Rank your 2018 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I haven't watched it, might not have time this weekend, but I don't think I'll add it to my list, simply because a movie length finale isn't quite the same as watching multitude episodes of a show. It'll get an honorable mention from me. :)

I had the same dilemma, but I wanted Sense8 to be part of my list. The show with such positive note should be mentioned and celebrated in every possible way :D

• 3 weeks later...

And my list keeps getting bigger:

1. The Expanse - this continues to have the quality of the first 2 seasons, and it's improving (too bad stupid SyFy didn't it see that way)
  2. Westworld - yet another well done season, definitely in terms of the characters, the performances, and all the production aspects; however, the plot was more convoluted, but I thought it ended quite well, a mix of a potential series finale and intriguing set ups for what could be a very different season 3.
  3. Altered Carbon - another excellent entry from Netflix; a solid SF show, with good action, visuals, acting, and interesting premise, though the plot isn't always so good, and from the show's thread here, book fans might not be too enthused with some of the changes (totally understandable)
  4. Lost in Space - this was a surprisingly fun and engaging show; it had fairly good characters, interesting episodic plots, and overarching narrative, and great visuals; it had silly moments, too, unfortunately; I think there is the potential for a great series here, so looking forward to season 2
  5. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - another good season, but maybe not quite as good as season 4; the characters continued to have solid interactions, its action tends to be better than shows of similar caliber, and it had a highly enjoyable finale, that could have been a decent series finale, if the show hadn't been renewed.
  6. Cobra Kai - may not be the best show I watch this year, but I'm definitely calling it the surprise of the year. I almost didn't watch it, but being only 25 min episodes, I dove in; it turned out to be an excellent show, with well rounded characters and many layered themes.
  7. Jessica Jones - not as good as season 1, but still pretty good
  8. Legion - I didn't find it as good as season 1; season 1 gave us slow reveals, and got better over time; this season started strong, but diverged, events becoming murkier and murkier, often suffering from style over substance storytelling; I did enjoy the finale.
  9. The Terror - a well produced and acted show, but its plot can be dreadfully slow, though each episode featured moments of high, well constructed intensity; it's one of the few shows that I would not be able to binge watch, nor would I care to revisit. It is very depressing. 
  10. Homeland - a solid season, which continues to surprise me as I was ready to give it up 3 seasons ago; I think keeping it relevant to present day situations and events is what it's keeping it alive; it had the same slow burn start as the previous 2 seasons, with good build ups in the middle, and a strong conclusion, if peppered with farcical elements.
  11. Star Trek Discovery - better than I expected, and I am cheating here, because though there were only 6 episodes (so far) in 2018, I've watched the entire first season this year; a bit disappointing towards the end, but quite entertaining in the middle
  12. Star Wars Rebels - a pretty good ending to this show, but there were only 6 episodes in 2018; being a cartoon for kids, it still had its silly moments
  13. iZombie - I am starting to like it less and less; some of the episodic stories are becoming sillier, and the Seattle arc is not quite as strong as what we got before. The show was renewed for a final season, so I may return to it.
  14. Krypton - an ok show, with an interesting premise, if mostly mediocre execution; the majority of the characters, including the protagonist, are not very interesting. In light of SyFy's fuckery, I don't plan to return for the next season.
  15. Troy: Fall of a City - a mostly disappointing show, with a few good moments; despite being on Netflix, and only 8 episodes, it took me a long time to finish it; one of the first epics in recorded history deserves more than this modest retelling
  16. The Walking Dead - oh boy, oh boy, the Negan arc is done, and I may be done with it, too. 
  17. Black Lightning - the first season followed in the footsteps of Arrow and The Flash with a solid start; unfortunately, I think it will continue to follow in the footsteps of those others shows by continuing to degrade; the finale wasn't that great, and the main villain is very cartoonish
  18. Designated Survivor - it continues to represent a form of escapism for me, but it is quite silly, and I wish they didn't have to completely make up countries for their narratives.
  19. Britannia - very disappointing; a show probably made by people on drugs, for people on drugs; a show about the Roman conquest of Britain, that oddly feels too British (kinda like how Guy Richie treated his King Arthur movie); I expect it will end near the bottom of my list by the end of the year
  20. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow - these 4 will stay at the bottom, and I'm lumping them together because they are equally bad; these shows have always been campy, yet fun, but the writing has gotten lazier and lazier.

Honorable mention - Sense8 - all we got was a movie length finale, hence why it's not on the list proper; it was a good ending, wish there was more.

Next up, Luke Cage.

1. The Americans Season 6
  2. Handmaid's Tale Season 2
  3. Sense8 Finale
  4. Killing Eve Season 1
  5. The Expanse Season 3
  6. The Good Fight Season 2
  7. Altered Carbon
  8. Jessica Jones Season 2
  9. Lost in Space Season 1
  10. The Chi Season 1
  11. Will & Grace Season 9
  12. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  13. 13 Reasons Why Season 2
  14. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  15. Young Sheldon Season 1

The Expanse ended its run on SyFy and one could not have picked a better moment to continue it somewhere else. Finale of Season 3 was amazing and it brought the best of two worlds: intense drama and science fiction story. Looking forward to Season 4.

Luke Cage and Westworld coming next.

1. The Expanse - this continues to have the quality of the first 2 seasons, and it's improving (too bad stupid SyFy didn't it see that way)
  2. Westworld - yet another well done season, definitely in terms of the characters, the performances, and all the production aspects; however, the plot was more convoluted, but I thought it ended quite well, a mix of a potential series finale and intriguing set ups for what could be a very different season 3.
  3. Altered Carbon - another excellent entry from Netflix; a solid SF show, with good action, visuals, acting, and interesting premise, though the plot has some missteps, and from the show's thread here, book fans might not be too enthused with some of the changes (totally understandable)
  4. Lost in Space - this was a surprisingly fun and engaging show; it had fairly good characters, interesting episodic plots, and overarching narrative, and great visuals; it had silly moments, too, unfortunately; I think there is the potential for a great series here, so looking forward to season 2
  5. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - another good season, but maybe not quite as good as season 4; the characters continued to have solid interactions, its action tends to be better than shows of similar caliber, and it had a highly enjoyable finale, that could have been a decent series finale, if the show hadn't been renewed.
  6. Luke Cage - better than season 1, mainly because they kept the narrative going for the entire season, rather than break it in half, as most of these Netflix superhero shows have done; a lot of interesting turns for most of the main characters, hero and villains.
  7. Cobra Kai - may not be the best show I watch this year, but I'm definitely calling it the surprise of the year. I almost didn't watch it, but being only 25 min episodes, I dove in; it turned out to be an excellent show, with well rounded characters and many layered themes.
  8. Jessica Jones - not as good as season 1, but still pretty good
  9. Legion - I didn't find it as good as season 1; season 1 gave us slow reveals, and got better over time; this season started strong, but diverged, events becoming murkier and murkier, often suffering from style over substance storytelling; I did enjoy the finale.
  10. The Terror - a well produced and acted show, but its plot can be dreadfully slow, though each episode featured moments of high, well constructed intensity; it's one of the few shows that I would not be able to binge watch, nor would I care to revisit. It is very depressing. 
  11. Homeland - a solid season, which continues to surprise me as I was ready to give it up 3 seasons ago; I think keeping it relevant to present day situations and events is what it's keeping it alive; it had the same slow burn start as the previous 2 seasons, with good build ups in the middle, and a strong conclusion, if peppered with farcical elements.
  12. Star Trek Discovery - better than I expected, and I am cheating here, because though there were only 6 episodes in 2018, I've watched the entire first season this year; a bit disappointing towards the end, but quite entertaining in the middle
  13. Star Wars Rebels - a pretty good ending to this show, but there were only 6 episodes in 2018; being a cartoon for kids, it still had its silly moments
  14. iZombie - I am starting to like it less and less; some of the episodic stories are becoming sillier, and the Seattle arc is not quite as strong as what we got before. The show was renewed for a final season, so I may return to it.
  15. Krypton - an ok show, with an interesting premise, if mostly mediocre execution; the majority of the characters, including the protagonist, are not very interesting. In light of SyFy's fuckery, I don't plan to return for the next season.
  16. Troy: Fall of a City - a mostly disappointing show, with a few good moments; despite being on Netflix, and only 8 episodes, it took me a long time to finish it; one of the first epics in recorded history deserves more than this modest retelling
  17. The Walking Dead - oh boy, oh boy, the Negan arc is done, and I may be done with it, too. 
  18. Black Lightning - the first season followed in the footsteps of Arrow and The Flash with a solid start; unfortunately, I think it will continue to follow in the footsteps of those others shows by continuing to degrade; the finale wasn't that great, and the main villain is very cartoonish
  19. Designated Survivor - it continued to represent a form of escapism for me, but it is quite silly, and I wish they didn't have to completely make up countries for their narratives.
  20. Britannia - very disappointing; a show probably made by people on drugs, for people on drugs; a show about the Roman conquest of Britain, that oddly feels too British (kinda like how Guy Richie treated his King Arthur movie); I expect it will end near the bottom of my list by the end of the year
  21. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow - these 4 will stay at the bottom, and I'm lumping them together because they are equally bad; these shows have always been campy, yet fun, but the writing has gotten lazier and lazier.

Honorable mention - Sense8 - all we got was a movie length finale, hence why it's not on the list proper; it was a good ending, wish there was more.

THis is my first posting of a list this year so i suspect I forgot some stuff which I will add as and when I recall it. Also including Marvellous Mrs. Maisel because it was released so late last year amen  didn’t watch till January.

the Americans

Westworld

Marvellous Mrs Maisel

GLOW

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (debated whether to include it as technically it’s only half a season so far because of award shows gaming)

Luke Cage

iZombie

Jessica Jones

A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Shows I burned out on - 13 reasons why (second season was such a chore from what I watched) Legion (just found myself not following the plot at all) Britannia

Have The Handmaid’s Tale ready to watch and will watch the Expanse when I can access it.

1. The Americans (S6)
  2. The Good Place (S2)
  3. The Alienist 
  4. The Expanse (S3) - I finally found the time to see the two part finale (this has been my first weekend in over a month where I didn't have to work, yay!). The show keeps getting better each season. Season 3 was more like two mini seasons, and the finale was really good, except some plots and character development felt rushed.
  5. Jessica Jones (S2)
  6. Black Lightning - I stopped this after episode 5 when it was airing because I didn't have time and it didn't engage me that much, and finally binged episodes 6-13 recently. It got much better in these episodes. As far as superhero shows go, it's decent, it has engaging characters (and its own specific thing, and does successfully what it sets out to do. I didn't think I'd be putting it ahead of Agents of SHIELD, a show I actually love, but AoS season 5 disappointed me and turned into quite a mess after episode 14. While on the other hand, The Gifted did its plot pretty well, but didn't make the characters that engaging - and it took a while for it to really get interesting.
  7. Agents of SHIELD (S5)
  8. The Gifted
  9. Runaways
  10. Deception - an ABC attempt at another Castle is not a type a show I would normally make an effort to watch every week, and to be completely honest, I started watching it just because a certain actor was going to guest star in an episode. ;) It turned out to be much more fun and better than I expected, not actually a procedural as it was pretty focused on the ongoing mystery, the 'magic' parts were fun and the cast was likable (the main actor was good in a double role, it was good to see Lenore Crichlow again after Being Human, and Vinnie Jones was surprisingly funny)... But I didn't care for the forced attempt at romance between the leads later on, the chemistry was not there (do they always have to go for that cliche or the male and female lead falling in love?). A decent show to watch when you just want a bit of entertainment and nothing deep... But it got cancelled. Well, better shows have gotten cancelled, too. I actually saw the finale over a month ago, shortly after I watched the finale of The Americans, but didn't feel like posting another version of the list so soon just for this.
  11.  Star Trek: Discovery
  12.  The X-Files (S11)

Now I'm going to go catch up on Dietland and Cloak and Dagger, and then I can start Luke Cage and continue The Handmaid's Tale and Westworld (the latter I just started this year and only saw the pilot, so now I have 2 seasons to see), and Sharp Objects will quickly debut, too.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Now I'm going to go catch up on Dietland

Was this the one with Julianna Margulies? Be kind enough to let me know is it worthy of watching... I am a huge fan of Mrs Margulies's work.

14 minutes ago, Risto said:

Was this the one with Julianna Margulies? Be kind enough to let me know is it worthy of watching... I am a huge fan of Mrs Margulies's work.

Yes. I'm still not sure how I feel about some of the elements of the story, but it's certainly interesting. I like the main character, and Julianna Margulies' character is kind of an antagonist, or semi-antagonist, who seems one-dimensional at first, but has been showing some layers. 

2. The Handmaid's Tale Season 2
  3. Sense8 Finale
  4. Killing Eve Season 1
  5. The Expanse Season 3
  6. The Good Fight Season 2
  7. Altered Carbon
  8. Jessica Jones Season 2
  9. Lost in Space Season 1
  10. The Chi Season 1
  11. Will & Grace Season 9
  12. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  13. 13 Reasons Why Season 2
  14. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  15. Young Sheldon Season 1

So, THT ended its second season and it took second place (so far). Last year, I debated about whether it deserved n.1, but this year it seems that "The Americans" is in the league of its own. Moss really did amazing work. And given the work Strahovski and Bledel did in the final, it will be interesting to see how it will impact the voting for Best Supporting Actress in Emmy race (if, of course, both got nominated.) I feel that Strahovski had a winning tape in the finale, but for 2019 Emmys, it is ineligible. 

1. The Expanse: The best season of the show yet. It's even more impressive given that they were adapting a (IMO) pretty weak book in the second half of the season. This is the best space sci-fi on TV since the early seasons of BSG,

2. The Good Place: A fantastic and innovative second season let down only by a kind of weak last few episodes, as the show became slightly too schmaltzy

3. Westworld: Season 2 had some phenomenal moments and episodes that topped anything in season 1 (especially episodes four and eight), but as a whole it feels less than the sum of its parts. Too many pointless journeys without much payoff, too little development of secondary characters, too much trying to set up uninteresting mysteries instead of telling an interesting story. Still, the acting and cinematography are amazing, and when it's good, it's really good.

4. Jessica Jones: A good, if flawed, second season

5. Arrested Development: The first half of season 5 was pretty uneven. It's great to have the cast interacting again, and there are some hilarious episodes and gags, but especially in the early episodes, the pacing is pretty bad. In general episodes are too long, and there's still too much exposition. But the good moments make up for the bad.

6. Star Trek: Discovery: The second half of the season was a huge disappointment for me, particularly the parallel universe shenanigans 

7. Troy: Fall of a City. Wow, this was uninspired. How anyone can take the Iliad and the Trojan War myths and make them this boring and prosaic is beyond me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update because I remembered a couple of shows I had left off my original list. Dirk Gently...not sure when that originally aired but I dont think the UK got it until back end of 2017/beginning 2018 hence its place on the list

The Americans

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 3 (Part 2)

Westworld

Marvellous Mrs Maisel

GLOW

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Part 1

Godless

Luke Cage

iZombie

Jessica Jones

Dirk Gently

A Series Of Unfortunate Events

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on vacation, so I finally finished a couple of shows, a week or two late, and now I'll hopefully catch up on on other shows as well (Sharp Objects, Luke Cage, Westworld, The Handmaid's Tale...)

Shows are in season 1 or limited series, if not indicated otherwise.

1. The Americans (S6)
  2. The Good Place (S2)
  3. The Alienist 
  4. The Expanse (S3)
  5. Dietland - I was in two minds whether to put this above or below season 2 of Jessica Jones, which I also really liked. The show with his subject matter and style is very original, the main character and her story is really compelling, and Joy Nash is amazing in the role, but I wasn't sure how I felt about some other characters and elements of the plot, which seemed a bit caricatured, They did get more layered later on. However, my biggest problem with the show is that I'm confused how the show wants me to see 'Jennifer' - I tend to think that murder is a bad thing (a shocking proposition, I know ;) ) so this doesn't sit so well with me... We'll see how they'll deal with it in season 2.
  6. Jessica Jones (S2)
  7. Black Lightning
  8. Agents of SHIELD (S5)
  9. Cloak and Dagger - I used to think this one would be higher, maybe right below Jessica Jones. I liked the style, with the fantasy sequences dealing with Tyrone's and Tandy's really interesting powers, the topics, even the use of songs. But in the end, it proved a bit too inconsistent, with inconsistent characterizations and sloppy storytelling where some supporting characters and their fates seemed to get simply forgotten, and in some cases, I wasn't even sure if they died or not. I particularly had problems with those things in the finale. I'm not sure if I should put it below or above AoS season 5, since the latter disappointed me even more, but also did have some strong episodes. I might reshuffle the whole list later.
  10. The Gifted
  11. Runaways
  12. Deception
  13.  Star Trek: Discovery
  14.  The X-Files (S11)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 1:32 PM, dbunting said:
  1. Altered Carbon
  2. Survivor
  3. Silicon Valley
  4. Lost in Space, not done with it but as of now it fits here
  5. Big Bang Theory
  6. Jessica Jones S2
  7. Gold Rush
  8. Inkmaster
  9. The Gifted
  10. The Walking Dead. This dropped due to that stupid last scene

Haven’t started Legion, WestWorld, or Sneaky Pete season two’s .

Updated list

1. Sharp Objects. HBO, if you haven't seen it, start watching.

2. Altered Carbon

3. West World

Going to leave it at top 3 to not take up too much space, and really just to promote Sharp Objects!

Never got to watch Legion S2, dvr screwed up and deleted a few episodes, then I saw reviews where this season kind of went all Hannibal S3 route, so I guess I am not mad I missed it.

Updated list, because I've finished Sharp Objects. That's two Marti Noxon shows high on my list.

1. The Americans (S6)
  2. Sharp Objects (The one problem that the Sharp Objects had is that it's not a great murder mystery, in terms of surprising me - I figured out who the killer was after the first episode, and never changed my opinion - and I was right. Then again, is that a bad thing? I would have been upset if my theory hadn't been right, because it fit and had so many hints - having it be something else would upset me, as I'd be upset if GRRM got too high one day and decided that R+L=J was not true and wrote it that way. Surprise/shock value is overrated. However, as a drama - Sharp Objects is great. The characterization, the atmosphere, the acting, the visual style and music, the messed up family dynamic and the atmosphere of a small town, the dark corners of the psyche it goes to... it was all amazing.)
  3. The Good Place (S2)
  4. The Alienist 
  5. The Expanse (S3)
  6. Dietland
  7. Jessica Jones (S2)
  8. Black Lightning
  9. Agents of SHIELD (S5)
  10. Cloak and Dagger 
  11. The Gifted
  12. Runaways
  13. Deception
  14.  Star Trek: Discovery
  15.  The X-Files (S11)

2. The Handmaid's Tale Season 2
  3. Sense8 Finale
  4. Killing Eve Season 1
  5. The Expanse Season 3
  6. This is Us Season 2
  7. The Good Fight Season 2
  8. Altered Carbon
  9. Jessica Jones Season 2
  10. Lost in Space Season 1
  11. The Chi Season 1
  12. Will & Grace Season 9
  13. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  14. 13 Reasons Why Season 2
  15. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  16. Young Sheldon Season 1

So... great family drama - "This is Us". The premise is brilliant, it tackles family issues in a good way. It is poignant, dramatic and emotional when it needs to be. As an obese people, I fully understand Kate's struggles. Identity issues for Randall are done quite nicely and I understand why Sterling K. Brown is one of the favorites for Emmy. I thoroughly hated "blame the mother" dynamics, where poor Rebecca had to be blamed for everything. It reminded me of "Brothers & Sisters". It seems that American TV moms gets all the blame :D 

Next one, "Sharp Objects" and I hope to do "Westworld" marathon before autumn season kicks in.

This list is getting too long to keep writing short reviews. Added Jack Ryan and Iron Fist. Dropped Discovery further down in light of the plagiarism news.

1. The Expanse
  2. Westworld
  3. Altered Carbon
  4. Lost in Space
  5. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
  6. Luke Cage
  7. Cobra Kai
  8. Iron Fist
  9. Jessica Jones
  10. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
  11. Legion
  12. The Terror
  13. Homeland
  14. Star Wars Rebels
  15. iZombie
  16. Star Trek Discovery
  17. Krypton
  18. Troy: Fall of a City
  19. The Walking Dead
  20. Black Lightning
  21. Designated Survivor
  22. Britannia
  23. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow

• 4 weeks later...

The last "summer" show I watched was Hulu's The First. Not bad, but not really what I was hoping to see in a show with the premise of the first people to travel to Mars.

1. The Expanse
  2. Westworld
  3. Altered Carbon
  4. Lost in Space
  5. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
  6. Cobra Kai
  7. Luke Cage
  8. Iron Fist
  9. Jessica Jones
  10. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
  11. Legion
  12. The Terror
  13. Homeland
  14. The First
  15. Star Wars Rebels
  16. iZombie
  17. Star Trek Discovery
  18. Krypton
  19. Troy: Fall of a City
  20. The Walking Dead
  21. Black Lightning
  22. Designated Survivor
  23. Britannia
  24. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow

Fall shows are coming back, and season 2 of The Gifted is the one I'm currently watching.

Having been a part of this forum for a while now, I am more than a little surprised at the lack of love that Counterpart is getting in this thread... I know that entertainment is subjective, and I don't expect everyone to put it at the top like I did... but I'm not seeing it on anyone's list, even towards the bottom

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Having been a part of this forum for a while now, I am more than a little surprised at the lack of love that Counterpart is getting in this thread... I know that entertainment is subjective, and I don't expect everyone to put it at the top like I did... but I'm not seeing it on anyone's list, even towards the bottom

I'm planning to watch that after I finish Sharp Objects, which I just started last night.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:58 PM, Martini Sigil said:

If it's not on people's lists, it's because we haven't seen it. These lists are not top 10s or top 20s - we are supposed to rank everything from this year that we have seen.

I've planned to check out Counterpart since it first came out, but I got distracted by a bunch of different shows, so I've put it on hold. I have at least 10 different shows to catch up on before I get to it.

Archived