Rank your 2018 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

I wish i enjoyed Altered Carbon as much as you lot, distinctly 'meh' for me so far, i'm really having to struggle through it, but if you asked me why i would have no idea what it is that is bothering me.

It's pretty early still, but here's where I'm at:

1. The Expanse: Only 4 episodes in, but this season has maintained the quality of season 2 so far, and is maybe even better

2. The Good Place: A fantastic and innovative second season let down only by a kind of weak last few episodes, as the show became slightly too schmaltzy

3. Jessica Jones: A good, if flawed, second season

4. Star Trek: Discovery: The second half of the season was a huge disappointment for me, particularly the parallel universe shenanigans  

Shows I'll be watching and am looking forward to: Westworld Season 2, Better Call Saul season 4, Arrested Development Season 5

1. Handmaid's Tale Season 2
  2. The Good Fight Season 2
  3. The Expanse Season 3
  4. Altered Carbon
  5. Jessica Jones Season 2
  6. Lost in Space Season 1
  7. The Chi Season 1
  8. Will & Grace Season 9
  9. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  10. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  11. Young Sheldon Season 1

Handmaiden's Tale goes to 1st place, and I will be closely watching whether The Americans Season 6 will overthrow it. I have watched the 3 episodes of S02 of THT and it is just as difficult to watch as the 1st season. 

As for The Expanse, it is becoming one of my favorites. Even the unpopular segments and additions like Anna are OK with me.

Coming in next weeks: The Americans Season 6, Killing Eve.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:51 PM, Risto said:
  1. Handmaiden's Tale Season 2
  2. The Good Fight Season 2
  3. The Expanse Season 3
  4. Altered Carbon
  5. Jessica Jones Season 2
  6. Lost in Space Season 1
  7. The Chi Season 1
  8. Will & Grace Season 9
  9. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  10. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  11. Young Sheldon Season 1

Handmaiden's Tale goes to 1st place, and I will be closely watching whether The Americans Season 6 will overthrow it. I have watched the 3 episodes of S02 of THT and it is just as difficult to watch as the 1st season. 

As for The Expanse, it is becoming one of my favorites. Even the unpopular segments and additions like Anna are OK with me.

Coming in next weeks: The Americans Season 6, Killing Eve.

*cough* It's Handmaid's Tale. 

Hasn't it released just 3 episodes so far? 
Though it seems people are putting shows that are ongoing here. The Expanse also has had 4 episodes. I'm not going to put anything on my list until it finishes its current season.

So, 4 more episodes of The Americans - until the series finale (I can't believe it will be over!), 2 more episodes of Agents of SHIELD (hopefully not the last season), and I still have 3 more episodes to finally finish The X-Files (it's so uninspired, it's probably going to be finishing last).
I need to catch up with The Handmaid's Tale, The Expanse, Legion, and I've started to finally watch Westworld season 1 so I hope I'll see season 2 later.

But right now, I'm mostly focused on rewatching The Americans, which I want to finish before the series finishes (I'm near the end of season 1 now), which means I don't have the time to catch up with all those other show.

@Annara Snow it's fine if people put ongoing shows on their list; that way they can maybe change their positions as the shows progress. I only have one show on my list that's not done, as I felt like waiting for most shows to end. Plus, you could have a show that ends a season in the spring, and then resumes in the fall, and the quality between them can be different.

On that note, I'll add another show I finished to my list:

1. Altered Carbon - another excellent entry from Netflix; a solid SF show, with good action, visuals, acting, and interesting premise, though the plot isn't always so good, and from the show's thread here, book fans might not be too enthused with some of the changes (totally understandable)
  2. Lost in Space - this was a surprisingly fun and engaging show; it had fairly good characters, interesting episodic plots, and overarching narrative, and great visuals; it had silly moments, too, unfortunately, which is why I don't expect it to stay at #2 for the rest of the year; however, I think there is the potential for a great series here, so looking forward to season 2
  3. Cobra Kai - may not be the best show I watch this year, but I'm definitely calling it the surprise of the year. I almost didn't watch it, but being only 25 min episodes, I dove in; it turned out to be an excellent show, with well rounded characters and many layered themes.  
  4. Jessica Jones - not as good as season 1, but still pretty good
  5. Homeland - a solid season, which continues to surprise me as I was ready to give it up 3 seasons ago; I think keeping it relevant to present day situations and events is what it's keeping it alive; it had the same slow burn start as the previous 2 seasons, with good build ups in the middle, and a strong conclusion, if peppered with farcical elements.
  6. Star Trek Discovery - better than I expected, and I am cheating here, because though there were only 6 episodes (so far) in 2018, I've watched the entire first season this year; a bit disappointing towards the end, but quite entertaining in the middle
  7. Star Wars Rebels - a pretty good ending to this show, but there were only 6 episodes in 2018; being a cartoon for kids, it still had its silly moments
  8. The Walking Dead - oh boy, oh boy, the Negan arc is done, and I may be done with it, too. 
  9. Black Lightning - the first season followed in the footsteps of Arrow and The Flash with a solid start; unfortunately, I think it will continue to follow in the footsteps of those others shows by continuing to degrade; the finale wasn't that great, and the main villain is very cartoonish
  10. Designated Survivor - show is not done yet, but it reached it's 20th episode recently; it continues to represent a form of escapism for me, but it is quite silly, and I wish they didn't have to completely make up countries for their narratives.
  11. Britannia - very disappointing; a show probably made by people on drugs, for people on drugs; a show about the Roman conquest of Britain, that oddly feels too British (kinda like how Guy Richie treated his King Arthur movie); I expect it will end near the bottom of my list by the end of the year
  12. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow - these 4 will stay at the bottom, and I'm lumping them together because they are equally bad; these shows have always been campy, yet fun, but the writing has gotten lazier and lazier.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

*cough* It's Handmaid's Tale. 

OH, thanks... I must have typed it without thinking...

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Hasn't it released just 3 episodes so far? 
Though it seems people are putting shows that are ongoing here. The Expanse also has had 4 episodes. I'm not going to put anything on my list until it finishes its current season.

Yeah, but I just wanted to put it n.1 slot ASAP. In four weeks, as you said, The Americans will be over, and I thought the show deserves to spend some time on n.1 place. As for putting ongoing shows, it's OK... After couple of episodes, people get the feeling of what they may expect from the season. If that changes, the list is edited, so no problem. 

Several updates:

1. The Expanse - despite being only 5 episodes in, this continues to have the quality of the first 2 seasons, and it's improving (too bad stupid SyFy didn't see that way); I expect this show's (possibly) final season to end near the top of my list. :(
  2. Altered Carbon - another excellent entry from Netflix; a solid SF show, with good action, visuals, acting, and interesting premise, though the plot isn't always so good, and from the show's thread here, book fans might not be too enthused with some of the changes (totally understandable)
  3. Lost in Space - this was a surprisingly fun and engaging show; it had fairly good characters, interesting episodic plots, and overarching narrative, and great visuals; it had silly moments, too, unfortunately, which is why I don't expect it to stay at #2 for the rest of the year; however, I think there is the potential for a great series here, so looking forward to season 2
  4. Cobra Kai - may not be the best show I watch this year, but I'm definitely calling it the surprise of the year. I almost didn't watch it, but being only 25 min episodes, I dove in; it turned out to be an excellent show, with well rounded characters and many layered themes.
  5. The Terror - not done yet, but close; I don't think my opinion will change; a well produced and acted show, but it' plot can be dreadfully slow, but each episode featured moments of high, well constructed intensity; it's one of the few shows that I would not be able to binge watch, nor would I care to revisit.  
  6. Jessica Jones - not as good as season 1, but still pretty good
  7. Homeland - a solid season, which continues to surprise me as I was ready to give it up 3 seasons ago; I think keeping it relevant to present day situations and events is what it's keeping it alive; it had the same slow burn start as the previous 2 seasons, with good build ups in the middle, and a strong conclusion, if peppered with farcical elements.
  8. Star Trek Discovery - better than I expected, and I am cheating here, because though there were only 6 episodes (so far) in 2018, I've watched the entire first season this year; a bit disappointing towards the end, but quite entertaining in the middle
  9. Star Wars Rebels - a pretty good ending to this show, but there were only 6 episodes in 2018; being a cartoon for kids, it still had its silly moments
  10. iZombie - plenty of episodes now to judge it; I am starting to like it less and less; some of the episodic stories are becoming sillier, and the Seattle arc is not quite as strong as what we got before.
  11. Krypton - an ok show, with an interesting premise, if mostly mediocre execution; the majority of the characters, including the protagonist, are not very interesting. In light of SyFy's fuckery, I don't plan to return for a next season.
  12. Troy: Fall of a City - a mostly disappointing show, with a few good moments; despite being on Netflix, and only 8 episodes, it took me a long time to finish it; one of the first epics in recorded history deserves more than this modest retelling
  13. The Walking Dead - oh boy, oh boy, the Negan arc is done, and I may be done with it, too. 
  14. Black Lightning - the first season followed in the footsteps of Arrow and The Flash with a solid start; unfortunately, I think it will continue to follow in the footsteps of those others shows by continuing to degrade; the finale wasn't that great, and the main villain is very cartoonish
  15. Designated Survivor - show is not done yet, but it reached it's 20th episode recently; it continues to represent a form of escapism for me, but it is quite silly, and I wish they didn't have to completely make up countries for their narratives.
  16. Britannia - very disappointing; a show probably made by people on drugs, for people on drugs; a show about the Roman conquest of Britain, that oddly feels too British (kinda like how Guy Richie treated his King Arthur movie); I expect it will end near the bottom of my list by the end of the year
  17. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow - these 4 will stay at the bottom, and I'm lumping them together because they are equally bad; these shows have always been campy, yet fun, but the writing has gotten lazier and lazier.

Agents of SHIELD has only 1 episode left, but I hesitate to rank it. A lot is riding on the finale.

Also watching Legion and Westworld, but not enough episodes, and both are too weird to really decide. I will probably wait until season completion.

Update:

1. The Good Place (S2)
  2. The Alienist 
  3. Jessica Jones (S2)
  4. Agents of SHIELD (S5) - I really didn't like what they pulled in the finale - it is such a cheap cop-out. This season started so strong that it seemed like it may match even season 4 - the first half was probably the strongest first half of any AoS season, but from episode 15 things started to do downhill. At the time, I thought episode 14 was great, but then they really failed to properly follow up and address what happened. It's like they wanted to be edgy by having a character do something awful and have a mental health issue/identity crisis, and by having a lot of conflict within the team, but then they couldn't deal with it properly, so they flushed a lot of the development down the toilet with what they did in the finale. They also didn't really explain the mechanics of the main plot, though I guess they can now at least do it next season. Usually AoS seasons become stronger around episode 15 or 16 and have a strong finish - this was the only other than season 2 where the opposite happened. I thought about putting it below The Gifted, which had a more coherent storyline, but then again, it never made me that invested in characters and the story as AoS does and wasn't that entertaining, plus season 5 of AoS still had some really strong episodes that actually aired this year (episode 8 in particular - that one may be in my top 10 for the entire show).
  5. The Gifted
  6. Runaways
  7.  Star Trek: Discovery
  8.  The X-Files (S11) - oh god, that was so uninspired. Just dragging it out, because people still want to see Mulder and Scully, so anything X-Files is always going to be watched and make money. Carter once again proves he's terrible at writing continuing storylines. He's also terrible at writing romance. A couple of standalone episodes were decent, and the conversation at the end of episode 9 made it all not a total disaster (of course, it was an episode not written by Chris Carter). Discovery is bad, but at least it feels like it's trying and may get better in the future.

I have a rule that I don't put shows whose season I haven't finished yet (or that haven't aired all their episodes this year) on the list, so The Americans season 6 is only going to be added after the finale, but I can already say it will be the firm #1 and tough to beat.  I'm rewatching show (I'm halfway through season 2, so it will be a tough task to finish it all in 10 days - at least I want to finish the rewatch of the first 4 seasons before the finale), so I don't have the time for most of the other shows. I'm still watching The Expanse, because I'm caught up on it, but season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale, Legion and Westworld will have to wait until I finish The Americans.

And since I've dropped The Walking Dead completely, I doubt that anything will be lower ranked than The X-Files. Maybe one of the Arrowverse shows, if/when I get caught up on them (I'm watching them as background noise and I'm still in the early last seasons of these shows). 

So Far, 

1- Westworld

2- Counterpart

3- The Expanse

4- Altered Carbon

4a- the Handmaid's Tale

5-Bosch

6- The Chi

7- the Alienist

8- Sneaky Pete

9-- Jessica Jones

10- The Americans

Honorable Mention....  The Magicians.... The Path... Lost in Space... The Looming Tower.... The Assassination of Gianni Versace....Falling Water... Shoot the Messenger ...  Damnation... Waco ... McMafia... The Terror.... Hap & Leonard... Happy!...Strike Back... Biggie & Tupac.... Ash v Evil Dead.... Billions .... Safe... Britannia.... The Walking Dead .... Rellik... Krypton .... Killing Eve

Added AoS, and bumped The Terror down one spot, because it's such a depressing show.

1. The Expanse - this continues to have the quality of the first 2 seasons, and it's improving (too bad stupid SyFy didn't see that way)
  2. Altered Carbon - another excellent entry from Netflix; a solid SF show, with good action, visuals, acting, and interesting premise, though the plot isn't always so good, and from the show's thread here, book fans might not be too enthused with some of the changes (totally understandable)
  3. Lost in Space - this was a surprisingly fun and engaging show; it had fairly good characters, interesting episodic plots, and overarching narrative, and great visuals; it had silly moments, too, unfortunately, which is why I don't expect it to stay at #2 for the rest of the year; however, I think there is the potential for a great series here, so looking forward to season 2
  4. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - another good season, but maybe not quite as good as season 4; the characters continued to have solid interactions, its action tends to be better than shows of similar caliber, and it had a highly enjoyable finale, that could have construed a decent series finale, if the show hadn't been renewed.
  5. Cobra Kai - may not be the best show I watch this year, but I'm definitely calling it the surprise of the year. I almost didn't watch it, but being only 25 min episodes, I dove in; it turned out to be an excellent show, with well rounded characters and many layered themes.
  6. Jessica Jones - not as good as season 1, but still pretty good
  7. The Terror - a well produced and acted show, but its plot can be dreadfully slow, though each episode featured moments of high, well constructed intensity; it's one of the few shows that I would not be able to binge watch, nor would I care to revisit. It is very depressing. 
  8. Homeland - a solid season, which continues to surprise me as I was ready to give it up 3 seasons ago; I think keeping it relevant to present day situations and events is what it's keeping it alive; it had the same slow burn start as the previous 2 seasons, with good build ups in the middle, and a strong conclusion, if peppered with farcical elements.
  9. Star Trek Discovery - better than I expected, and I am cheating here, because though there were only 6 episodes (so far) in 2018, I've watched the entire first season this year; a bit disappointing towards the end, but quite entertaining in the middle
  10. Star Wars Rebels - a pretty good ending to this show, but there were only 6 episodes in 2018; being a cartoon for kids, it still had its silly moments
  11. iZombie - I am starting to like it less and less; some of the episodic stories are becoming sillier, and the Seattle arc is not quite as strong as what we got before. The show was renewed for a final season, I think, so I may return to it.
  12. Krypton - an ok show, with an interesting premise, if mostly mediocre execution; the majority of the characters, including the protagonist, are not very interesting. In light of SyFy's fuckery, I don't plan to return for the next season.
  13. Troy: Fall of a City - a mostly disappointing show, with a few good moments; despite being on Netflix, and only 8 episodes, it took me a long time to finish it; one of the first epics in recorded history deserves more than this modest retelling
  14. The Walking Dead - oh boy, oh boy, the Negan arc is done, and I may be done with it, too. 
  15. Black Lightning - the first season followed in the footsteps of Arrow and The Flash with a solid start; unfortunately, I think it will continue to follow in the footsteps of those others shows by continuing to degrade; the finale wasn't that great, and the main villain is very cartoonish
  16. Designated Survivor - show is not done yet, but it reached it's 20th episode recently; it continues to represent a form of escapism for me, but it is quite silly, and I wish they didn't have to completely make up countries for their narratives.
  17. Britannia - very disappointing; a show probably made by people on drugs, for people on drugs; a show about the Roman conquest of Britain, that oddly feels too British (kinda like how Guy Richie treated his King Arthur movie); I expect it will end near the bottom of my list by the end of the year
  18. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow - these 4 will stay at the bottom, and I'm lumping them together because they are equally bad; these shows have always been campy, yet fun, but the writing has gotten lazier and lazier.

1. Handmaid's Tale Season 2
  2. Killing Eve Season 1
  3. The Good Fight Season 2
  4. The Expanse Season 3
  5. Altered Carbon
  6. Jessica Jones Season 2
  7. Lost in Space Season 1
  8. The Chi Season 1
  9. Will & Grace Season 9
  10. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  11. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  12. Young Sheldon Season 1

"Killing Eve" was absolute joy to watch. I gave it a slight edge over "The Good Fight" just because it was insane dynamics between Sandra Oh and Jodie Corner. 

And tomorrow comes the finale of "The Americans" :D 

Update, after the series finale of The Americans:

1. The Americans (S6) - this was never really in doubt. This is one of the greatest shows of all time, and this season has been knocking it out of the park. But I doubt anything will manage to dethrone it, though there will be a bunch of shows to watch, as soon as I finish my rewatch of the entire show. I'm still not sure which season of The Americans is the best - this one is certainly up there, together with 3 and 4.
  2. The Good Place (S2)
  3. The Alienist 
  4. Jessica Jones (S2)
  5. Agents of SHIELD (S5)
  6. The Gifted
  7. Runaways
  8.  Star Trek: Discovery
  9.  The X-Files (S11) 

1. The Americans Season 6
  2. Handmaid's Tale Season 2
  3. Killing Eve Season 1
  4. The Good Fight Season 2
  5. The Expanse Season 3
  6. Altered Carbon
  7. Jessica Jones Season 2
  8. Lost in Space Season 1
  9. The Chi Season 1
  10. Will & Grace Season 9
  11. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  12. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  13. Young Sheldon Season 1

There are TV shows and there are works of art. And "The Americans" was just that. The last episode was emotionally gut-wrenching and made a point in how actors can elevate drama without CGI, loud dramatic moments or speeches. All you need is a sincere, human drama. 

I’m so stupidly jealous that’s the US is a week ahead with The Americans because now you all know how it ends. And I’ve also had to stay away from the discussion thread so as not to be spoiled (and those of you who have watched will know why that was such a concern this season!)

Reading this thread, it seem like I have a lot of TV to catch up on. My list is:

1. Westworld.

That's the list.

I still have to catch up on the final two seasons of The Leftovers, All of The Handmaids tale and I am eagerly awaiting the fourth season of Better Call Saul.  

I don't see Into the Badlands on any of these lists.  Any opinions? I've heard good things about it.

23 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’m so stupidly jealous that’s the US is a week ahead with The Americans because now you all know how it ends. And I’ve also had to stay away from the discussion thread so as not to be spoiled (and those of you who have watched will know why that was such a concern this season!)

It is so important to stay unspoiled for this, because, dear, it is everything you didn't know it could be. You come into it with expectations and it just smashes them and elevates it to a whole new level.

3. Killing Eve Season 1
  4. The Good Fight Season 2
  5. The Expanse Season 3
  6. Altered Carbon
  7. Jessica Jones Season 2
  8. Lost in Space Season 1
  9. The Chi Season 1
  10. Will & Grace Season 9
  11. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  12. 13 Reasons Why Season 2
  13. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  14. Young Sheldon Season 1

13RW was such a disappointment. It served no point and it was the worst kind of retcon. I feel like they didn't want to leave the characters, but this should have been done last year. One season kind of thing. I heard they got the 3rd season. I care for the kids, as they become more relatable this year, but overall, it is far from what it could have been.

3. Sense8 Finale
  4. Killing Eve Season 1
  5. The Good Fight Season 2
  6. The Expanse Season 3
  7. Altered Carbon
  8. Jessica Jones Season 2
  9. Lost in Space Season 1
  10. The Chi Season 1
  11. Will & Grace Season 9
  12. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  13. 13 Reasons Why Season 2
  14. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  15. Young Sheldon Season 1

This one was bittersweet. They needed more time and all they got was 2 and half hours of pure joy. Love conquers all, indeed. 

20 minutes ago, Risto said:
  3. Sense8 Finale
  4. Killing Eve Season 1
  5. The Good Fight Season 2
  6. The Expanse Season 3
  7. Altered Carbon
  8. Jessica Jones Season 2
  9. Lost in Space Season 1
  10. The Chi Season 1
  11. Will & Grace Season 9
  12. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  13. 13 Reasons Why Season 2
  14. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  15. Young Sheldon Season 1

This one was bittersweet. They needed more time and all they got was 2 and half hours of pure joy. Love conquers all, indeed. 

I haven't watched it, might not have time this weekend, but I don't think I'll add it to my list, simply because a movie length finale isn't quite the same as watching multitude episodes of a show. It'll get an honorable mention from me. :)

Archived