Would Lady Stoneheart kill Roslin?

Angel Eyes

Say when Roslin Frey-Tully travels to Casterly Rock, she bumps into Lady Stoneheart? Would she be spared for her child is Edmure's? Would Lady Stoneheart hang Roslin for being a Frey and possibly being part of the Red Wedding, and kill Baby Tully to boot for his Frey blood? Or would she just kill Roslin and spare the baby?

I think there's absolutely no question that if Stoneheart gets her hands on Roslin, she hangs her, pregnant or not. Stoneheart has no rationality. She saw the tears, plus Roslin's a Frey, and, well, Valar Freygulis. Plus it makes thematic sense that in wanting to avenge the murders of her family, Stoneheart becomes a kinslayer.

Actually she momentarily humanizes with her about the bedding and if she does kill a baby that is her niece/nephew BWB might look for a more Alice leader.

Roslin had no choice either way, she would likely be given away to highest bidder or made to suffer for her slight against house Frey. 

Its a great question actually. But like robb’s Squires maybe not all Frey’s are homicidal maniacs. But I’d be a little refreshed if some more Frey’s dropped so maybe I’m the madman 

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Say when Roslin Frey-Tully travels to Casterly Rock, she bumps into Lady Stoneheart? Would she be spared for her child is Edmure's? Would Lady Stoneheart hang Roslin for being a Frey and possibly being part of the Red Wedding, and kill Baby Tully to boot for his Frey blood? Or would she just kill Roslin and spare the baby?

Why would Stoneheart kill her brother's baby? She also knew the girl was crying before the wedding. Catelyn knows what it is to be a father's daughter. Why would she kill Roslin?

2 hours ago, Ser Frasier of House Crane said:

Stoneheart has no rationality.

She manipulated Brienne into getting her Jaime, what do you call that, if not rational?

She didn't even hang her for serving the Lannisters, but for not giving her property back when the conditions were not met. Even Jaime has no good reply when the Blackfish offers him back his old cell in Riverrun. I don't know why people think of Stoneheart as some force of evil, or a madwoman.

41 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Killing all anyone she gets her hands on,

You must mean when she killed Septon Maribald. Oh, wait...

42 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

and the complete character assassination of Catelyn Stark.

Are you sure? Catelyn wanted to kill her enemies. She killed Jinglebell when Walder didn't concede to an exchange. What else is Stoneheart doing?

9 hours ago, lAPPYc said:

Why would Stoneheart kill her brother's baby?

Possibly because the babe gives Walder Frey a stake in Riverrun. Edmure can marry again. Sure, Roslyn seemed unhappy about her role in the Red Wedding, but she played it anyway, to the hilt (sorry.)

Remember, Stoneheart Cat is not a mindless zombie killing machine, like the ice wights. She's a focused, driven fire-wight who remembers and appears to still have much of her old political acumen.

If Roslin has given birth then I would say Lady Stoneheart would 100% hang her. Yes she saw the tears at the wedding but Roslin did nothing to stop the massacre. Stoneheart would see this as her being involved in the plot and would have no problem killing her, sister-in-law or not.

If Roslin is pregnant then it's confusing as we don't really know how Stoneheart would feel about an innocent baby. Being Edmure's could save it. However we know that she has no issue with killing children; she was going to hang Podrick after all.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Stoneheart would imprison Roslin until the child is born and if she survives childbirth (it's been hinted that she won't), Stoneheart will hang her and try and install the child as heir to Riverrun.

2 hours ago, AmberEmpress said:

If Roslin has given birth then I would say Lady Stoneheart would 100% hang her. Yes she saw the tears at the wedding but Roslin did nothing to stop the massacre. Stoneheart would see this as her being involved in the plot and would have no problem killing her, sister-in-law or not.

If Roslin is pregnant then it's confusing as we don't really know how Stoneheart would feel about an innocent baby. Being Edmure's could save it. However we know that she has no issue with killing children; she was going to hang Podrick after all.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Stoneheart would imprison Roslin until the child is born and if she survives childbirth (it's been hinted that she won't), Stoneheart will hang her and try and install the child as heir to Riverrun.

Podrick is a lot older than a newly born baby, but I also don't think we know she was going to hang him. The entire scene, likely including what Thoros told Brienne in private earlier, was an attempt to manipulate Brienne into doing something she wouldn't normally contemplate. And because it is presented from Brienne's point of view, it can also mislead the reader.

While Lady Stoneheart is a more nuanced character than some people think she does harbor an implacable hatred for the Freys. I think she'd kill Roslin if she could. As to how Edmure would feel, Catelyn never trusted his judgement much anyhow so she wouldn't let him influence her judgement.

2 hours ago, Makk said:

Podrick is a lot older than a newly born baby, but I also don't think we know she was going to hang him. The entire scene, likely including what Thoros told Brienne in private earlier, was an attempt to manipulate Brienne into doing something she wouldn't normally contemplate. And because it is presented from Brienne's point of view, it can also mislead the reader.

Yes, this is why i dissagree with whole "LSH will kills Frey babies".

2 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

While Lady Stoneheart is a more nuanced character than some people think she does harbor an implacable hatred for the Freys. I think she'd kill Roslin if she could. As to how Edmure would feel, Catelyn never trusted his judgement much anyhow so she wouldn't let him influence her judgement.

Yes this.  Stoneheart is not this mindless creature many portray her as on here.  She is of course consumed by revenge on the Freys and is certainly a "darker shadow" than Beric but she is also capable of compassion and differentiating friend from foe.  We've seen that she has set up or at least is involved with and supports the orphanage at the Crossroads Inn.  

But yeah, I do think she would kill Roslin happily.  From her perspective, Roslin was involved in the Red Wedding moreso even than many other Freys.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-02-27 at 4:17 AM, Angel Eyes said:

I don't think Stoneheart would spare Roslin post-partum. If she is still carrying she has a window to sway Stoneheart's motherly sympathies.

They baby can out-Tully the Freys from the Twins once winter had its way with them.

I'm more curious to what Stoneheart would do about Edmure. They were on crappy terms before the RW and now he is travelling with his new cute family to live with the Lannisters after he gave away Riverrun? It aint cool.

I'm afraid she would. Crying or not, Roslin still played her part in the Red Wedding, and her baby would be an heir to Riverrun and Edmure's death. Not good options for poor Roslin, I'm afraid.

If Cat spares Jaime's life - and she is likely to do that, considering the guy is completely at her mercy now and has no chance of escaping her clutches on his own - she might also spare Roslin's life.

She also spared Brienne's life, presumably along with Pod's and Hyle Hunt's. She can compromise when she has to. And if she ended up freeing Edmure along with Roslin she would likely spare her life simply because her brother asked her to.

If Edmure doesn't survive she might kill both Roslin and the unborn child to ensure that they do not endanger her own position as the Lady of Riverrun. Cat will retake her father's castle and put down both Genna and Emmon - Jaime will likely have to watch while they put down his aunt and uncle - and then she will control the Riverrun and the adjacent lands. The news that Catelyn Stark has conquered death will have quite an effect on the population of the Riverlands as well as Westeros at large.

Even if Edmure were to live, Cat will control him, his lords, and lords while she is still alive. She is the powerful magical creature. The others are just mortal men.

She might be a twisted creature, but her being alive is also a miracle. It will put fear and awe in the hearts of the people, being seen as a divine sign that the gods do not abandon mankind and that the wicked do not triumph over the righteous in the end. There must be a reason why the gods brought her back, no?

Very few people will dare to speak up against - or openly oppose - Catelyn's final solution of the Frey (and Lannister) problem.

Brienne had an utility for crazy Cat. She is cold and calculating, not emotional. I can't see any use for Roslin so she most probably be killed. If there is a purpose behind her actions that are not purely vengeful or character hacking (as in a force that "cleans" the sector of some characters to situate others in their stead), I'm sure we'll see it soon enough in Winds. Should be a terrific book with characters like Euron and Cat and the Others gravitating now as a certain variable in the setting.

Jaime, on the other hand... If he gets near Cat, he's dead.

Archived