Rank your 2018 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

If it's not on people's lists, it's because we haven't seen it. These lists are not top 10s or top 20s - we are supposed to rank everything from this year that we have seen.

I've planned to check out Counterpart since it first came out, but I got distracted by a bunch of different shows, so I've put it on hold. I have at least 10 different shows to catch up on before I get to it.

To watch Counterpoint in the UK you have to first sign up to Amazon Prime and then pay extra to sign up to their Starz channel. The show sounds interesting, but not so interesting that I feel like effectively signing up to two different streaming services just to watch it.

1. Ozark – S2: A drama about the slow ebbing of an upper middle class couple’s morality as they descend into a life of crime. It’s better than Better Call Saul and a very close second to Breaking Bad. I’m curious to see how the Byrd family ends up and if it’s as tragic as what happened to the Whites.
  2. Altered Carbon – S1: Loved the Bladerunner, future noir tone of this show. It also did world building really well. I am looking forward to seeing more of this version of the future, even if it’s a completely different cast.
  3. New Girl – S7: The final season and I waited way too long to get these last eight episodes, but they were worth it. Probably the best ensemble comedy since Friends.
  4. End of the F*cking World - S1: Technically a 2017 show, but I didn’t binge it until 2018. Surprisingly good. It’s one of those shows that’s so good I almost don’t want a second season lest it taint the awesomeness that went down in season one.
  5. The Good Place – S2: No show makes me laugh and think about moral & philosophical conundrums simultaneously like this one. And the core cast of six characters is pure gold.
  6. The Orville – S1: I’m a huge ST:TNG fan, and pretty much every part of this show is a love letter to that series. I really wish Seth MacFarlane would’ve brought this to Paramount and had them set this up as cannon in the same universe as ST:TNG where The Orville was another Starfleet vessel going on missions at the same time as Picard and his crew on The Enterprise-D. Maybe even a crossover episode. Sorry, I’m digressing into fanboy fiction. Anyway, as it is, it’s still a damn fun sci-fi show.
  7. The Terror - S1: I loved the slow burn of this series. Superb cast, script, and direction. I’ve got a soft spot for historical British maritime drama, and the fact this was technically a “historical” horror series only made it more appealing to me. I spent a lot of time online reading up on the actual events and the books it was based on. Although I do wish I’d have read the book before seeing the series.
  8. Mindhunter – S1: Another “historical” drama with a solid cast and outstanding writing. Examining the darker aspects of the human mind is always more horrifying when the fiction is based on fact. Much like The Terror, this series shows that people are the scariest things out there.
  9. The Crown – S2: I actually watched some of the coverage of Prince William & Megan Markle’s wedding because it felt like I was getting a sneak peak at S5 of this show. Sad to see this cast go as they absolutely killed it.
  10. Star Wars Rebels – S4: Pretty great ending to what could’ve just been a place holder series. The last scene left the door open for some future stories with these characters that I’m very much looking forward to.
  11. Agents of SHIELD – S5: It’s only five seasons in, but it’s the granddaddy of modern MARVEL superhero TV. It was touch and go if S6 would happen, so the season finale could be a series finale, and I’d be pleased with how it all went down. But as it stands, I hope S6 will be the swan song this show & its characters deserves.
  12. Handmaid’s Tale – S2: This show continues to be a chilling dystopian(?) drama that leaves me emotionally drained more often than not after each episode. This season had some repetitive elements to it that left me feeling a bit frustrated, and I’m not really sure how much I like the season finale. (Also, much like West World S2, this season spends a lot of time making me really loathe certain characters and then expects me to turn on a dime about them in an episode and a half. WTF? No, fuck the Waterfords and the Aunts. Knives in the back for ‘em all!)
  13. American Vandal – S2: An extremely solid and satisfying number two. Comedy, suspense, drama, poop.
  14. The Toys That Made Us – S2: So 80z. Much nostalgia.
  15. GLOW – S2: An utterly satisfying follow up to the first season.
  16. Cloak & Dagger – S1: A superhero show set in my hometown of New Orleans that expertly blends the history and culture of the city into the plot and characters. There’s not a lot of superheroy action in the 10 episodes, but it’s got fantastic character development with the two leads.
  17. West World - S2: [Spoilers!] Mixed bag of feelings here, but for the most part it's frustration. I feel like Nolan & Joy are aiming to discuss some great philosophical questions—What makes us "human"? Is there a soul? What is reality? Is immortality achievable, and if so, do we lose our humanity in attaining it? However, the answers presented and even the execution of the questions themselves are uneven, to put it kindly. I know from interviews Nolan & Joy did back for S1 that they were interested in a show where humans weren't the protagonists—but it feels like they spent most of S2 trying to get me to not root for Dolores. And they did a pretty good job of it because I was hoping through the whole third act of the finale that she was really gone. I'm just not really all about rooting for a character that wants to destroy humanity. And that speech she gave "Bernardold" at the end of S2E10 was just further examples of the kind of plot-hole filled writing S2 has been about.
  18. Barry S1: What a surprisingly great dramatic comedy. Bill Hader was rightly nominated for this role for an Emmy. I never knew he had this kind of range. And Kudos to The Fonz for nailing it and snagging an Emmy himself. Oh, and the show is about a hitman who becomes an actor. It’s great.
  19. Orange Is The New Black – S6: Season five was a struggle to get through, but S6 was pretty damn solid. The new characters were interesting and the “prison war” was an interesting look at the negative effects of gang or tribal mentality. And that season finale was some bittersweet dramatic gold wrapped in a damn effective social commentary.
  20. Trial & Error S1 & S2: Both seasons of this oddball comedy that follows the faux-documentary format are great, but S2 takes the gold medal thanks to the addition of Kristin Chenoweth.
  21. Forever (2018) – S1
  22. Lost in Space (2018) – S1
  23. Love – S3
  24. Letterkenny S1 & S2
  25. The Tick (2017) – S1
  26. Jessica Jones – S2
  27. Last Man On Earth – S4
  28. Brooklyn Nine-Nine – S5
  29. Crashing – S2
  30. Everything Sucks! – S1
  31. Luke Cage – S2
  32. Peaky Blinders – S4
  33. Fear The Walking Dead – S3
  34. Evil Genius (Netflix docu-series)
  35. Mr. Robot – S3
  36. David Letterman, My Next Guest Needs No Introduction – S1
  37. Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee (2018)
  38. Hot Ones (Youtube) – S6
  39. Succession – S1
  40. Portlandia – S8
  41. The Walking Dead – S8
  42. Silicon Valley – S5
  43. Arrested Development – S5
  44. AP Bio – S1
  45. Marching Orders – S1

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Wow, I haven't seen the new Arrested Development season - is it really that bad? Worse than The Walking Dead?

Worse than TWD? Not even close. It’s just not as good as the earlier seasons. 

Also, it’s only half the season. Netflix decided to split it up into two parts for some annoying reason.

The Americans

Sharp Objects

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 3 (Part 2)

Westworld

The Bodyguard

Marvellous Mrs Maisel

Derry Girls (how in hell did I forget this on my first list? Hilarious and so enjoyable)

GLOW

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Part 1

Godless

Luke Cage

iZombie

Jessica Jones

Dirk Gently

Maniac (disappointing but Jonah Hill and Emma Stone were fantastic)

A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Iron Fist season 2 (just give misty and Colleen their own show already)

9 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Wow, I haven't seen the new Arrested Development season - is it really that bad? Worse than The Walking Dead?

I haven't watched it yet but I can still say it's better than The Walking Dead.  :lol:

1. The Americans S6 - So sad to see it go. Keri Russell was robbed. 

2. The Deuce S2 - Really strong from start to finish. Amazing production values, terrific acting, an important and illuminating story. I'll predict this is going to be #1 on the list next year, in its final season.

3. The Terror - What a cast! And the production values -- and sound design, in particular -- were great. It lost something in its latter half, I thought, maybe getting a bit messier, but it ended strongly.

4. Sharp Objects - Gorgeous, great cast, some real biting commentary.

5. Better Call Saul S4 - I think this season has been a bit over-praised, because one substantial plot thread was just left on ice (Nacho) and another was dragged out (the Germans). Still, some beautiful cinematography and a great cast.

6. Daredevil S3 - The first time a Marvel Netflix show has gone 13 episodes without pacing issues. Charlie Cox is so good as Matt Murdock, D'Onofrio's very mannered performance is gripping, the production values just seem better than that of the other Marvel shows. And yes, the show has the best fight choreography of any show I've watched this year.

7. GLOW S2 - So 80s, so fun.

8. Westworld S2 - Bit messy but some really clever, and even beautiful, moments. "Kiksuya" should have had all the awards.

9. Barry S1 - Clever, points for casting and performance and macabre humor, but I will say that I find it hard to imagine it working as well in S2. Should have been a one-and-done. 

10. Poldark S4 - Its economy of storytelling is something a lot of shows could learn from. A winsome cast, beautiful landscape to film, and a good dollop of melodrama works well.

11. The Handmaid's Tale S2 - Didn't like the ending much at all.

12. Maniac - First episode blew my mind with its production design, and everything was meticulously shot ... but as it went on, I felt it was saying a lot less than it could have, and was less bold than it appeared at first glance.

13. Homeland S-whatever - Getting long in the tooth, but Mandy Patinkin and Claire Danes remain exceptionally watchable.

14. Godless - Started strong, but I felt it didn't live up to its promise.

15. Silicon Valley - Wearing thin, but still has some spark.

16. Luke Cage - Nothing as great as Mahershala Ali in the first half of S1, nothing so dire as as Diamondback in the second half of S1. It was fine.

17. Jessica Jones - Worse than its first season, and I wasn't that impressed with its first season. Its supporting cast is notably weaker than that of DD and LC. I don't know that I would watch a third season at this rate.

18. Altered Carbon - Tremendous production values, some solid casting, but let down by a showrunner who did not trust her abilities and so made an utter hash of the premise and chief character to shoe-horn in the bit she really liked. Very dubious of a second season being any better, but we'll see.

19. Disenchanted - Uneven, long stretches of not being particularly funny, but never eye-rollingly bad as some of the things listed below it got at certain points.

20. Star Trek Discovery - Very uneven, but has substantial room to improve.

21. Ozark S2 - Watched this for the first time. S1 was substantially better than S2, IMO. Jason Bateman is a non-entity on the show. Laura Linney and Julia Garner are very much the highlights. S2 had enormous amounts of implausibility and dud storylines (like the daughter wanting to be emancipated), and I thought a supporting character like Russ was really lacking.

22. Iron Fist S2 - Better paced, still just kind of ... eh. I don't think any of them really get Iron Fist, and I still think moving away from the Marvel version and turn him into something more Jackie Chan -- substantially more light-hearted and humorous -- could have been interesting even if it'd be a wild departure. The final scene kind of saved it for me a bit -- if there's an S3, I'd be interested in seeing where they go with it.

23. House of Cards S6 - Rushed through it just to finish it after having watched for five seasons. Of course, the 1st season was by the far the best -- and the one that hewed closest to the British original -- and the 2nd season worked but was a step down. It went increasingly downhill after that, and I think only inertia -- and Spacey's performance -- really kept me watching. This final season happened mostly to keep the cast and crew employed for one more year, and was a complete and utter mess that ended with a whimper. Robin Wright did what she could with what she had been given, but her character had always been too one-note and that really didn't change despite efforts to give her flashbacks to her youth. Good on Netflix for caring about the welfare of its employees enough to go one more season, but this show is well-buried.

24. Versailles S3 - I watch it for the beautiful costumes mostly. It was pretty dire, and was never a good show but did have its moments.

ETA: Added placements for the Netflix shows Daredevil and Disenchanted.

ETA #2: And now updated with House of Cards.

ETA #3: Finished The Deuce and bumped it up from #3 to #2.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that we're nearing the year's end here is my ordered list for TV shows that have aired in 2018.

Two points though; Firstly, thanks to recommendations in this forum (and similarly for book recommendations in the Literature Forum), I avoid the chaff that others have taken the hit for. So there is none in this list that I regret having viewed, even if the odd episode may have been flat or a particular character intolerable. Secondly, my original order was rather different to the one presented here - when I looked at it it was pretentious, though, and don't ask me why, but I would've recommended shows in that original order if I was to recommend to a friend. But stuff that - here is the list in order of 'most enjoyment from'.  

Cobra Kai S1
Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan S1
The Good Place S2 (mostly aired in 2017 but last aired 2018, and I only watched it last month)
Bosch S4 

Counterpart S1
Bodyguard
The Good Fight S2

Sharp Objects
The Expanse S3
Altered Carbon S1

Star Trek Discovery S1
iZombie S4
Elementary S6
Iron Fist S2
Killing Eve S1
Luke Cage S2
Jessica Jones S2

Not yet seen;
Westworld S2
The Handhaid's Tale S2

I've finished season 3 of The Man in the High Castle. Not as good as the previous two seasons. There a few character arcs that I really didn't know why we were following, as they had very little connection with the main arc. There were some brilliant, high tension scenes, and the main actors continued to be great. The season also wasn't quite as large scale as the trailers hinted.

1. The Expanse
  2. Westworld
  3. Altered Carbon
  4. Lost in Space
  5. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
  6. Cobra Kai
  7. Luke Cage
  8. Iron Fist
  9. Jessica Jones
  10. The Man in the High Castle
  11. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
  12. Legion
  13. The Terror
  14. Homeland
  15. The First
  16. Star Wars Rebels
  17. iZombie
  18. Star Trek Discovery
  19. Krypton
  20. Troy: Fall of a City
  21. The Walking Dead
  22. Black Lightning
  23. Designated Survivor
  24. Britannia
  25. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

A new #1 show for me this year.

1. Daredevil
  2. The Expanse
  3. Westworld
  4. Altered Carbon
  5. Lost in Space
  6. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
  7. Cobra Kai
  8. Luke Cage
  9. Iron Fist
  10. Jessica Jones
  11. The Man in the High Castle
  12. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
  13. Legion
  14. The Terror
  15. Homeland
  16. The First
  17. Star Wars Rebels
  18. iZombie
  19. Star Trek Discovery
  20. Krypton
  21. Troy: Fall of a City
  22. The Walking Dead
  23. Black Lightning
  24. Designated Survivor
  25. Britannia
  26. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow

On 10/22/2018 at 3:56 PM, Corvinus said:

A new #1 show for me this year.

1. Daredevil
  2. The Expanse
  3. Westworld
  4. Altered Carbon
  5. Lost in Space
  6. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
  7. Cobra Kai
  8. Luke Cage
  9. Iron Fist
  10. Jessica Jones
  13. Legion
  14. The Terror
  15. Homeland
  16. The First
  17. Star Wars Rebels
  18. iZombie
  19. Star Trek Discovery
  20. Krypton
  21. Troy: Fall of a City
  22. The Walking Dead
  23. Black Lightning
  24. Designated Survivor
  25. Britannia
  26. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow

I have a question for everyone who's up to date with the Marvel Netflix shows. I haven't had the time to see either S2 of Luke Cage or Iron Fist or start Daredevil yet (a combination of me being flooded with work and me also having been distracted by some other shows I'm binging). Can I jump straight into Daredevil season 3, or would it be better to watch LC and IF first, if there's anything in those shows that overlaps or that DD would spoil? Most of the time they're all pretty separate from each other, but you never know.

The only thing you'd spoil is The Defenders, whose central plot was really just a continuation of DD S2. The end of that mini-series is key to the start of DD S3.

You definitely do not need to have watched LC S2 or IF S2.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

The only thing you'd spoil is The Defenders, whose central plot was really just a continuation of DD S2. The end of that mini-series is key to the start of DD S3.

You definitely do not need to have watched LC S2 or IF S2.

Thanks. I've seen The Defenders, and JJ season 2. I was up to date with the Marvel Netflix shows till LC season 2.

1. The Americans Season 6
  2. Daredevil Season 3
  3. The Handmaid's Tale Season 2
  4. Sense8 Finale
  5. Killing Eve Season 1
  6. The Expanse Season 3
  7. This is Us Season 2
  8. The Good Fight Season 2
  9. Altered Carbon
  10. Jessica Jones Season 2
  11. Lost in Space Season 1
  12. The Chi Season 1
  13. Will & Grace Season 9
  14. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  15. 13 Reasons Why Season 2
  16. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  17. Young Sheldon Season 1

There was always a limit in how much you can actually say in a superhero story, but this season of Daredevil showed that you can indeed say much more than people think. I don't know which aspect truly amazed me  whether it is dichotomy between Matt Murdock and Daredevil, Kingpin's marvelous plot, Poindexter's subplot or religious aspect of the story, which truly remains unique on American TV landscape. Charlie Cox did wonders this season (just to add that his "blindness" is actually not caused by the usual lenses actors use but Cox trained that too and managed to do it, in my book, absolutely perfectly.). D'Onofrio was always the elephant in the room - he managed to portray that aura of uncomfortability around him in a way that I can't remember I was so affected by one's performance. Nicely executed twists, not getting too repetitive in a season that truly showed the depth and quality not just of the source materials but of everyone and everything included in this show. 

I've had difficulty placing Bodyguard, and at this time, I'd say it could fall anywhere between 11-16th spots. It started out well but then in had it's ups and downs. Strong high tension scenes, but a plot that was way too convoluted for its own good. Richard Madden improved from his days as Robb Stark and the lead in the first season of Medici, but still has ways to go.

1. Daredevil
  2. The Expanse
  3. Westworld
  4. Altered Carbon
  5. Lost in Space
  6. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
  7. Cobra Kai
  8. Luke Cage
  9. Iron Fist
  10. Jessica Jones
  13. Bodyguard
  14. Legion
  15. The Terror
  16. Homeland
  17. The First
  18. Star Wars Rebels
  19. iZombie
  20. Star Trek Discovery
  21. Krypton
  22. Troy: Fall of a City
  23. The Walking Dead
  24. Black Lightning
  25. Designated Survivor
  26. Britannia
  27. The CW superhero shows: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow

With The Deuce finished, I've bumped it up into my #2 show of the year, behind the final season of The Americans. It'll almost certainly be my best show of the year next year, if it maintains its quality in its own final season.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

With The Deuce finished, I've bumped it up into my #2 show of the year, behind the final season of The Americans. It'll almost certainly be my best show of the year next year, if it maintains its quality in its own final season.

I think the Deuce is going to wind up a bit higher for me too. I've watched both seasons this year which is making it hard to just judge this season but it's very strong my top 15 so far are

1.      The americans

2.      Sharp objects

3.      Killing Eve

4.      Bodyguard

5.      lost in space

6.      Atlanta s2

7.      The good place s1 and 2 +3

8.      Patrick Melrose

9.      Better call saul season 4

10.   The dragon prince

11.   The deuce season 1+2

12.   Big mouth season 2

13.   The haunting of Houe Hill

14.   Black earth rising

15.   Jack ryan season 1

What I'm learning this year is that show's can fluctuate quite strongly in their quality from week to week. Black Earth Rising has swung from ok to excellent to "dragged out" and I don't think I'll know how strong that show has been until I've finished the whole thing. Similarly Patrick Melrose would be at the bottom (of my much longer list) had I given up on the first episode. I really disliked it and it was only because someone on the entertainment forum said "watch the second episode" that I gave it another try and now it's one of those shows that's really sticking with me and improving the more I think about it. There's also a couple of shows I've been catching up on and if they are ongoing that's definitely bolstering their presence on my list. If "leftovers" had aired this season it would be top 3. As it is there's only the top 3 that I currently feel have been excellent throughout with their own distinct style/voice.

Looking forward to "last kingdom" season 3 with what's two seasons worth of episodes and very curious about Narcos so I think there's still time for the list to change quite a bit before the year is out. Need to decide whether I'll count "watership down" as tv or film when it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

@red snowHuh, I dug Jack Ryan S1. It was largely plot driven, but that's what I expect from Tom Clancy. I'll probably put it in my Top 20 once I update my list.

Speaking of which, apparently I really need to watch The Deuce. It looked okay from the trailers, but it's never been a priority to watch for me. It's gotten a lot of praise in here, so I'm going to do my best to knock out S1-2 before the year is out. I still have ST:Discovery S1, Legion S2, Atlanta S2, and a few others to catch up on as well.

On 10/1/2018 at 2:20 PM, briantw said:

I haven't watched it yet but I can still say it's better than The Walking Dead.  :lol:

:rolleyes: I know it's popular to hate on TWD here, but I still stand by my listing TWD S8 still slightly higher than AD S5. Now, TWD S9, ehhhh,--maybe not so much. I'd have to re-watch AD S5 again to say for sure, and there's no way I'm doing that. If you do watch AD S5, which you should if you're a real fan, just go in with extremely lowered expectations. I really liked AD S4 and was eagerly anticipating S5, so the rushed nature of the writing and production really disappointed me.

1. The Americans (S6)
  2. Sharp Objects
  3. The Good Place (S2/S3)
  4. The Alienist 
  5. The Expanse (S3)
  6. Dietland
  7. Jessica Jones (S2)
  8. The 100 (S5)
  9. Black Lightning
  10. Agents of SHIELD (S5)
  11. Cloak and Dagger 
  12. The Gifted
  13. Runaways
  14. Deception
  15.  Star Trek: Discovery
  16.  The X-Files (S11)

Yesterday I finished my binge of this show (which I started a couple of months ago). I wrote about the show overall in the 2017 thread and the Watch... thread after finishing S4.  The show has its ups and downs. I was told that season 5 was as bad or maybe worse than season 3, which I hated and which was a huge mess, but that wasn't the case. However, it had some really annoying stuff: a return of a very annoying plot point from season 3, which got a lot of attention and screentime, and one of the worst 'romantic' relationships I've ever seen on screen - it has an awful, toxic setup, is 'developed' entirely off-screen and in a lazy way, and has no chemistry whatsoever (also, one half of it is an extremely annoying and badly written supporting character played by an awful actress who can't emote at all). But fortunately, it didn't take that much screentime, as it's really obvious to anyone paying attention that it's just there to create an obstacle, but every time it was on screen, I felt like I was watching a telenovela, and their sex scene felt like one of the sex scenes from The Room. And generally, the amount of stuff that was covered off-screen was this season's biggest problem. But a lot of other things were interesting and compelling - but it wasn't as good as seasons 2 or 4 or even season one. More than anything, it felt like a setup for season 6, which is going to air the next year.

I would rank the seasons: season 2 > season 4 (they are pretty close and much better than the rest) >>> season 1 > season 5 > season 3.

1. Gomorrah S3- Not as good as the amazing first 2 seasons but still pretty great. There is just not a wasted scene in this show. 

2. Sharp Objects

3. Westworld S2 

4. Maniac- I enjoyed this a lot. Along with the 2 stars, Sonoya Mizuno and Justin Theroux were excellent.

5. Better Call Saul

6. American Horror Story: Apocalypse- I haven’t watched since season 3 but figured I would give it a shot after hearing characters from those seasons would be back. It was obnoxious and silly but entertaining enough for me to finish. Will probably not watch another one though. 

I’m 3 episodes into Narcos so that will be in there later. Basically 3 through 5 on my list were inconsistent throughout. A lot of ups and downs but I thought they all ended strongly. 

Archived