here, because though there were only 6 episodes (so far) in 2018, I've watched the entire first season this year; a bit disappointing towards the end, but quite entertaining in the middle
  4. Star Wars Rebels - a pretty good ending to this show, but there were only 6 episodes in 2018; being a cartoon for kids, it still had its silly moments
  5. Britannia - very disappointing; a show probably made by people on drugs, for people on drugs; a show about the Roman conquest of Britain, that oddly feels too British (kinda like how Guy Richie treated his King Arthur movie); I expect it will end near the bottom of my list by the end of the year
  6. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow (not Black Lightning, which so far has been better) - these 3, and probably Supergirl, will stay at the bottom, and I'm lumping them together because they are equally bad; these shows have always been campy, yet fun, but the writing has gotten lazier and lazier.

There are a bunch of shows coming at the end of March and in April that I'm looking forward to: AMC's The Terror, Krypton and a new season of The Expanse on SyFy, the new season of Legion on FX.

• 2 weeks later...

1. The Good Place

2. The Alienist - I really enjoyed this one. A great combination of dark atmospheric thriller, period drama and character drama. It's almost tied for the first place, but TGP has to be first for being so original.

a gap

3. The Gifted

an even bigger gap

4. Runaways 

5. Star Trek: Discovery 

Now I hope I'll finally have the time to see Jessica Jones season 2 (work and other issues have prevented me, I've just managed to finish my S1 rewatch and start S2), and then catch up with the rest of the latest X-Files season, and start the last season of The Americans.

So Far, 

1- Counterpart

2- Altered Carbon

3- The Alienist

4- The Path

5- Jessica Jones

6- Sneaky Pete

7- The Chi

8- The Magicians

9- The Looming Tower

10- The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Honorable Mention.... Falling Water... Shoot the Messenger ...  Damnation... Waco

Will make this list, somewhere....but too soon to assign a number... Hap & Leonard  ...the Americans ... McMafia ... The Terror ... The Walking Dead... Strike Back.... Biggie & Tupac ... Happy! .... Billions... Ash v Evil Dead

1. Altered Carbon

2. Survivor

3. Jessica Jones S2

4. Big Bang

5. The Walking Dead

6. Gold Rush

7. Inkmaster

8. Silicon Valley

9. The Gifted

Waiting for Legion S2, Westworld S2, Sneaky Pete S2….

• 3 weeks later...
  1. The Good Fight Season 2
  2. Altered Carbon
  3. Jessica Jones Season 2
  4. The Chi Season 1
  5. Will & Grace Season 9
  6. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  7. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  8. Young Sheldon Season 1

I can't say I enjoyed JJ this year as much as I did watching Season 1. IDK, it was OK, but nothing special. But, the show I want to rave is TGF. This is one spinoff that truly worked. Season 2 brought some craziness (paralleling Trump administration) and Diane Lockhart continues to be one of my favorite characters on TV. And there is something indefinitely capturing seeing poised, stoic, graceful Diane Lockhart being twirled into professional and business chaos. I really like TGF and drama-wise, it may be one of those undiscovered gems of American TV scene.

As for my Thursday roster (5-8), GA still works for me. Ask me why, and answer you won't get. TBBT stopped being funny a while ago and I spend more time pitying Sheldon's family than laughing at his quirkiness. The one that does make me smile is W&G.

I started watching "Lost in Space" and "Terror" :D

P.S. "The Expanse" and "The Americans" will have to wait half a season to rate them :D

Also, do we count Electric Dreams in 2017, or in 2018?

1. The Good Place

2. The Alienist 

3. Jessica Jones

These 3 have been my favorite by some margin.

4. The Gifted

- gap -

5. Runaways 

6. Star Trek: Discovery 

I really enjoyed season 2 of Jessica Jones. Sure, it's not quite as good as season 1, but very few TV seasons are. I loved how different it was from season 1 - it began a bit slower, it did not have the same amount of tension throughout, but instead it had more focus on exploration of all the characters. What I particularly liked was 1) that everything was in shades of grey, with flawed characters making questionable and bad decisions but everyone (except that one minor jerk from a couple of episodes later on) being understandable and sympathetic to an extent at least, and 2) that I genuinely wasn't sure what would happen and what the characters would do, right until the end - which rarely happens in a comic book show (I don't think it has happened in any other Netflix Marvel show season). 

This and The Punisher season 1 definitely gave me back faith in the Netflix Marvel shows, after a few weak seasons, largely due to the focus on the underwhelming and badly written villainous organization that was the Hand.

Got a few updates, too (in red):

2. Jessica Jones - not as good as season 1, but still pretty good
  3. Star Trek Discovery - better than I expected, and I am cheating here, because though there were only 6 episodes (so far) in 2018, I've watched the entire first season this year; a bit disappointing towards the end, but quite entertaining in the middle
  4. Star Wars Rebels - a pretty good ending to this show, but there were only 6 episodes in 2018; being a cartoon for kids, it still had its silly moments
  5. The Walking Dead - oh boy, oh boy, the Negan arc is done, and I may be done with it, too. 
  6. Black Lightning - the first season followed in the footsteps of Arrow and The Flash with a solid start; unfortunately, I think it will continue to follow in the footsteps of those others shows by continuing to degrade; the finale wasn't that great, and the main villain is very cartoonish
  7. Britannia - very disappointing; a show probably made by people on drugs, for people on drugs; a show about the Roman conquest of Britain, that oddly feels too British (kinda like how Guy Richie treated his King Arthur movie); I expect it will end near the bottom of my list by the end of the year
  8. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow - these 3, and probably Supergirl, will stay at the bottom, and I'm lumping them together because they are equally bad; these shows have always been campy, yet fun, but the writing has gotten lazier and lazier.

1. The Good Fight Season 2
  2. Altered Carbon
  3. Jessica Jones Season 2
  4. Lost in Space Season 1
  5. The Chi Season 1
  6. Will & Grace Season 9
  7. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  8. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  9. Young Sheldon Season 1

So, I devoured Lost in Space in the course of 2 days. The premise is rather interesting, although the final product is not what one would expect it to be. IDK whether there'll be Season 2, but even with questionable science, shaky characters and plot that sometimes bordered with insanity, it still makes a good weekend fun :D And that's the best thing that can be said about it. 

1. Altered Carbon
  2. Survivor
  3. Silicon Valley
  4. Lost in Space, not done with it but as of now it fits here
  5. Big Bang Theory
  6. Jessica Jones S2
  7. Gold Rush
  8. Inkmaster
  9. The Gifted
  10. The Walking Dead. This dropped due to that stupid last scene

Haven’t started Legion, WestWorld, or Sneaky Pete season two’s .

• 2 weeks later...

Time for more updates (in red):

2. Lost in Space - this was a surprisingly fun and engaging show; it had fairly good characters, interesting episodic plots, and overarching narrative, and great visuals; it had silly moments, too, unfortunately, which is why I don't expect it to stay at #2 for the rest of the year; however, I think there is the potential for a great series here, so looking forward to season 2 
  3. Jessica Jones - not as good as season 1, but still pretty good
  4. Homeland - a solid season, which continues to surprise me as I was ready to give it up 3 seasons ago; I think keeping it relevant to present day situations and events is what it's keeping it alive; it had the same slow burn start as the previous 2 seasons, with good build ups in the middle, and a strong conclusion, if peppered with farcical elements.
  5. Star Trek Discovery - better than I expected, and I am cheating here, because though there were only 6 episodes (so far) in 2018, I've watched the entire first season this year; a bit disappointing towards the end, but quite entertaining in the middle
  6. Star Wars Rebels - a pretty good ending to this show, but there were only 6 episodes in 2018; being a cartoon for kids, it still had its silly moments
  7. The Walking Dead - oh boy, oh boy, the Negan arc is done, and I may be done with it, too. 
  8. Black Lightning - the first season followed in the footsteps of Arrow and The Flash with a solid start; unfortunately, I think it will continue to follow in the footsteps of those others shows by continuing to degrade; the finale wasn't that great, and the main villain is very cartoonish
  9. Designated Survivor - show is not done yet, but it reached it's 20th episode recently; it continues to represent a form of escapism for me, but it is quite silly, and I wish they didn't have to completely make up countries for their narratives.
  10. Britannia - very disappointing; a show probably made by people on drugs, for people on drugs; a show about the Roman conquest of Britain, that oddly feels too British (kinda like how Guy Richie treated his King Arthur movie); I expect it will be end near the bottom of my list by the end of the year
  11. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow - these 4, will stay at the bottom, and I'm lumping them together because they are equally bad; these shows have always been campy, yet fun, but the writing has gotten lazier and lazier.

Soon to be ranked: Krypton, iZombie, and Agents of SHIELD

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

1. Lost in Space - this was a surprisingly fun and engaging show; it had fairly good characters, interesting episodic plots, and overarching narrative, and great visuals; it had silly moments, too, unfortunately, which is why I don't expect it to stay at #2 for the rest of the year; however, I think there is the potential for a great series here, so looking forward to season 2 
  2. Designated Survivor - show is not done yet, but it reached it's 20th episode recently; it continues to represent a form of escapism for me, but it is quite silly, and I wish they didn't have to completely make up countries for their narratives.

Soon to be ranked: Krypton, iZombie, and Agents of SHIELD

Edited yours just for space, damn numbers changed of course!

Lost in Space, we lined up the same on this one. It was a fun show with great visuals, yeah a bit corny at times but a really good PG show adults can enjoy.

Designated Survivor...really liked S1..S2 not so much, quit watching it and looks like I may have made the right decision.

There were a few that I thought showed promise but fell out and of course the names escape me now..The FBI cadet show, S1 was ok but just got worse...The tattoo FBI show. S1 I thought was pretty good and different, but then all downhill from there, Gotham, fish maloney killed it for me......And a show I loved only got one season, Limitless. damn universe isn't fair!

13 hours ago, dbunting said:

Lost in Space, we lined up the same on this one. It was a fun show with great visuals, yeah a bit corny at times but a really good PG show adults can enjoy.

Designated Survivor...really liked S1..S2 not so much, quit watching it and looks like I may have made the right decision.

There were a few that I thought showed promise but fell out and of course the names escape me now..The FBI cadet show, S1 was ok but just got worse...The tattoo FBI show. S1 I thought was pretty good and different, but then all downhill from there, Gotham, fish maloney killed it for me......And a show I loved only got one season, Limitless. damn universe isn't fair!

I continue to watch Designated Survivor because the main character is nothing like the real POTUS, thus this show is escapism for me. But it's not a very good show. 

I agree on Limitless. 

On 4.5.2018. at 2:10 AM, dbunting said:

The FBI cadet show - Quantico? (I don't watch it)

The tattoo FBI show - Blindspot  (I've only recently started it and I'm two episodes away from finishing season 1)

Archived